Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm still here. I tried to rep you both, leanansidhex & greg42, also but gotta spread it around 1st.

To all 3 of you here -THANKS SOO MUCH as it gives me alot more handle/control & calming re: this. I admit I emotionally flew off w/ denial or whatever, only to come back w/ you guys saying all you've done. It makes me realize that support is always on here & great ideas are pointed out. The best idea in this case will be the radiation therapy, w/ the meds asap now, to get her level T4 down to do the radiation.

I will know more Monday after seeing the "cat" doc, as she is ONLY a cat doc, & thus her tech told me the BEST way will be the radiation. If it were "her cat", then, "she'd do radiation vs surgery even though she'd get a discount on the surgery". I guess that tells the story thus far. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Ha, reps, I don't care about reps. I always just hope some of my rambling posts help some people here and there.

I'm not sure when the surgery is ever used at this point. I don't think it's significantly less costly than the iodine. Perhaps if someone is in a really remote area, far from one of the treatment centers, vets would still do surgery for this.

I'm rather biased towards cat-only vets. Amber has been to two vets in her life, and both of them only see cats. She's never seen a dog, ever, to my knowledge. I know there are lots of great vets though and not everyone has this option. I am just lucky to have the cat clinic where she goes very nearby (it's about 5 miles away).

Anyway, hope you were able to sleep well last night with the knowledge there are good options for treating/curing this problem.

Did you look into how close you are to a facility where they do the radioiodine treatment? That would probably be a good thing to do. It typically is not just anywhere. The vet will know this, though. If you are in or near a large city there will be one near you.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Greg & Leanansidhex, again thanks.

Yes, we're setup w/ Oncology on the 19th for Radiation Iodine. Hope it goes ok. I will be on later, as I'm needing to run now but thanks alot for this effort. I will DM you both tonite. I have some things to ask you all so standby for more noise from me.

As I said it my URI/24 hr thread above, I'm still not sure what this is/was but she is seeming to clear the sick/cold hurdle, w/ almost no sneeze/watery-eye is dry/poop is semi-hard vs all wet, but still peed outside box on my bed today (but may be issue w/ the thyroid causing it).

We'll see when the Oncologist sees her & retests again her blood.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Greg & Leanansidhex, again thanks.
, but still peed outside box on my bed today (but may be issue w/ the thyroid causing it).

We'll see when the Oncologist sees her & retests again her blood.
Saber never had an issue with inappropriate elimination, you should quickly research if hyperthyroid could cause this. I don't Think it sounds likely, but that is just a guess on my part.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 AM

Quick update:

I think peeing outside or straining/running around & crying before pooping may be signs of hyperthroid too, but unsure totally. But today's update is that she has been on Methamizole since Thurs. & seems to be tired & lethargic alot. She does have good appetite & I keep researching crazy things like cat cancers or kidney/liver disease.

I know that her symptoms align w/ hyperthyroid, & vet thinks so, but I worry (as all pet owners) that he could be missing another masking illness. I know I'm worry wort but can't help this neurotic worry.

Ok, more as I know.

PS - You guys are SUPER, & thanks alot for putting up w/ me & being there to calm/research/backup my insanity. I don't want to drink a jug of wine to deal w/ this nightly.I got to say, Leananisdhex, greg 42 & catsmom are otustanding support people & we're ALL lucky they exist on this board. Even if you guys aren't real, you sure make me feel beyond relieved time & time again. I just want to rule out the worst case scenarios & w/ your help I'm able to keep a grip on me. I NEVER ever loved an animal like her, & this is why this hurts so much seeing ANY distress in her. I try to remain calm around her but it isn't easy. My worry seems to supercede my control mechanism & thus, I struggle to regain balance 24/7 since this began last Mon. w/ what I thought was just sneezing, lethargy/URI infection.

Last edited by movintime; 03-11-2012 at 01:15 AM..

Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 AM

I think she has a UTI. That's were I would put my energy into researching right now, you know what, I'll do it, right now, and post here when I find the information.

The symptoms of hyperthyroid are not the same as having the blood work confirm it, which it did.

Hyperthyroid is the illness that can mask other diseases not the other way around, as I understand it.

So, the diagnosis of hyperthyroid, confirmed by blood work, is step #1.

I would assume they will do her blood work again before the Iodine treatment.
At that time, ask the vet if she will have been on Methamizole long enough at that time to be able to discern any other diseases (liver, kidney etc.) and will the tests that they run check for these possibly masked illnesses. That's step #2.

I can be considered high-strung by people who are incompetent and are getting on my last nerve, but you need to try to have a calm energy? around your cat, and let her feel confident that you can handle this, so SHE doesn't have to worry.

Stress is not what SHE needs now. I so not picking on you, and I don't really have a language to express what I'm trying to convey ... but I think you know what I mean.

You'll both be fine.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 AM

"(Straining to urinate is easily confused with straining to poop.)"

Cat Illness Symptoms

FULTD – Feline Urinary Lower Tract Disease or FUS

FULTD is a common and serious disease and deserves immediate attention. In some cases, it can be fatal if not treated.

Cat illness symptoms of feline urinary tract disease include:

... frequent trips to the litter box
... excessive urinating (pollakiuria)

... squatting and straining to urinate (pee) with little or no results
... crying or howling because urinating is painful

> continued >

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I think she has a UTI. That's were I would put my energy into researching right now, you know what, I'll do it, right now, and post here when I find the information.

The symptoms of hyperthyroid are not the same as having the blood work confirm it, which it did.

Hyperthyroid is the illness that can mask other diseases not the other way around, as I understand it.

So, the diagnosis of hyperthyroid, confirmed by blood work, is step #1.

I would assume they will do her blood work again before the Iodine treatment.
At that time, ask the vet if she will have been on Methamizole long enough at that time to be able to discern any other diseases (liver, kidney etc.) and will the tests that they run check for these possibly masked illnesses. That's step #2.

I can be considered high-strung by people who are incompetent and are getting on my last nerve, but you need to try to have a calm energy? around your cat, and let her feel confident that you can handle this, so SHE doesn't have to worry.

Stress is not what SHE needs now. I so not picking on you, and I don't really have a language to express what I'm trying to convey ... but I think you know what I mean.

You'll both be fine.
Haha, thanks & after my 3rd wine I'm calm & fine.

But you're right, I realize my stress/worry can transmit to her via the close bond we have. I am feeding her some dry kibble thruout today just to test/stimulate appetite, & it is working thus pointing to hyperthyroidism symptoms w/ this eating & not refusing food. I worried a bit that her appetite decreasing would indicate other issues.

Her blood work is here in front of me as I reasearch cat blood work all wkend long. If you want any values just ask, & maybe we can amateur diagnose or rule any other ideas in or out or at least run things past me that I'm acting way offbase but too subjective to see.

Overall, I'm much calmer now that she's eating well, she's calmer w/ her meds (she also has an injected antibiotic he gave her on Wed. lasting a wk or so too in her thus tiing her maybe), & realizing she has't vomited/diarrhea'd today & her stool (tho a bit dark this morn but not really tarry) is fairly solid & not real mushy/soft as in watery. It is hardening up so that is good sign I think.

Thanks again you.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 AM

I would cut way down on the dry food, just dole it out she doesn't notice and get stressed, cause all the information I can find for her inappropriate elimination issues leads to FLUTD or UTI.

I would ask my vet why he ruled them out, and then ask "why IS she having problems?"

Last edited by leanansidhex; 03-11-2012 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Yes these fine folks are helping you right now in this crisis but please remember there are many of us who are reading and gaining knowledge as well. I am waiting test results on blood taken yesterday for Oscar who is losing weight slowly.

The people on CD are truly angels who are willing to put time and effort on behalf of others they don't even know. Who knows how many folks and cats will be positively impacted by these generous people?

So on behalf of those of us who are learning as well, we all thank you supreme posters who are helping the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats