Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:52 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

A couple of other ideas...

Are you monitoring how much she eats at once? My cat went so crazy for raw that he would eat it too fast and then puke. I had to start serving his meals in a series of small portions, like a couple of tablespoons at a time,... once I did this, the puking stopped.

Also, my cat rarely meowed during the first 10+ years I had him .... once I started serving him raw, he went so nuts for it, he actually started meowing on a regular basis when I was in the kitchen. It really surprised me that a change of food would cause such a behavior change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:35 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Most of the 50% raw is from raw chicken breast, livers, hearts and gizzards. With an occasional RadCat and, until recently, the Bravo. On occasion I'll also give her raw fish or pork. It might not even be 50%, could be more like 40%.

The other 50-60% is the canned.
You need to start balancing the raw or feed only 15% of the raw. Your cat is not getting adequate nutrition this way.

I posted a link to some recipes.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I *wish* my current kitty would eat raw chicken! She will not go near anything that is actual real meat, either raw or cooked.

If you have a pressure cooker, you can pressure-cook chicken bones (90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure) until they are soft and crumbly. Then they are safe for cats to eat. And as a bonus, you end up with a few quarts of homemade chicken stock (yum!). I did this for years when I fed my previous cats raw chicken.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 AM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
A couple of other ideas...

Are you monitoring how much she eats at once? My cat went so crazy for raw that he would eat it too fast and then puke. I had to start serving his meals in a series of small portions, like a couple of tablespoons at a time,... once I did this, the puking stopped.
I kinda sorta did that. I'm not sure it was the volume, because the volumes weren't that big, certainly no more than I would give her for the canned stuff. I get the impression the RadCat and Bravo does not fill her up very much. I would give her what appeared to be a decent-sized serving which she would gobble up and she would immediately start bugging me for more. I learned if I gave her more of the same (even just a little bit), there was a really good chance she would puke it. So after a while if she wanted more, I would only give her more canned. I also CAN NOT give her raw meat either shortly before or after giving her the RadCat or Bravo.

Anyway I was not intending this thread to be about the specificities of my cat's diet, I was intending it to be about why my cat wasn't eating much again. I had this problem a few weeks ago, and then a few days later she was eating like the end of the world, and now it's back to really picking nibbling again. It's like bi-polar eating.

Last time I turned on my air purifiers and that seemed to make her better the next day, so I just turned them on again to see what happens.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
If you have a pressure cooker, you can pressure-cook chicken bones (90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure) until they are soft and crumbly. Then they are safe for cats to eat. And as a bonus, you end up with a few quarts of homemade chicken stock (yum!). I did this for years when I fed my previous cats raw chicken.
Hmm, interesting idea, I'll think about that!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:50 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
What is the benefit of raw over cooked chicken...?

Old 11-25-2017, 12:54 PM

Cooking meat cooks out taurine, which cats need in their food and are unable to synthesize themselves. Among other things.

Google Pottinger's cats.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is the benefit of raw over cooked chicken...?
The most basic answer is, raw meat and derivatives is what cats were designed by nature to eat. Therefore their bodies operate best on a (balanced) raw diet.

Above and beyond that, the less processed the food is the better, cooking can deplete some nutrients, which have to be added back in, cooking changes the nature of the meat, you lose, for instance the dental benefit a raw meat chunk offers...

That being said a balanced home cooked diet would be second choice to a raw diet.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I *wish* my current kitty would eat raw chicken! She will not go near anything that is actual real meat, either raw or cooked.

The food still needs to be balanced. You need to know how much meat and bone there is before it's cooked. You need to ensure that quantity of each is properly balanced before cooking. You need to ensure all liquids are included with the final product. It's not really a good idea, in the larger scheme of feline nutrition.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I kinda sorta did that. I'm not sure it was the volume, because the volumes weren't that big, certainly no more than I would give her for the canned stuff. I get the impression the RadCat and Bravo does not fill her up very much. I would give her what appeared to be a decent-sized serving which she would gobble up and she would immediately start bugging me for more. I learned if I gave her more of the same (even just a little bit), there was a really good chance she would puke it. So after a while if she wanted more, I would only give her more canned. I also CAN NOT give her raw meat either shortly before or after giving her the RadCat or Bravo.

Anyway I was not intending this thread to be about the specificities of my cat's diet, I was intending it to be about why my cat wasn't eating much again. I had this problem a few weeks ago, and then a few days later she was eating like the end of the world, and now it's back to really picking nibbling again. It's like bi-polar eating.

Last time I turned on my air purifiers and that seemed to make her better the next day, so I just turned them on again to see what happens.
Whatever your original intent, what has come out is your cat is not eating a balanced diet and it won't be long before the damage is permanent.

You need to stop feeding that way, now. Immediately.

Either feed less than 15% raw meat, or learn how to feed it properly balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats