Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 12:14 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times

Advertisements

gypsychic, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Corky. What a precious little old boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 03:16 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
UPDATE: Well, today on this beautiful first day of Spring here in Florida we laid our little boy to rest. He took a downturn over the weekend and it was the end of the road for him. Grateful he gave us so many years of love and pleasure, and while we are brokenhearted and will be for a long time, we are relieved that he is no longer suffering any pain or illness. We are all cried out right now, but I am sure we will be crying for a long while. He was very special.
It is a sad day when we lose a loved one. I guess we should be grateful we can feel and love like this. Some people can't. I'm so grateful for all the pets I've had or we've had, over the years and decades. Grey Kitty, I don't remember much about her because I was a tiny tot. Sputnik, a stray who came to us out of the winter weather in 1957. She had her first batch of kittens on my bed. I consider that a high compliment
At about 2:00 am I believe.

George, a great kitty and a great friend, poisoned by a nasty old man neighbor. Tanya and her sons Jackson and Boris, aka Blackstone. Oodle, who saw me through some very tough times. She helped me heal. What a love she was. Is.

Bizzie and Shelly, the first cats my wife and I adopted together. Then we introduced Samantha, lab retriever. They all got along great. Napped together. Waited together at the top of the stairs for us to get home from work. Six eyes looking down at us! So sweet.

Then most recently River and Molly. Now pushing 19, we've had them five years. Or is it six? And then Punkin aka Pretty Girl showed up in the yard, we brought her inside during very cold weather. And Inky, one of Pots' three kittens. Pots showed up in our back yard to nap every day starting in spring of 2017. She got our Outsiders Gang started. Her other kittens, TJ and PJ (aka Curly). Then more orfins showed up. White Dot. Taurus. Then Panther and BoP. Some are still on this earth, some have passed on to be with my wife. All are blessings.

So us humans, we can feel love and joy and pain and sadness. It's such a privilege to be able to love. My wife. Our cats. Cats long gone. Sammy long gone. We lay to rest the loves of our life. Someday someone will do likewise for us. I think of a book that a presenter at an addictions seminar I attended long ago spoke of, "Love You Forever." It's just a gift.

So sorry for your pain and for your loss, gypsychic. Slowly we heal from our losses. But each loss changes us, or each changed me anyway. And we drive on. Grateful for all those gifts.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:49 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful comments, they do make me feel a bit better. Still feeling very heavy and dull, thinking I am going to see him coming through my living room door demanding food or love.... the house is just so quiet and empty.... My husband and I are seniors now, and are not thinking we will take on any new pets. But we never say never. Just need some time to process right now.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:52 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Never say never. You can always foster. There are so many kitties out there who need love and attention and a gentle touch.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:48 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful comments, they do make me feel a bit better. Still feeling very heavy and dull, thinking I am going to see him coming through my living room door demanding food or love.... the house is just so quiet and empty.... My husband and I are seniors now, and are not thinking we will take on any new pets. But we never say never. Just need some time to process right now.
I saw Gypsy out of the corner of my eye for the longest time. I would look up and be disappointed. It's an awful grief and I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:23 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Our 14 year old gal Cassie is over at the vet hospital until tomorrow or Monday. Looks like she has a urinary tract infection and is dehydrated, so they are going to get some fluid into her and some medication. She has been with us for 12 years and this is the first time for something like this. But as they age, this is to pretty much be expected. Looking forward to seeing her back to her old self next week.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:24 AM

7,586 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Our 14 year old gal Cassie is over at the vet hospital until tomorrow or Monday. Looks like she has a urinary tract infection and is dehydrated, so they are going to get some fluid into her and some medication. She has been with us for 12 years and this is the first time for something like this. But as they age, this is to pretty much be expected. Looking forward to seeing her back to her old self next week.
Poor sweet girl.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I just wanted to update this thread and let people know that a few weeks ago, my oldest daughter (nearly 40) found a tiny, tiny two week old kitten who COULD BARELY EVEN WALK AND HER EYES WEREN'T EVEN COMPLETELY OPEN - trying to make it across a major highway in a torrential rain. THAT POOR BABY! She brought her to me, because she was visiting AND she and her family already have two cats, so I needed to take this baby in. Which I did, which included bottle feeding her CRM (cat replacement milk) every three hours for two weeks. Long story short, she is now seven weeks old and she weighs 2.5 lbs and just had her first vet appt (and shots) and is PERFECT. She is also 100 percent a black kitty, not a bit of any other color on her. I named her Beatrix and she is adorable!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
kitties getting older ...-beatrix-about-7-weeks-old-june  

Old 06-13-2022, 05:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
A different twist on "kitties getting older"! Thanks for that happy news! May Beatrix enjoy a long, joyous, healthful life with you.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
A different twist on "kitties getting older"! Thanks for that happy news! May Beatrix enjoy a long, joyous, healthful life with you.
Thank you so much!

I am nearly certain she was part of a feral cat litter - lots of my friends found kittens the day of that torrential storm - I think it sort of washed out a lot of litters of kittens so to speak. Anyway, some were too young to survive but others weren't and they are also doing well. In fact, one small litter of kittens was older than the one I found so that's good.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about feral kittens not being able to be domesticated easily or show affection but this darling little girl is doing everything right. She's eating from a bowl now, and she uses the litter box exclusively, and she's affectionate too. So who knows? I think everything is going to turn out great.

She had a few worms, not many, and no fleas thank goodness, and the vet dewormed her and said she should be 100 percent fine. I am so happy! I've been watching The Cat Doctor so I'm sort of paranoid about all the things that could go wrong with her but she seems to be in great health and had all her shots (for her age) today and will get more in three weeks and then I will get her rabies shot eventually (maybe in three weeks?) and then get her spayed and she will be good to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats