Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've always fed both. A spoon of canned food several times a day (too much at a time can cause vomiting) and dry food out 24/7 next to the water bowl for times they are hungry and I'm not around to give them wet food. It seems to work.
Please read this link.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Incidentally cats don't need to be free fed, they aren't "nibblers" by nature. Nibblers were created with the advent of dry food. Cats are predators not ruminants. It's not even very good for them to eat that way.

Feed three wet meals a day. Get rid of the dry. You will be amazed at the difference in your cats.

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-12-2014 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I didn't say it was "hard for me", I said it was hard work. Yes I have a routine now, but it is still hard work. I've never been a big fan of spending time in the kitchen.

Keep in mind that you are a "we". I am one. I work 40 hours a week. I have other obligations on many weekends. I have health issues.

I don't have room for a big freezer,
We must be twins.

It is work, yes, I have a routine now, and have NEVER been a fan of the kitchen myself. I am also one, work 40 hours, weekend obligations, and health issues, too. No room for freezer.

So not only is it work to find, portion, package, and freeze, I have to remember to thaw!

Yeah, it's work. Once you get your routine down, it does become easier, but there's still time to invest in raw feeding. That never changes.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire1955 View Post
It's almost unanimous here. Who are you guys' vets? Dr. in the holistic link? I read it, she's in California and obviously not everyone here is closeby. Where do you take your pets in person?

Social authority figures? Is that what they're calling vets these days on Facebook?

Where are these Americans cause I don't know any who can diagnose and medicine their own pet or brave enough to try. I see Geico, Kay jewelers, allergy prescriptions, expensive car commercials while watching the news on local and cable. What's your point? Plenty of high preaching down to.

snip long preachy- Yeah I see at least half dozen lawyer commercials daily, what does that have to do with it cause I never saw one saying to call them about 20 years of toxic prescription food that every vet still prescribes with no fuss, have you? And Disney owns ABC (or vice-versa) so ABC is biased about bashing Carnival Cruises the way they did. No secret. Everyone's out to promote their interests when they can afford to. Tell me something I don't know, like how every vet I know hasn't been arrested for prescribing such toxic food for 20 years. And try getting an appointment when something comes up because they're always booked solid prescribing the toxic food with no fuss from anyone.

Guessed this title was about ol roy before I read it. Glad I did anyway. Thanks to the nice people for the holistic vet info cause it could help dog too and thanks to those not pitying my pets and flinging negligent poisoning akin to Doctors sugaring up Diabetics accusation because not everyone's a doctor and psychic and lives near new age vets.
My vet isn't holistic. He's just a country vet. He used to sell prescription diets. His wife and his daughters also work in the practice. They help a lot of farm creatures and even rehab wild animals sometimes. His office is a standalone independent practice, not a chain (like Banfield, the Petsmart chain.) One of the ladies who works there, is very very into cats. She found the same research that we have linked, and started making inquiries, and doing her own analysis and research on the contents and nutritional value of various brands, and the people in that office have come to believe what many of us believe here. That prescription food isn't medically necessary or good, and that dry food in particular is unhealthy for cats. They quit selling food out of their office years ago.

As for social authority figures, I wasn't just talking about vets. I'm talking about the repeated sentiment that if something were wrong, you'd hear about it on the news or there would be laws against it. There are many things out there that are very unhealthy but not illegal and not necessarily on the news. Most people I know and talk to are a bit more skeptical and want to do their own research. In fact I know more out and out conspiracy theorists than I do people who trust the news or the law or the government anymore. You surprised me. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not a doctor, or a psychic, and I've never met a new age vet. But if I'm sick, I search the internet and read up what I can and ask doctors about what I've read. I seek more information than what is handed to me, and I don't get mad if I read something I didn't really want to hear. I've seen instances of serious mis-diagnosis by human Dr's enough to know that I need to be involved in my medical care and health, and I feel the same about my cat.

Funny thing is, my cat has the healthiest diet in my household by far. It's easier to give him food that's good for him than it is to do so with my kids. So I see statements like "I feel sorry for your cats" or you getting all upset and I kinda shrug, because many people would say they feel sorry for my kids because I let them eat processed foods and drink the occasional soda. I'm not here really to preach at you...it's the same as I tell everyone I talk to. If you go to catinfo.org and read what is there and you don't believe it then I have nothing further I can say. I will never be as educated on the topic, eloquent, or persuasive as Dr. Pierson is. But I really, really do think that YOU have the RIGHT to do as much or as little research as YOU want to, and then MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND about what you think.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:58 PM

48 posts, read 55,492 times
There are plenty crappy docs out there yes indeed ( had one and ran for the hill) but our pets can't talk and drive elsewhere while we can tell off the doc and say what feels wrong and sue their butt if they're that bad and find another, plenty to choose from.

.I DID and am STILL reading there. Makes me wonder even more how something can be so toxic for 20 years and not ONE person or vet I ever knew has heard of it and I'm no spring chicken still living around a big metro with tons of vets around prescribing the same foods. Heads would roll by now, no joke because you can't even look at someone's dog crooked I'm not disagreeing with holistic, just wondering why nobody's heard of this after 20 years Almost everyone on here agrees and they're not all in California going to Doctor Pierson or have a country vet out in Colarodo so there MUST be something to it but that's a LONG TIME, 20 friggin years of it going on with nobody fussing, am I wrong?

Old 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
The food isn't..."toxic" in the sense you are thinking of...it's just pure crap. It's horrible food made from poor quality ingredients and it causes more problems, long term, than it can ever "fix". It's no better than the bag of crap you get off the grocery store shelves.

If you absolutely think you MUST follow a vet's "orders" in using a "therapeutic" food, feed the wet only. It's still crap, but at least it's wet. Less corn in it, a little more meat, and it least it contains that all important moisture.

Vets push it because they make money off it, or if they are staff vets, because the owner of the clinic makes them push it. Bottom line - money. Some have actually been so brainwashed by the marketing propaganda that they actually believe the stuff is good. Some know, but don't care, or pretend they don't care. They probably have ulcers and nightmares at night.

Some vets, a few, and hopefully more as time goes on, know, and won't have the stuff in their clinic, or if it's there, still try to educate pet owners about healthier options.

There are tons of products that are toxic to pets that continue to be sold. Look how long the jerky treats nightmare has been going on. years. And pets are still dying. Look at an on line pet store at all the "supplements". There are tons and tons of products, very few of them actually do anything, even if they are harmless, however most of them are not harmless, in the long term.

Those hair ball "pastes" or "gels" for example. They are made with petroleum. Think about it. Would anyone in their right mind ever eat petroleum? Of course not. Then why is it considered okay to put down our cats' throats? Now, that stuff IS toxic.

Have you found Susan Thixton's website yet?

Truth about Pet Food

I'm glad you are reading, learning. It's just as important to question what you are learning as it is to question the vet. But the more you read, the more you'll realize how important good nutrition is for our pets.

Diseases such as diabetes, hyperthyroid, urinary tract disease, all those came about, after the advent of kibble. And now that kibble (and many cnned foods but again, at least they are WET) has become the dumping ground for all the waste product manufacturing doesn't know what to do with.

People think their cats are "fine" on this junk, and when they start getting sick when the cat is 6 or 8 or 10 or 12, no one thinks to blame a life time of eating pure junk. The cat was always "fine" after all. I am positive that most of these cats, with their diabetes, IBD, panceatitis, chronic vomiting, chronic urinary tract disease, kidney failure, high blood pressure, and so on, would have continued to be "fine" and in fact much more than fine, if they'd been fed a species appropriate diet.

But instead, the vet puts them on more crappy food, just more expensive.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've always fed both. A spoon of canned food several times a day (too much at a time can cause vomiting) and dry food out 24/7 next to the water bowl for times they are hungry and I'm not around to give them wet food. It seems to work.
I feed my 2 girls a 5.5 ounce of canned twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening, tossing in raw gizzards, hearts, and thighs every few days. They have NEVER vomited wet or raw food....ever. My baby girl has never had dry. My old lady would vomit the dry food about once a week before I educated myself.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Yes to vomiting and thyroid, and itchie spots. That's scary cause I can't uproot jobs and everyone to move out there to holitics to treat these animals and tell me what's really wrong with the thyroid and all? Need to find out what and why is actually wrong first , somehow Not familiar with toxic hairball gels, thanks for warnings. People who don't care if they feed Ol Roy probably buy it quick fix instead of going to the vets but it's old news as far as anyone I know about the jerky you mentioned. Yeah can't trust any where selling their potions. I know this from people shopping, I agree, too much junk just like in the grocery. It's a junk world and it has to be even worse for "just" animals.. I learnt how bad the pig ears and raw hide was years ago and stopped all that stuff they sell everywhere, real good groomer set us right about a lot of things.
Asked family and a few coworkers who baby and I mean BABY theirs about what I been reading, it didn't go over to well, people got insulted. I DIDN'T tell them I read it was toxic or anything like this on here, just tried talking at break, ask if they ever heard about it being bad before since EVERYONE (three people I know just on break) no exception has to get the prescription for it too and people got all put out on me, was NOT good idea to talk personal home choices like this even with friends there, now I know better. Long short of it, told me there was never a recall and why don't I prove there was and I didn't know about that so will have to look into it. The holistic strategy makes sense, I agree more after reading more. Just unheard of is all I'm asking so I wonder how people so up on their pets like a baby with everything going 24-7 info with facebook and all, nobody knows. This ain't like a middle of nowhere, less confusion with this if it was. People spoil theirs and you can't even look at them crooked no joke. Will check out new link, thank you.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Please read this link.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Incidentally cats don't need to be free fed, they aren't "nibblers" by nature. Nibblers were created with the advent of dry food. Cats are predators not ruminants. It's not even very good for them to eat that way.

Feed three wet meals a day. Get rid of the dry. You will be amazed at the difference in your cats.
I... have absolutely no idea how you hold up doing this either, ms. catsmom. I have a one wild lady kitty -- rambunctious, as you know, & it is like having 40 kids in this place -- as she's in her box, out of it, messes it, eats, jumps on fireplace mantel, to the windowsill, to the bedroom, to the liv room, out to back porch & back into liv room, back to bedroom to her box again yet, & then eats again. Whew, I'm passing out just trying to keep up w/ her of which I'd need to hire a crew to help w/ doing.

My g/f think I'm nuts w/ her but it is exercise as I'm bending, serving, food, cleaning her box, brushing, petting fur & then... doing this all over again. When I type on here stuff like this, somehow I know I'll pay as I'm neglecting something if she's awake -- like food, her soiled again fresh box, petting her, brushing, playing w/ her string, toys, etc. or just running a marathon to keep up. After this post I'm ready to pass out -- let alone doing it all in real life, haha.

Oops, then there's the buying litter, then driving across town & picking her food up, selecting new foods for an hr to mix in, etc. etc. etc. Hehehee. Yes, I need a psychiatrist standing by at day's end.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 PM

I just did the search on the truth link for 'vet food' (don't feed Blue so didn't read it) and like everywhere else, she says, Is it Ethical for Veterinarians to Recommend Pet Foods? | Truth about Pet Food
Quote:
Almost every Veterinarian Clinic across the country offers dog and cat food for sale. Some only offer prescription foods specifically for pets needing a diet to address a disease; however, many others offer for sale maintenance dog and cat foods to their clients. Do veterinarians know enough about pet food to ethically recommend a particular brand of food to their clients?
I only see the prescription food at the vets. No other foods were ever recommended, at least to me.
Then someone else wrote

Quote:
You know? It’s a 2 edge sword isn’t it? From what TAPF Followers have learned over the years the usual non-prescription PFs being sold from a Vet Practice aren’t ideal.
But our vets don't sell non prescription food or send me to petmart for anything non-prescription like in Europe. Only seen the Hill's or Royal Canin Rx at the vets (depends on where I go).
It says:
Quote:
While US pet owners continue to seek pet food advice from veterinarians, Europe has taken legal steps to prevent veterinarians from misleading clients into pet food purchases. New European Consumer laws put into effect in June of 2008, veterinarians must not hard sell pet food, vaccinations, or drugs and must not make any health claims for anything they sell, unless they have veterinary research to back it up.?
The Susan makes the exception up top, about the prescription I'm talking about.

The other link was clearer

Last edited by Umpire1955; 12-12-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I... have absolutely no idea how you hold up doing this either, ms. catsmom. I have a one wild lady kitty -- rambunctious, as you know, & it is like having 40 kids in this place -- as she's in her box, out of it, messes it, eats, jumps on fireplace mantel, to the windowsill, to the bedroom, to the liv room, out to back porch & back into liv room, back to bedroom to her box again yet, & then eats again. Whew, I'm passing out just trying to keep up w/ her of which I'd need to hire a crew to help w/ doing.

My g/f think I'm nuts w/ her but it is exercise as I'm bending, serving, food, cleaning her box, brushing, petting fur & then... doing this all over again. When I type on here stuff like this, somehow I know I'll pay as I'm neglecting something if she's awake -- like food, her soiled again fresh box, petting her, brushing, playing w/ her string, toys, etc. or just running a marathon to keep up. After this post I'm ready to pass out -- let alone doing it all in real life, haha.

Oops, then there's the buying litter, then driving across town & picking her food up, selecting new foods for an hr to mix in, etc. etc. etc. Hehehee. Yes, I need a psychiatrist standing by at day's end.
Yes I want to move in with or anywhere near her, the people on here

I read the smelly litter is bad too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats