Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times

Advertisements

I can admit to looking forward to a day when I am animal free. I currently have four cats and a dog. The cats are 17, 2 are 16, and one is, like, 4, and the dog is about 8 or 9. All are rescues -- the oldest cats were kittens when I adopted them. I love them all dearly, but two of the cats are in kidney failure, one has a thyroid issue, the youngest cat and the dog both have food allergies, and the dog has arthritis. So everyone has different and special food needs, there are daily meds, bi-weekly fluids and lots of vet visits and bills. I do look forward to a day when there are not all of these issues and I have extra time and money, but I love them all dearly and would do nothing to make that day come faster. Instead I am trying to give the oldest, sickest ones the best quality of life possible for as long I can. I recently did lose an 18 year old cat to kidney failure, so I know how hard it is and how sad I will be as they all pass on.

But, I have been known to say to the youngest kitty -- "at some point it will be just you and me kid..." I do fantasize about being able to take a vacation without paying a pet sitter who can administer meds. Or being able to easily up and move if I wanted to. And some day that will be reality, but for now, I sit on a couch surrounded by a purring mass of bodies with a big dog keeping my feet warm. And that's a worthy tradeoff.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I kind of had a cat thrust upon me when her owner suddenly realized that I was boring and life was too short to be saddled with adult responsibility. Sometimes I do think about loss of total freedom. After all - I am alone, so why should I have to give up my life and make sacrifices for a cat? Well, it's because I agreed to it. I agreed to taking in a 10 lb buddy for the long haul. I agreed to spend time with her, play with her, and take naps with her. I'll make it work. I'll still travel, and I'll still chase women. But I'll have to make some compromises. And it's alright. She's worth it. I'm pretty sure she will not dump on me or get bored with me. The head bumps and cat massages make me forget all that.

Honor your commitments.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I agreed to spend time with her, play with her, and take naps with her. I'll make it work. I'll still travel, and I'll still chase women. But I'll have to make some compromises. And it's alright. She's worth it. I'm pretty sure she will not dump on me or get bored with me. The head bumps and cat massages make me forget all that.
Nice

Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM

65 posts, read 112,056 times
BarLatGo loved your clever response! I do hope that everyone realizes that senior animals, and most especially cats, have pretty much zero chance of ever finding a home if taken to a shelter. The no-kills can rarely re-home them either and are then saddled with having to pay for vet care for old cats when the responsibility should have been the original owner. There is pretty much no difference to my way of thinking between just opening the door and kicking the cats to the curb than in dumping them at a shelter when they become inconvenient. What makes anyone think that there are hordes of cat lovers anxiously wanting to adopt someone else's discarded senior cats who are probably on the verge of some sort of geriatric problems. Many thousands of adorable healthy kittens are destroyed every year because nobody wants them, senior pets have almost no chance, any legitimate rescue will tell you this. Not only that but cats are pretty much creatures of habit and its rough on the oldtimers to suddenly have to adjust to a whole new way of life with strangers, it can be done but not always easy.
If someone legitimately has to give up pets due to their own poor health, change in life circumstances that absolutely precludes keeping them etc. that's a different story. But just to decide you really don't want the cats anymore as a matter of convenience I think is selfish. You say you were very different person 14 years ago when you adopted the cats, I believe it. I feel sorry for your cats not being loved anymore.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Last week a family member had to give up two of her 11 year old senior cats. In the past I had taken care of them quite a bit when she was traveling. They had good dispositions and were very healthy. The stress of the shelter terrified one of them who started hissing. He was put down without really a chance to adjust. I can't imagine how scary it must have been to be completely taken away from everything he knew and then just discarded - without his owner there to see him off or comfort him in his final moments. Its heart breaking and seems terribly unfair, I don't get upset much but the news today has me bawling.

My point, please tough it out for a few more years.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 AM

202 posts, read 231,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I can admit to looking forward to a day when I am animal free. I currently have four cats and a dog. The cats are 17, 2 are 16, and one is, like, 4, and the dog is about 8 or 9. All are rescues -- the oldest cats were kittens when I adopted them. I love them all dearly, but two of the cats are in kidney failure, one has a thyroid issue, the youngest cat and the dog both have food allergies, and the dog has arthritis. So everyone has different and special food needs, there are daily meds, bi-weekly fluids and lots of vet visits and bills. I do look forward to a day when there are not all of these issues and I have extra time and money, but I love them all dearly and would do nothing to make that day come faster. Instead I am trying to give the oldest, sickest ones the best quality of life possible for as long I can. I recently did lose an 18 year old cat to kidney failure, so I know how hard it is and how sad I will be as they all pass on.

But, I have been known to say to the youngest kitty -- "at some point it will be just you and me kid..." I do fantasize about being able to take a vacation without paying a pet sitter who can administer meds. Or being able to easily up and move if I wanted to. And some day that will be reality, but for now, I sit on a couch surrounded by a purring mass of bodies with a big dog keeping my feet warm. And that's a worthy tradeoff.
Yours is a totally different attitude to the other poster. Granted, even caring for a handicapped child born of our own bodies can (and does) grind us down. You are willing to take care of the elderly cats and I salute you for your compassion.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Last week a family member had to give up two of her 11 year old senior cats. In the past I had taken care of them quite a bit when she was traveling. They had good dispositions and were very healthy. The stress of the shelter terrified one of them who started hissing. He was put down without really a chance to adjust. I can't imagine how scary it must have been to be completely taken away from everything he knew and then just discarded - without his owner there to see him off or comfort him in his final moments. Its heart breaking and seems terribly unfair, I don't get upset much but the news today has me bawling.

My point, please tough it out for a few more years.
Heartbreaking. They live their lives in one place w/ one person and then it's gone. My old ones were all sick at once and for years, but I managed. It was hard, but I wasn't the type to cut and run or give up.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I am glad I have great relationships with my cats and my dog!

I know I certainly prefer my relationships with them over relationships with certain posters on this thread!!
Boy, do I ever agree with you on that! Appalling folks that give me a chill but
I am relieved to read so many people love their cats as much as I love mine.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM

275 posts, read 396,667 times
I don't really have a..e.r... dawg in this fight but I'll share my own perspective. I understand both sides. I have seven cats. I never intended this. It just happened. My former girlfriend had a cat who had kittens. I was "drafted" into taking two of them: Yorick and Calliope. I never had cats before, but they were a true joy to me. For years it was the tigercats and me. Then I moved to NC. My girlfriend did not want the mama cat, Arata, any more, so I brought her and gave her to my brother. Unfortunately, he had a cat who bullied her mercilessly, so I brought her to live with me.

When I purchased a house a year and half ago, I found my house had been vacant, and was the "hangout" for the local ferals/strays. One of them brought her litter of five kittens to my porch. I ended up finding homes for four of them. I kept the mama cat, Moonshine, and a kitten, Mosby. A few months later, another mama cat brought a litter to me. I adopted them all out but the mama, Shadow, and a kitten no one would take, named Lucky. My county has a huge number of feral cats, there are only a couple of no-kill shelters which are usually full. 90 percent of cats give to local shelters are euthanized. I had exhausted all of my friends and friends of friends. So I simply could not take these cats to a shelter and near certain death. Not when I was able to care for them. Then a feral cat brought a litter to my yard. One was so sick she could not move, but I found her too late and she died. Another one was so sick he could only lie on my porch. I grabbed him and took him to the vet, who said he would have died if I had waited a day later. I named him Blitz.

Four days later, my beloved Yorick died at only 8 1/2 years. I was grief-stricken and still am. All of the "yard" cats adjusted very well. The mama cats love being indoors. Cleaning multiple litter boxes is a pain. The food and vet bills are considerable. I can't take trips without planning. My carpet is destroyed, and I have to have a closed hobby room. Items vanish or end up in pieces. Sometimes I yearn for a good nights sleep. But all the cats have their own personalities and are very affectionate. They clearly consider me to be "their" human. Arata is 9 1/y ears old, and Blitz is 9 months old. While I sort of look forward to a day when I have have only one or two cats, that day is far off. But then again, is it? My sweet Yorick died with no warning at only 8 1/2 years of age.

My cats are NOT replacements for people. I have a girlfriend with two sons. I am a military reenactor, and with the 150th Civil War cycle, it's a busy time! My cats are inconvenient, yes, but they give a lot of love and for me, it is worth it. I know that one day they will be gone, and I will miss them dearly. Until then I will care for them the best I can and give them a loving and safe home. I didn't ask for them, but when I took them it it was a commitment, and as long as I am able I will honor it. If the day comes when I cannot do this, I will find them homes with people who will do the same.

I have my girlfriend, my friends, my work, my hobbies, etc. All my cats have is me.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times
Wow! At first I thought you meant your "kids" you didn't want anymore.
Then after I read your post, at first I thought it is good they are not human. However, it is very heartbreaking to read how you feel.
After I foolishly got into drinking and left my husband, I also left behind three dogs which were not young. I didn't realize how much I would miss them (as well as my ex) until after I got sober. At the time I left I didn't think any of them "fit in" with my new wild and carefree life anymore. Then my ex informed me that they would wait by the door for me to return everyday. I broke not only my ex's heart, I broke the hearts of my dogs as well. I had been with them more than my husband and my daughter and they were so dependent on me. My ex told me there was one dog, Rosie, who would just whimper and cry for me after I left. No, they are not human beings, however, I learned that they are capable of feeling emotions and pain just like humans do.
My ex let me know when one by one, they each would get sick and die over the years. It was heartbreaking for him and my daughter, and it was heartbreaking for me. It was also one of the most selfish things I have ever done --not only leave my husband--I deserted my dogs. I have tried, but it is hard to forgive myself.
I cannot tell you what to do for your cats. Guess you will do what you feel is best for yourself from the sound of your post. I just feel so bad for your kitties because it sounds like although they thought they were being loved unconditionally and love you so very much, they wound up with someone selfish like myself that can desert them when it doesn't suit people like us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats