Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 11:30 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked & answered... the search features are not working well for me.

We just moved house and now live in an area with ticks (as well as fleas, of course). We have always used Advantage II for our 8lb spayed kitty-girl, but that only covers flea prevention. I'm nervous about trying "just anything" as I've read that some cats have had serious reactions to these things, and I don't want something ineffective that I'll have to wait a month to wear off before I can try something else.

What do you experienced feline guardians recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 11:37 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
There are yard treatments that are supposedly safe for critters.
Or invite a possom or two in. They eat ticks and other unsavory creatures.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
The vet proscribed revolution, it works, but I’m not sure how safe these chemicals are. I just ordered this natural flea spray in an effort to find a natural product that works. I want immediate results after getting bitten last night while trying to sleep. The revolution works barely a month, so you’re dosing the cats with chemicals on a regular basis and that can’t be good for their health.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Care-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Old 05-03-2022, 07:02 PM

Thanks, Taz. Can't rep you again yet!

Please post as to how the spray works. Although I can't imagine my cat letting me come near her with a spray!

Old 05-03-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Thanks, Taz. Can't rep you again yet!

Please post as to how the spray works. Although I can't imagine my cat letting me come near her with a spray!
Happy to, it should arrive soon. I know, cats are unpredictable, the nicest cat I have turns into a wildcat when he takes liquid medicine. Grabbing him by the scruff of his neck helps enough to get the medicine down. I also have no idea how these boys will react to a spray, but if they don’t behave, I’ll saturate a paper towel with the spray and rub it on their fur.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:44 PM

I asked my veterinarian niece for her opinion, and she recommended Revolution Plus. I have no reason to doubt her recommendation...she's brilliant, young enough to be up to date on latest data, yet experienced enough to not be "too new", but...just as a sanity check, I thought I'd ask: Anyone have experience with Revolution Plus for cats?

Old 05-06-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I asked my veterinarian niece for her opinion, and she recommended Revolution Plus. I have no reason to doubt her recommendation...she's brilliant, young enough to be up to date on latest data, yet experienced enough to not be "too new", but...just as a sanity check, I thought I'd ask: Anyone have experience with Revolution Plus for cats?
I’ve used Revolution from the vet. It doesn’t seem to bother them, but the effects like feeding low quality pet foods are cumulative. I’m a little leery of constantly dosing them with chemicals. Vets are well meaning, but aren’t trained in pet nutrition or holistic health.

I received the natural flea spray from Amazon and tried it out. The smell is pleasant, the spray is quiet, so that’s a plus from frightening the cats with noise. They all got sprayed, I had to hold Kai in place, he’s the best at taking liquid medicine, the worst at holding still to get sprayed.

Good news, no flea bites today, we’ll see how it goes. I was surprised at the large bottle, was expecting something smaller. This spray is generous enough to spray floors, bedding and cats frequently without worrying you’re going to run out. Here is the bottle next to a can of air freshener, it’s almost double the size. Excuse Chai, he has to stick his nose in everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Flea *and tick* prevention -- suggestions?-37d93b5a-1d46-4de6-a54a-84f06c7134c5.jpeg  

Old 05-08-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’m a little leery of constantly dosing them with chemicals.
Same here! I might get some of that spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Excuse Chai, he has to stick his nose in everything.
No apologies needed. Handsome cat!

Old 05-08-2022, 12:52 PM

Question about that spray...

I was just on Amazon reading about that product and some of the reviews. I'm seeing this warning on the image of the back of the can:

"Do not use on cats or in households with cats. Some cats may be sensitive to certain ingredients in this product."

Maybe there is more than one "version" of this product? IDK because there is no choice on the Amazon listing I'm seeing.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Question about that spray...

I was just on Amazon reading about that product and some of the reviews. I'm seeing this warning on the image of the back of the can:

"Do not use on cats or in households with cats. Some cats may be sensitive to certain ingredients in this product."

Maybe there is more than one "version" of this product? IDK because there is no choice on the Amazon listing I'm seeing.
Here is the link to the one I ordered. I looked, it doesn’t say anything about not using in households with cats. It says twelve weeks and up, so I’m not sure which one you saw.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Care-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats