Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Actually, since part of the raw 40-50% consists of Rad Cat, it's less than 40-50%. Probably more like 30%.

One thing I learned from all this paleo-cat reading is that in the wild, cats often don't even eat all of their prey. That is, a cat frequently will catch a rabbit, and only eat some of the organs, presumably because they're tastier and easier to eat. Big cats do that a lot as well. So, even in the wild, cats don't always eat a perfectly, scientifically "balanced" diet, so I figure if it's off from the ideal scientific proportions somewhat it's probably not that big a deal.
A cat's diet needs to be balanced. 30% unbalanced is going to affect your cat's long term health. You don't seem to understand, you just keep changing your story.

"In the wild" a cat will eat what he needs to eat (if he can find it)

You are twisting "facts" to justify your own irresponsibility. I am only replying again to ensure that anyone else reading this thread understands that winging a cat's diet this way is a sure way to end up with a sick cat.

And as I have stated before, by the time symptoms of the deficiencies begin to show, it is usually too late to correct them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:45 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
No I have not changed my story one bit, you keep assuming I said something I did not, so I add more information.

And with all due respect, I know what I'm doing and am familiar with all the same theories you're talking about, but I see no reason to be so religious about it. Minor or even moderate deviations from a good formula are no big deal. At this point you can take your holier-than-thou preaching and stick it you-know-where.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I will reiterate, for the sake of cats everywhere:

to anyone reading this thread. Please understand that is is NOT OKAY to feed a cat a raw diet in the manner that JamesBond007 claims to be doing. The diet is clearly calcium deficient, and it's questionable whether the muscle meat and organ meat are balanced properly. Regardless of whether muscle/organ ratio is correct, this "diet" is not providing enough calcium which is an ESSENTIAL NUTRIENT.

When feeding raw muscle meat and liver, you absolutely must supply a source of calcium in the correct proportion.

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-27-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Considering I never actually specified the exact proportions of organ meat I include in the diet you have demonstrated once again that you are assuming I said something that I didn't. Please refrain from doing this in the future, it makes you look really bad.

It's amazing that somebody like me can feed a cat a diet healthier than 98% of cat owners, and somebody nevertheless has to come along and tell me I'm killing the cat. Unbelievable.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
I've been feeding my two house cats and all the neighbor hood feral cats sliced raw chicken thighs for the past two years.

Other than my house cats appearing to be slightly overweight, they all seem to be in great physical condition.

They all get about 1 thigh per day....

Cats are obligate carnivores! Raw seems quite appropriate to me.....

Old 01-30-2018, 05:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Considering I never actually specified the exact proportions of organ meat I include in the diet you have demonstrated once again that you are assuming I said something that I didn't. Please refrain from doing this in the future, it makes you look really bad.

It's amazing that somebody like me can feed a cat a diet healthier than 98% of cat owners, and somebody nevertheless has to come along and tell me I'm killing the cat. Unbelievable.
I do not want to get in the middle of this argument, because I know both of you to be good people who love your pets, but Catsmom is right. The diet DOES sound unbalanced, at least from what you have said. I would ask that you look at catinfo.org if you have not already done so. There is a lot of information there about how to feed raw. I have found it to be very helpful.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
I've been feeding my two house cats and all the neighbor hood feral cats sliced raw chicken thighs for the past two years.

Other than my house cats appearing to be slightly overweight, they all seem to be in great physical condition.

They all get about 1 thigh per day....

Cats are obligate carnivores! Raw seems quite appropriate to me.....
Raw is appropriate, but sliced thigh meat alone is not.

When you think of a raw diet, think of building a mouse. When a cat eats a mouse, it usually eats the whole thing: the muscle meat, the head and the organs, the little bones. There are no mouse fillets in nature.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:39 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Raw is appropriate, but sliced thigh meat alone is not.

When you think of a raw diet, think of building a mouse. When a cat eats a mouse, it usually eats the whole thing: the muscle meat, the head and the organs, the little bones. There are no mouse fillets in nature.
I usually include the thigh bone and chicken scraps (liver, heart, and gizzard) as well. They're all thriving!

I keep the drumsticks and white meat for myself!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
I usually include the thigh bone and chicken scraps (liver, heart, and gizzard) as well. They're all thriving!

I keep the drumsticks and white meat for myself!
Please see if you can find some other organs as well, and offer those, too. Heart and gizzard are muscle meats, for the purposes of feeding pets. Look for pancreas, spleen, brains, or testicles, for example. The ideal is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% percent secreting organs.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I do not want to get in the middle of this argument, because I know both of you to be good people who love your pets, but Catsmom is right. The diet DOES sound unbalanced, at least from what you have said. I would ask that you look at catinfo.org if you have not already done so. There is a lot of information there about how to feed raw. I have found it to be very helpful.
You're resurrecting a 2-month old argument that had died. I have read catinfo.org over many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats