Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:57 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The food still needs to be balanced. You need to know how much meat and bone there is before it's cooked. You need to ensure that quantity of each is properly balanced before cooking. You need to ensure all liquids are included with the final product. It's not really a good idea, in the larger scheme of feline nutrition.
I didn't say that was *all* I did. I just offered that as a way for the bones to be fed safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 02:36 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Whatever your original intent, what has come out is your cat is not eating a balanced diet and it won't be long before the damage is permanent.
It's really not all that unbalanced. She might be getting a little less calcium than ideal, but that's about it.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:25 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's really not all that unbalanced. She might be getting a little less calcium than ideal, but that's about it.
Yes, it really is that unbalanced. You cannot feed a cat a 50% diet deficient in calcium and expect the cat to remain healthy.

It's not only the calcium that this diet is deficient in, since you are making no effort to ensure the correct amount of organ vs muscle meat as well.

Calcium is an essential nutrient. And the phosphorous in the diet (from the meat) must be balanced appropriately with calcium. A diet deficient, or even unbalanced, in calcium puts your cat at a very great risk for many health conditions.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:30 PM

I'm not sure you read all my posts.
Quote:
Most of the 50% raw is from raw chicken breast, livers, hearts and gizzards. With an occasional RadCat and, until recently, the Bravo. On occasion I'll also give her raw fish or pork. It might not even be 50%, could be more like 40%.

The other 50-60% is the canned.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure you read all my posts.
I have read your posts. 15% or less is safe to feed unbalanced raw meat. Not 50%, not 40%. 15% or less.

Since I have posted a link to recipes, and you can certainly find our own sources, there is no reason for you to continue risking your cat's health this way.

It is not difficult to balance that 50% or 40%, and it is crucial that you do so.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I have read your posts. 15% or less is safe to feed unbalanced raw meat. Not 50%, not 40%. 15% or less.
Right, except that the raw portion isn't very unbalanced. Again, with somewhat of an exception for calcium.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Right, except that the raw portion isn't very unbalanced. Again, with somewhat of an exception for calcium.
That is not "somewhat". It is a huge omission.

Assuming the muscle meat (including heart and gizzard) and liver are in the correct proportions, (80/10) 40-50 percent of your cat's diet is calcium deficient. The other, missing, 10% in your raw formula is calcium. That is a very large, very dangerous deficiency.

This type of imbalanced "raw feeding" is one of the reasons many vets are against raw diets. The only justified reason, true, but it's a big one.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Actually, since part of the raw 40-50% consists of Rad Cat, it's less than 40-50%. Probably more like 30%.

One thing I learned from all this paleo-cat reading is that in the wild, cats often don't even eat all of their prey. That is, a cat frequently will catch a rabbit, and only eat some of the organs, presumably because they're tastier and easier to eat. Big cats do that a lot as well. So, even in the wild, cats don't always eat a perfectly, scientifically "balanced" diet, so I figure if it's off from the ideal scientific proportions somewhat it's probably not that big a deal.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Last time I turned on my air purifiers and that seemed to make her better the next day, so I just turned them on again to see what happens.
Incidentally, this seems to have done the trick, again. Turned them on for several hours today, and by dinner time she was bugging me for food like usual.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:22 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times
Quote:
Actually, since part of the raw 40-50% consists of Rad Cat, it's less than 40-50%. Probably more like 30%.

One thing I learned from all this paleo-cat reading is that in the wild, cats often don't even eat all of their prey. That is, a cat frequently will catch a rabbit, and only eat some of the organs, presumably because they're tastier and easier to eat. Big cats do that a lot as well. So, even in the wild, cats don't always eat a perfectly, scientifically "balanced" diet, so I figure if it's off from the ideal scientific proportions somewhat it's probably not that big a deal.
Yes, and I think most animals, including cats, have instinctual knowing combined with internal sensings that tell them what they need to eat. Sometimes they will eat grass, othertimes not. Sometimes they will eat the bones or the lungs or the kidneys, and othertimes not.

I know with my cats I would include the organs and bones, and most times they would be eaten but occasionally they wouldn't. I took that as them knowing what their body did or didn't need at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats