Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,613 times

Advertisements

Our 3 -year-old kitty has been diagnosed with gingivitis recently.

We believe she may have had this developing for a while. What we noticed was mainly bad breath. At the vet's for a check-up last week we were told she has gingivitis and were given an oral rinse to use on her daily.

Well, she absolutely HATES this rinse. It takes three of us to hold her down and put a small amount on her gums. We're doing it, at least for the time being, but wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with this gum disease and could offer any insights on how to best treat it -- and possibly with the least stress to the cat.

For a little background, our kitty has eaten mostly dry food, a grain-free duck and pea formula, for most of her life. About 3 weeks ago we switched her to an all wet diet which she has accepted well. We had been meaning to but were slow to jump in with both feet.

I don't want to debate the wet food/dry food comparisons but just thought I'd describe her past and present eating habits. The vet said that if the gums aren't successfully treated with either this rinse or oral meds, she will probably lose ALL her teeth except for the front ones and fangs and that "many cats do fine without these teeth."

We definitely don't want to go there if we don't absolutely need to. That sounds so drastic.

Have you had a kitty with gum disease and if so was it successfully treated without the loss of their teeth?

Thank you for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
My cat had an issue that wasn't treatable and lost all his teeth in the first 5 years. He is now 12, healthy as can be and you would never know he was missing them unless you looked. He has a very easy time eating dry food or little pieces of chicken (for example).

Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
did vet suggest a cleaning where they sedate her? it is done for dogs all the time but i've never had a cat who got a dental cleaning but it surely wouldn't hurt.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Cats get dental cleanings all the time. I would start with that. While she is sedated and having her cleaning, the vet can do a complete inspection of her mouth and form an evaluation and prognosis that way.

Many cats who have stomatitis or chronic gingivitis actually do much better without their teeth, because then they are free of the pain and stress the pain causes.

However, I would get a second opinion before going that route. There are many other things that can be done now. Genetic dental health problems like this are often related to the immune system. Atopica (cyclosporine) is now being tried to treat these kinds of problems, I believe.

The first step, which you have already started, would be to improve her diet. No kibble. Grain free canned, or even, if you feel able, after thoroughly researching, switch to a raw diet.

I do know a cat with very bad stomatitis whose symptoms have disappeared after being put on a raw diet. But it is a lot of work.

I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

The vet examined her teeth and said they were in good shape. It is just her gums affected. He did not suggest a dental cleaning, which I know is done for cats, having done them in the past.

He isn't suggesting the teeth be removed at this point. That would be the end result if these treatments don't work. But he sounded very matter of fact about the teeth removal and it struck me as drastic.

He wants us to continue this rinse and see if it clears things up. He did mention an oral med but I didn't get the name. It could have been Atopica.

The whole dry food/wet food controversy is always at play it seems. The vet tech showing us how to use the rinse began telling us to feed dry for our cat's entire life, that is is fine for them and in fact helps clean their teeth.

I am not of that opinion at all and could only cringe to think she (and countless others) are offering what I consider to be misinformation. When I asked about the chronic dehydration caused by a lifetime of dry food which can cause far more severe medical problems than oral issues, she had no answer.

She also had no answer when I pointed out that our cat has, up until only about 3 weeks ago, been eating exclusively dry food, and has obviously not been spared oral health troubles.

I have read a lot about a raw diet and think it has its merits but can't do it now. We also have a cat with kidney disease and possibly diabetes, so at least for the time being we're feeding wet food all around.

I am surprised to hear that cats do well without their teeth but that is why I am posting, to learn. Of course, we'll try the rinse and then the meds before considering teeth removal. She's been living with this condition and doesn't appear to be in pain, but I know how well cats hide their discomfort.

We want her to feel good.

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Pet Grooming, Healthy Pet Supply and Pet Care Products | Oxyfresh.com

My vet recommended I put this in my FIV+ kitties water.....so now they all get it.....including the dog. FIV+ kitties are prone to gum disease. So far, over one year.....his gums are still healthy.

I use the Oral Hygine Solution that you put in the water.....no color, no taste, no smell.....they don't even know it's in there. It's relatively inexpensive too...you only use one teaspoon per quart of water.

Since your kitty already has gum disease, he may need more agressive treatment to cure it, maybe not, I don't know, but once it is cured, this may be an easy way to keep his gums healthy from then on.

{They also have oral health products for humans.}

Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Pet Grooming, Healthy Pet Supply and Pet Care Products | Oxyfresh.com

My vet recommended I put this in my FIV+ kitties water.....so now they all get it.....including the dog. FIV+ kitties are prone to gum disease. So far, over one year.....his gums are still healthy.

I use the Oral Hygine Solution that you put in the water.....no color, no taste, no smell.....they don't even know it's in there. It's relatively inexpensive too...you only use one teaspoon per quart of water.

Since your kitty already has gum disease, he may need more agressive treatment to cure it, maybe not, I don't know, but once it is cured, this may be an easy way to keep his gums healthy from then on.

{They also have oral health products for humans.}
Hey thanks! I like tasteless odorless and not too pricey. I'll keep this in mind.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
I am surprised to hear that cats do well without their teeth but that is why I am posting, to learn.
We had a toothless wonder, due to severe stomatitis. He lost all his molars, but keep all the "smile" teeth. And he still preferred dry food! He lived many happy, drooly years. However, keeping teeth is still preffered.

I would get the teeth cleaned - that is necessary to remove pockets of infection and treat gingivitis, not just to remove plaque and preserve the teeth.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
The vet examined her teeth and said they were in good shape. It is just her gums affected. He did not suggest a dental cleaning, which I know is done for cats, having done them in the past.

He isn't suggesting the teeth be removed at this point. That would be the end result if these treatments don't work. But he sounded very matter of fact about the teeth removal and it struck me as drastic.

He wants us to continue this rinse and see if it clears things up. He did mention an oral med but I didn't get the name. It could have been Atopica.

The whole dry food/wet food controversy is always at play it seems. The vet tech showing us how to use the rinse began telling us to feed dry for our cat's entire life, that is is fine for them and in fact helps clean their teeth.

I am not of that opinion at all and could only cringe to think she (and countless others) are offering what I consider to be misinformation. When I asked about the chronic dehydration caused by a lifetime of dry food which can cause far more severe medical problems than oral issues, she had no answer.

She also had no answer when I pointed out that our cat has, up until only about 3 weeks ago, been eating exclusively dry food, and has obviously not been spared oral health troubles.

I have read a lot about a raw diet and think it has its merits but can't do it now. We also have a cat with kidney disease and possibly diabetes, so at least for the time being we're feeding wet food all around.

I am surprised to hear that cats do well without their teeth but that is why I am posting, to learn. Of course, we'll try the rinse and then the meds before considering teeth removal. She's been living with this condition and doesn't appear to be in pain, but I know how well cats hide their discomfort.

We want her to feel good.

Thanks!
Indoor domestic cats can manage, because even though they are obligate carnivores, they don't have to hunt, kill and rent their prey.

"Even kibble" because cats don't really chew kibble anyway. Most take one crunch, if that, and swallow, or, scoop it up with the tongue and just swallow whole.

Canned food is either licked with the tongue (the tongue has little hairs facing the other way like barbs, to draw back into the mouth anything they take into the mouth), or taken into the mouth with a chomp, then pulled back with the tongue and swallowed. So, while it's always better if they can keep their teeth of course, as long as they remain inside and fed by humans, they can do without them if they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
We had a toothless wonder, due to severe stomatitis. He lost all his molars, but keep all the "smile" teeth. And he still preferred dry food! He lived many happy, drooly years. However, keeping teeth is still preffered.

I would get the teeth cleaned - that is necessary to remove pockets of infection and treat gingivitis, not just to remove plaque and preserve the teeth.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM

I have to wonder why the vet didn't suggest a cleaning???
I didn't say anything about not wanting to do it that's for sure.

I'm interested in meaningful treatments, but maybe he's a minimalist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats