Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:16 PM

65 posts, read 112,056 times

Advertisements

Unrelated but of interest to some? Nestle,makers of Fancy Feast, were sued this week in federal court on behalf of CA consumers who buy Fancy Feast. The allegation is that Nestle sources some of the fish used in the cat food from Thai suppliers who are catching the fish with slave labor. The suit maintains that, if the allegations are true, some consumers would not have bought the FF because of the slave labor. Personally I can't help but wonder if the allegations do turn out true and Nestle is buying slave labor caught fish how much do they care about the other ingredients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsue-z View Post
Unrelated but of interest to some? Nestle,makers of Fancy Feast, were sued this week in federal court on behalf of CA consumers who buy Fancy Feast. The allegation is that Nestle sources some of the fish used in the cat food from Thai suppliers who are catching the fish with slave labor. The suit maintains that, if the allegations are true, some consumers would not have bought the FF because of the slave labor. Personally I can't help but wonder if the allegations do turn out true and Nestle is buying slave labor caught fish how much do they care about the other ingredients?
Yeah, makes you wonder. I also question the motives of going to foreign sources for ingredients. Are there no U.S. sources available, or is it strictly a financial incentive? I usually guess the latter, which also means that quality control of their product is also a low priority.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
After several years of being owned by cats, I have noticed this behavior off and on. It was never due to the food, rather cats being cats, mysterious little creatures they are. My two recently started refusing one canned brand so we switched to another. They do this every few years. And neither one will eat a "chunky" type, it must be a pate.
I'm glad it's not just me. I just got back from the store where I exchanged 14 cans of the chunky for the pate, because my children were turning up their noses at the chunky! Previously it was only one flavor of chunky they refused to eat, now apparently it's all. LOL I'm sure the person at the store thought I was a crazy cat mom with spoiled babies. Ok, maybe there's some truth to that.

I'll be ready in a few months when I have to entirely switch brands.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I'm glad it's not just me. I just got back from the store where I exchanged 14 cans of the chunky for the pate, because my children were turning up their noses at the chunky! Previously it was only one flavor of chunky they refused to eat, now apparently it's all. LOL I'm sure the person at the store thought I was a crazy cat mom with spoiled babies. Ok, maybe there's some truth to that.

I'll be ready in a few months when I have to entirely switch brands.
FWIW my girls wont eat the chunk style Fancy feast either. They used to like it, but over the past year or so they've been rejecting it no matter what the flavor is. They will sometimes eat the Flaked variety, but not the Grilled version. It's ok with me as I understand the Pate is probably better for them anyway.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:39 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It's ok with me as I understand the Pate is probably better for them anyway.
That is interesting. I never heard that before. Maybe they're not just picky. LOL Maybe they're smarter than I am when it comes to cat food.

All is good now and they cleaned their plates.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x

It's ok with me as I understand the Pate is probably better for them anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
That is interesting. I never heard that before.
The pates don't have the wheat and glutens both of which are not digestible and are hard on the pancreas and digestive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsue-z

Originally Posted by catdad7x

Yeah, makes you wonder. I also question the motives of going to foreign sources for ingredients. Are there no U.S. sources available, or is it strictly a financial incentive? I usually guess the latter, which also means that quality control of their product is also a low priority.
Makes me wonder, too. 1) using slave labor is abhorrent. 2) if cheap labor is a priority, then are cheap ingredients also Nestlé's goal??

Here I've been thinking all along I'm feeding good food to my cats when I'm not?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I've been feeding Fancy Feast Classic to my cats since 2009 when I finally got hit on the head about cat nutrition. Healthy happy and plate-cleaning kitties until recently. All of them now turn their noses up at it and may nibble a little bit, but always leave most of it. I've tried different flavors, but same results. If it was just one of the cats, then I could perhaps figure out the issue. But since it's all three (the 4th is currently on dry - another story - working on the transition), then I have to think it has something to do with Fancy Feast.

I've tried Friskies pate. None are totally thrilled, but will eventually eat most of it. I'm trying Sheba pate now - maybe they'll like it.

I know they're not getting into the dry food, so they're not filling up on that. They seem to choose to go hungry (and bug me incessantly because they are) than to eat Fancy Feast. I'm scratching me head -- any ideas?

You need to stay away from the off the shelf brands, like Friskies.

We feed our cats Fancy Feast (grain free), however we trade off with Sheba. I read somewhere that Fancy Feast is referred to as Kitty Krack... not sure why, but it is a tad concerning. Anyway... we've found that the cats are happy with diversity (just like humans) and we mix it up. That might do the trick for you.

On a side note: I'll be watching for someone to post the results of the Nestle law suit. Slave labor not good... Apple, Nike, Gap, Disney, and Sears do it as well... but they don't create the food we give our pets. As far as I know, Mars, the makers of Sheba so not source like that. In fact they actually post their supply chain here: http://www.mars.com/global/about-mar...ply-chain.aspx

Old 09-03-2015, 10:40 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I don't know if the ingredients have changed any, since Snickers only eats the pate, and gobbles it up right away. But what I have noticed, is that it really smells now. I've been having a problem with drain flies, and if there's a can or lid in the trash, they're all over it. I started putting the lids and empty cans in a quart sized ziploc bag, they can smell it through the bag, and they're all over the bag. So now I keep the ziploc bag in the refrigerator, and when it's full, it goes outside.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
I agree that it does smell differently these days. An interesting observation is that if you use only a part of the can and then put a plastic lid on it, there are gasses in the food that will inflate the lid. I've been feeding Fancy Feast for years, but this is something I've noticed just in the past 8 months or so.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:16 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I only give him 1/2 at a time. but I don't put a plastic lid on it, I turn one of his bowls upside down on top of it.. The flies don't bother it that way, but they go after the ziploc bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats