Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times

Advertisements

Back when I had cats who would attack bees and centipedes Benadryl was fairly popular in our house. Olivia would do everything in their power to avoid taking it so once the syringe spilled all over the flailing paws and she had to lick it off. Not an ideal way to give it to a cat, but sometimes things don't go as planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,296 times
Hi everyone. Benadryl is kinda versatile, it can make you sleepy and help with allergies but some people get antsy when they take it. My vet has had me give it to both the dogs and the cats for allergic reactions. I much prefer giving it to the dogs though, LOL

When I have to give Orion meds I use syringes, without a needle of course, and squirt the liquid into his mouth. I've found that's the best way with him, he's a sweetie but is almost impossible to get any kind of med into and squirting liquid works best with him.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Benadryl is VERY bitter. I have had terrible luck with it and cats, even the children's stuff. Ask your vet about chlortrimetron instead (another antihistamine). It's way less offensive. If Pill Pockets don't work, you can coat the cut end with butter and slide it down his throat.

On another note, it's too late now, but in the future I would reconsider using Convenia. There have been horrible side effects (and deaths) related to this injection. Here is some information: Convenia: Worth the Risk? by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Long-acting antibiotic for cats that can have serious side effects

Old 09-21-2014, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,337 times
Default Greenies, Benedryl and Homeopathy

Unlike many others, I have NO luck with Greenies. Both my cats must be truly psychic as they know the minute I think about doing that to them...putting a pill in a Greenie...they're determined to not even sniff the treat. They simply wil not eat them. So, I too have a cat that needs Bendryl and in breaking up the 25 mg. human doesage into quarters (not easy to do but the Vet said that's the correct dosage...about 8mg., she salivates all over herself as the pill must be extremey bitter. So now I'm moving on to the children's liquid Bendryl with no dyes. Hoping I can use a syringe to squirt it in her mouth without her salivating it all out immediately. Its just not easy and this is the last hope for all her itching. Every other diagnosis and medication (including considering that pain my be the culprit for scratching)has not worked. I think its allergy related as I live in Texas and even we humans have a tough time. Every season here has its own high allergen count in one form or another. Wish me luck. Both Beauty (my cat) and I are worn out form the scratching. Wish I knew of a homeopathic remedy. If anyone does...please post.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
We resort to compounding of medication. Less dangerous to humans:>)

Old 07-21-2015, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,118 times
Pill poppers available on line are remarkable. Cat by scruff? Pull scruff back til cat meows I protest. Take syrynge type pill popper withv1/2 benadryl for kids tablet? Backed up with allowable water in the popper? Pop pill into cats mouth as deep as you can get it n drop popper close cats out n rub cats throat n hug m love cat n let it run off. Cat will boogie off.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,073 times
I know this is an old thread resurrected, but I KNOW people are searching for this all the time (I was 2 weeks ago), so I'll give my 2 cents.

If the pill is bitter and makes them salivate, buy some #4 empty gel caps and put the tablet piece(s) inside it. MUCH easier to get it down their throats that way, at least if they swallow it before it starts to dissolve.

Also, the above mentioned pill popper. The one I bought is called "Buster", I think, from amazon. Pull SMALL amount of water up in it, put the capsule in the end (the #4s fit perfectly) and shoot it into the cat's mouth. Yep, you still have to do that part. I always have at least 4 capsules ready because if one comes out of her mouth, it might be too "tacky" to be successful on a second attempt (though I have done it). When that happens, I later empty the contents of the compromised gelcap into a new one (so I'm not wasting medicine). OR, you can get it compounded into gel caps, but it gets costlier to waste them.

And my biggest tip is when it's time to catch kitty for her meds--mine was suspicious of me starting on day 3 of meds. She wouldn't come near me for a treat even during a non-pill time period. So, before going to get her, I have everything ready. Then I start mentally counting backwards from 100 to empty my mind of thoughts about her. When they can't sense your "worry" thoughts (of "oh gee--wonder if I'll be able to catch her before she runs under the bed" or "oh how I hate giving her a pill", etc.), they don't have anything to react to. I can walk right up to her.

One time was a big fail--a capsule started dissolving before she could spit it out and she was foaming and racing through the house. I waited about 20 mins for the foaming to stop. I tried to get close to her during this time just to mop up her mess, and she'd run each time. However, when I needed to catch her again to make another attempt, with the counting backwards (this time I really needed distraction and counted down from 300 by 3s because I was going to need to carry her down the stairs, and she's as slippery as mercury when she wants down), I walked right up to her and made it to the kitchen island (the site of the crime) with her before she reacted. Just wish it would help me with the actual pill insertion!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,031 times
Default Revolution for Cats & Dogs

Don't waste any more $$ or time. Use REVOLUTION for cats/dogs available from most vets. Costs $20.00 & is worth every cent. Try it for one month. You'll see a huge difference. Retail flea/allergy products just aren't as effective. Flea allergies are horrible for our pets.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Hello all,

So...I spent 10 minutes reading packages in Walgreens trying to find a tablet to crush and hide in his food, which I was certain I could do. (I have NEVER been able to pill a cat; I think I had a "pill gun" one time but no more.) The only thing I could find was Walgreens version of Benadryl, with a "coated" tablet that is hot pink. Doc suggested 1/2 the dosage so I cut it in half.
Cats are allergic to pills. YOu should get a liquid and use a syringe to administer EXACT dosages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Children's Benadryl is liquid. Get it.
I have no experience with this, but again - BE CAREFUL OF DOSAGE and ask your vet first. A phone call is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrontucker View Post
Don't waste any more $$ or time. Use REVOLUTION for cats/dogs available from most vets. Costs $20.00 & is worth every cent. Try it for one month. You'll see a huge difference. Retail flea/allergy products just aren't as effective. Flea allergies are horrible for our pets.
We've been using Advantage which seems to work really well... but, you know me; I had to research it.

THANKS! I discovered this place sells Frontline Plus which is supposed to be even better because it also kills ticks and lice, and for 20% off the cost of Advantage from 800PetMeds. I've been getting robbed for years, and didn't realize it!

I don't know what you're paying for Revolution, so you tell us if this is a better deal:
http://www.discountpetmedication.biz...s-blue-6-pack/

Woot, just ordered a 12pk of Frontline Plus, and saved $25 to boot!

Cheers

Last edited by steven_h; 09-02-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Cats are allergic to pills. YOu should get a liquid and use a syringe to administer EXACT dosages.

I have no experience with this, but again - BE CAREFUL OF DOSAGE and ask your vet first. A phone call is free.
Definately ask the vet. I'm super sensitive to benedryl and take the pink liquid stuff since I can take a small dose. Its also very sweet. I'm not sure the cat will like that much. And weigh the cat first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats