Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,524,386 times

Advertisements

I know I am going to get some severe flack for daring to even post this, but most people feed their cats junk which is why they develop kidney disease, irritable bowel disease, diabetes, cancer and a host of other preventable ailments.

Dry food is the worst food for cats, covered with animal digest to get them addicted to it, depriving them of water, filled with carbohydrates.

Cats require no carbohydrates and in fact carbohydrates are bad for them.

Grain free canned food still has carbohydrates.

In the wild, a cat eats a whole mouse: head (brain and skull), fur, skin, bones, etc. They don't eat a dry mouse, they eat a wet mouse. They don't eat carbs at all: They eat bone, organs, fur and meat as well as blood.

They do the same with birds and rabbits, and possum and insects.

Learn how to feed all raw food to a cat. There are tons of sites that will instruct you how to do this. It is cheaper than high end canned and far healthier.

We have 11 inside and 3 outside cats. Our 9 year old was on steroids for IBD. We transitioned all cats to raw, 100% raw. That cat is no longer needing steroids, no longer has diarrhea, no longer throws up. His face was kind of scrunched up, for lack of a better way to say it: Now he has this wonderful relaxed face. All of the cats have developed muscles where we didn't know they needed or had them, especially noticeable in the back thighs. They have lost fat and gained muscle and they have much cleaner looking (the white is "whiter") fur and it is so much thicker and more glossy. One cat was losing fur around his shoulders and basically grew a new coat of fur. Their eyes are bright. They love the food. It's easy to do.

feline-nutrion.org, Karen Becker DVM, Lisa Pierson DVM, CatCentric.org and the Facebook site "Raw Feeding for IBD Cats" are good places to go for help.

If you feed all dry or even half dry, I pity your cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I know I am going to get some severe flack for daring to even post this, but most people feed their cats junk which is why they develop kidney disease, irritable bowel disease, diabetes, cancer and a host of other preventable ailments.

Dry food is the worst food for cats, covered with animal digest to get them addicted to it, depriving them of water, filled with carbohydrates.

Cats require no carbohydrates and in fact carbohydrates are bad for them.

Grain free canned food still has carbohydrates.

In the wild, a cat eats a whole mouse: head (brain and skull), fur, skin, bones, etc. They don't eat a dry mouse, they eat a wet mouse. They don't eat carbs at all: They eat bone, organs, fur and meat as well as blood.

They do the same with birds and rabbits, and possum and insects.

Learn how to feed all raw food to a cat. There are tons of sites that will instruct you how to do this. It is cheaper than high end canned and far healthier.

We have 11 inside and 3 outside cats. Our 9 year old was on steroids for IBD. We transitioned all cats to raw, 100% raw. That cat is no longer needing steroids, no longer has diarrhea, no longer throws up. His face was kind of scrunched up, for lack of a better way to say it: Now he has this wonderful relaxed face. All of the cats have developed muscles where we didn't know they needed or had them, especially noticeable in the back thighs. They have lost fat and gained muscle and they have much cleaner looking (the white is "whiter") fur and it is so much thicker and more glossy. One cat was losing fur around his shoulders and basically grew a new coat of fur. Their eyes are bright. They love the food. It's easy to do.

feline-nutrion.org, Karen Becker DVM, Lisa Pierson DVM, CatCentric.org and the Facebook site "Raw Feeding for IBD Cats" are good places to go for help.

If you feed all dry or even half dry, I pity your cat.
Save your pity, our girls are quite healthy, happy and disease free and they prefer to catch mice, play with them until they are dead, then leave them in the tub after they are dead. They don't like to eat them and not all cats like to eat mice.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
My cat desnt seem to mind dry food, in fact he wont eat anything out of a can and he wont eat the home made food i've tried on several occasions..

Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 AM

48 posts, read 55,762 times
Well Martha Anne, my veterinarian prescribed this VERY POPULAR required food, or my cats could die. Are you going to come tell just about every practicing Veterinarian what you posted here?
Here is the medicine my cats MUST be fed, or ELSE!! This is why so many cats have to eat this brand and style of medicine food, to keep them healthy!!

Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Feline Dry Food Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken by-Product Meal, Pork Fat, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Choline Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Dried Hydrolyzed Casein, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Phosphoric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:12 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,406,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire1955 View Post
Well Martha Anne, my veterinarian prescribed this VERY POPULAR required food, or my cats could die. Are you going to come tell just about every practicing Veterinarian what you posted here?
Here is the medicine my cats MUST be fed, or ELSE!! This is why so many cats have to eat this brand and style of medicine food, to keep them healthy!!

Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Feline Dry Food Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken by-Product Meal, Pork Fat, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Choline Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Dried Hydrolyzed Casein, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Phosphoric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene.
But don't forget that "just about every practicing Veterinarian" has a vested interest in prescribing that Hills Prescription Diet food. It's a big portion of their income, so naturally they are going to tell you your cat has to have it.
I also question how "very popular" that food would be on its own, without being pushed & prescribed by vets. Something tells me not so much.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:41 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,009,063 times
I think ZERO about prescription food.. except for AD.

When Lily's blood glucose levels rose, the junior vet at the practice prescribed this weight management canned formula.

Had a higher percentage of carbs than any human should consume on a daily basis.........and there was no way I was going to let a border-line diabetic cat consume all those carbs.

I opened the can at home. Put it on an aluminum plate in the middle of the kitchen floor.

One by one.. they came to investigate. No one took a lick. They smelled......and then scratched around the plate trying to "bury it".

So I put it out in the garden figuring some wandering animal would eat it. I think the possum did as I didn't see any wandering kitties around that evening.

Everybody has an opinion about what to feed. Opinions are like noses..everybody has one.

And every kitty is different. When Lily was little she could not tolerate canned food.....didn't matter what I gave her. It wasn't until she was about 2... she could eat a no thank you helping of canned food without a case of the runs. Gradually, her body matured and she's been on canned ever since.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:03 PM

11,281 posts, read 19,631,388 times
Quote:

Please, don't feed your cat that awful stuff, you will regret it in a few years time when her digestion is ruined from eating a diet of corn and chemicals. I speak from experience.

It's a very poor quality food, and very bad for your cat. If you feel your cat MUST have this Hills "food" feed the wet only. If you can get your cat to eat it. It is also very poor quality and very high in carbs, but at least it has moisture in it.

Feeding a cat with urinary tract problems a dry diet is about the most contradictory thing you can do for your cat. It makes absolutely no sense at all. A cat with urinary tract issues needs a high moisture diet high in MEAT and low in carbs. The Hills foods are not that.

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-07-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM

11,281 posts, read 19,631,388 times
Martha while I agree with you that I'd like to see all cats off of dry food, learning has to start somewhere.

People need time to get used to the idea of change. You needed time for that, yourself.

I am thrilled to know you stuck with the raw transition and the benefits your cats are reaping from it. I know it wasn't an easy task, and I congratulate you on accomplishing it. I often think of you and wondered how it was going.

And like you, I think that educating people is very important.

But still..... How would you have reacted if I told you I pitied your cats, before you learned to raw feed? (I never felt such an emotion I promise you)You would have been very hurt and angry I think. Instead I gave you a place to go to find the resources you needed.

Learning has to start somewhere.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Veterinarians have zero training in the science of feline nutrition. They get a rep from the pet food manufacturer coming to the vet school and the rep holds up a can of, whatever, S/O, etc. and says: This is what you give a cat who has had struvite crystals. This is what you give a cat with kidney disease. It's all about profit and not about cat nutrition.

How do I know? My vet told me! She admitted as such. She said that in vet school (she graduated less than 10 years ago) they give "zero", she held up her fingers into a big fat round zero, training in animal nutrition based on the science. They teach you what cans to sell LOL!

Go to Feline-nutrition. org. Everything there is based on the science, not what some pet food company told your vet. It's so horrible that now humans think that cats and dogs should not eat what they ate for millenia: raw! They didin't eat cooked cat and dog food, nor dry!

An internist at the world famous Animal Medical Center, a research and teaching hospital, never uses dry food and the research endocrinologist (also a vet) calls dry food "the McDonald's of cat food".
10 Reasons Why Dry Food Is Bad for Cats & Dogs | Little Big Cat

Old 12-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My cat desnt seem to mind dry food, in fact he wont eat anything out of a can and he wont eat the home made food i've tried on several occasions..
See this about dry: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%...es%2011-13.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats