Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

I'll make the same suggestion to you that I have posted before, buy yourself the Ultimate Scratching Post and you can get it on Amazon for about $ 45 delivered. It has absolutely saved our furniture because our cats love the extra height of it and stretch way out when scratching.

I am on my second one in 3 years and this one is pretty destroyed too, they go nuts on it and tear it up. But it is a lot cheaper than furniture. In the next week or so I am going to order number 3.

Every time I look at the pictures you posted of your new kitten I smile, it is adorable.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Its starting to scratch its posts a bit now but it prefers the cardboard box.

Its starting to accept us now Today its been letting us stroke it while it purred contentedly and just now it sat in my lap for quite a while loving the attention it got from me. And I think its a girl, although not 100% sure as I only got a quick look.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
It takes time for them to accept their new environment and parents. We have had our one cat, Daisy, for almost 9 months and she is finally getting warmer toward us. Some cats are lap cats and some are just more independent. One way to bond is food, especially treats. Haven't met too many cats who don't love it when you shake the treat bag.

Don

Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Its starting to scratch its posts a bit now but it prefers the cardboard box.

Its starting to accept us now Today its been letting us stroke it while it purred contentedly and just now it sat in my lap for quite a while loving the attention it got from me. And I think its a girl, although not 100% sure as I only got a quick look.
You, and the kitten, are doing just fine. Some cats take longer than others to get comfortable in a new home, but yours is warming up to you very quickly. Sounds like you're going to have a lap cat on your hands. Good luck, and thank you for adopting her/him.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm thinking it might be a lap cat too, its been coming over to me for more strokes and cuddles all day but toddler just arrived about an hour ago so now its scared again. She loves it though! I've never seen her so excited as when she came in the door and asked to see the cat!!
I've asked her to give it a name but every time I ask her what its name she just says "I know" (meaning I don't know) so looks like its either going to be called Cat or I-Know!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I've asked her to give it a name but every time I ask her what its name she just says "I know" (meaning I don't know) so looks like its either going to be called Cat or I-Know!
That's cute, but you have to name it yourself. It deserves a name other than Cat or I-Know. It's time to start calling it by a name now. They learn their names very quickly. If you wait too long, it might be harder for it to learn its name--especially if you're already calling it "kitty" or something. Most little kids can't name pets. We asked our son to name our lab and had to improvise because it wasn't appropriate. You can't improvise with I-Know because the name is too close to the negative word NO that you're going to be saying to it very often. Perhaps a spin on I-Know is to look at baby names for "knowledge" or "wisdom."

Old 02-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's cute, but you have to name it yourself. It deserves a name other than Cat or I-Know. It's time to start calling it by a name now. They learn their names very quickly. If you wait too long, it might be harder for it to learn its name--especially if you're already calling it "kitty" or something. Most little kids can't name pets. We asked our son to name our lab and had to improvise because it wasn't appropriate. You can't improvise with I-Know because the name is too close to the negative word NO that you're going to be saying to it very often. Perhaps a spin on I-Know is to look at baby names for "knowledge" or "wisdom."
Well I suppose "I-Know" could have worked if I was using Finnish when speaking to the cat but I doubt I will so you're right, thats not going to work but thanks for telling me, we've settled on a name now! While I was singing the bedtime song to my daughter (The Skye Boat Song) I got to the line that goes "Ere the sword cools in the sheat, Charlie will come again" and I suddenly thought that Charlie is a good name as it works for either a boy or a girl, and its a name my toddler can easily pronounce (earlier we thought of Snufkin, leading from your suggestions about a name connected to wisdom - Snufkin being the wise character from the Moomins - but thats a hard name for her to say) so I asked her if she wanted to call the cat Charlie and she said yes

Oh and I'm 90% sure now that its a girl, it just climbed up on my desk and I got a good look at its bum and I'm pretty sure its a girl after comparing it to pictures online.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Charlie is an adorable name!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Yep, that one will work. Welcome to your new home Charlie.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Charlie is asleep on my lap. I'm glad she feels comfortable enough with me to sleep there but its nearly half 4 in the morning and I want to go to bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats