Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 12:39 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

We bought our house 3 years ago in January. My cat, Vinny (the sprayer from another thread--V1) is now an indoor/outdoor cat. I never leave the house when he's outside. He's never outside at night. The neighbor diagonal from me has a cat named Vinny (V2) as well. Both are orange. Her's is long haired, mine is short. They used to get along in the beginning. Vinny2 would come into my yard (numerous times a day) and they would sit together and hang out. Sometimes he would just come over and look into my sliding glass doors because no one is home. Then something changed and her cat viciously attacked my cat in OUR yard. I'm not going to lie; I beat the crap out of her cat to get it off my cat with my shoe. It wouldn't stop. I literally chased them all over the yard as my Vinny as trying to get away from her cat and it wouldn't stop attacking him. I spoke to the neighbor about this as we were friends and she told me: her cat was there first and what do I want her to do and then finally told me FU when I asked her to help me figure this out. We stopped talking after that.

Every time her cat would come into our yard, I'd put it over the fence and tell him no. It finally got to the point where I had to spend $1500 on the purrfect fence to stop her cat from coming into our yard because it wouldn't stop. It covered 3/4s of my fence as the other neighbor has a big dog and her cat won't go along the fence line due to that.

We have reconnected and have begun speaking again months ago. Well, today her cat came into my yard while mine was on my deck and viciously attacked mine again. I kicked the cat off it and screamed for my bf to get outside and to throw her cat over the fence. I then spent another $1000 to finish the rest of the fence along the neighbor with the dog to just finish the whole property to try and stop this whole situation.

I'm now going to be 3k into this trying to keep her cat out of my yard. I think it's jumping on the fence line and then walking on the arm and jumping onto my deck to get into my yard in the corner and/OR just walking along fence line, getting on arm and jumping into my yard. I am going to speak with her about it again today. There's no way she didn't hear the fight and I text her immediately to check her cat as both were full of blood. I also have it on camera.

Do you have any further suggestions on what else I can do to keep this cat out of my yard? My cat is all scratched up and it shouldn't be getting attacked in its OWN yard!!I have a feeling this conversation is not going to end well again and I'm trying to avoid that but it is what it is at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 01:06 PM

493 posts, read 324,950 times
An a-hole cat taking after its a-hole owner. What a combo! I can't believe I'm recommending this, but maybe you need to get a bb gun to "discourage" that cat from coming into your yard. You've already kicked it and it still came back.

You might contact your local animal shelter to see if they have a recommendation.

I don't know how it would affect your cat, but some cats are repelled by scents like citrus, coffee grounds, and plants like lavender/rue/rosemary.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:10 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Water gun with vinegar mix. Pepper spray from a distance, no direct hit but he'll smell it. Jiu Jitsu lessons for your cat.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:41 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Firstly, please do not do anything that might harm or maim her cat. We have no idea how this cat is treated at home. But, IMHE, pets act aggressively when something is wrong: this cat may have an undiagnosed medical condition or you neighbor might actually be mistreating it. Happy and healthy cats don’t act aggressively, especially all of a sudden.

Similarly, when was the last time your cat got a check-up? Sometimes cats attack other cats that are I’ll because they perceive them as weak.

Secondly, do you know if her cat is up-to-date on all vaccinations? That would be my biggest concern in a fight.

Once you have determined that the other cat has not transmitted any communicable diseases to your cat, then I would call Animal Control to see if they can do anything.

My recommendation would be to trap her cat with a Have-A-Heart trap so that it will (hopefully) get trapped on your property before it attacks your cat but check with AC about trapping because in some places it is illegal.

There are quite a few threads on this forum about keeping unwanted cats out of your yard. Here are some refs from The Humane Society but they might be a problem for your cat if he roams:

https://www.humanesociety.org/news/d...ee-roaming-cat

That said, are you sure that your cat isn’t wandering into this neighbor cat’s territory? I only ask because that may also be triggering these fights.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Firstly, please do not do anything that might harm or maim her cat. We have no idea how this cat is treated at home. But, IMHE, pets act aggressively when something is wrong: this cat may have an undiagnosed medical condition or you neighbor might actually be mistreating it. Happy and healthy cats don’t act aggressively, especially all of a sudden.

Similarly, when was the last time your cat got a check-up? Sometimes cats attack other cats that are I’ll because they perceive them as weak.

Secondly, do you know if her cat is up-to-date on all vaccinations? That would be my biggest concern in a fight.

Once you have determined that the other cat has not transmitted any communicable diseases to your cat, then I would call Animal Control to see if they can do anything.

My recommendation would be to trap her cat with a Have-A-Heart trap so that it will (hopefully) get trapped on your property before it attacks your cat but check with AC about trapping because in some places it is illegal.

There are quite a few threads on this forum about keeping unwanted cats out of your yard. Here are some refs from The Humane Society but they might be a problem for your cat if he roams:

https://www.humanesociety.org/news/d...ee-roaming-cat

That said, are you sure that your cat isn’t wandering into this neighbor cat’s territory? I only ask because that may also be triggering these fights.

Her cat is fully up to date and so is mine. Her cat is coming into my yard. My cat cannot get out of the yard due to the cat fence I've installed

Old 12-08-2022, 12:57 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
First, I would keep your cat INDOORS 100% until this is resolved. Your cat does not need the terror of being attacked or stalked like that. Yes, I realize it's your yard and the other cat is intruding, but think of the stress on your cat each time this happens. It's safer to keep him inside for now.

Second, I would call my local (non emergency) police and ask what you can do about (essentially) trespassing. They may refer you to animal control, then call them and ask. You may be able to call each time this happens, just so it's logged. She may have to pay a fine each time if if keeps happening.

Third, even if it's being aggressive, I would never kick or hurt a cat. I'd use water/hose/water spray gun to scare it away. This makes me wonder if the cat is not spayed. Infact female cats can be very territorial. I would ask my neighbor about this.

I also agree about trapping the cat (using a safe live trap) if she comes onto your property. If brought to the shelter, again, your neighbor will have to pay a fine to get her cat back.

This is a horrible situation and I'm sorry it's happening. :-(

Old 12-10-2022, 08:49 AM

They're both boys and they are both fixed.

And I ran out there in the middle of the fight and just wanted to get my cat out of the situation. What I didn't like is once I had my cat safely in my arms, it almost seemed like her cat was going to jump ON ME to attack my cat. If that happened, I'm going to be honest, that would be the end for her cat.

The fence will be here Wednesday and we are going to cut the rest of the branches of the tree that crosses into a different neighbors yard. I'm giving up the little privacy I have from those neighbors to stop all possible other entrances into my yard.

There literally is nothing else I can do once I finish the fence and cut the tree.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:05 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Do you have any further suggestions on what else I can do to keep this cat out of my yard? My cat is all scratched up and it shouldn't be getting attacked in its OWN yard!!I have a feeling this conversation is not going to end well again and I'm trying to avoid that but it is what it is at this point.
Record her cat attacking yours. Show it to her. Say that you will call authorities to check it for rabies and if that wouldn't help you will get a lawyer.

Is your neighborhood under HOA rules?

Purrfect fences aren't 100% cat proof.
Regardless of the implementation, it ALL works SOMETIMES. The level of success you will have is directly related to the capabilities and motivations of the cats being contained.

You probably could save lots of money doing this: (the coyote rollers sound promising - here is DIY:
https://petkeen.com/diy-cat-fence-plans/)

https://www.purrfectfence.com/blogs/...tiveness-ideas

You spent a lot of money on that project. But there are other options and it's time that your neighbor should implement some of them too...
https://fencesupplyonline.com/blog/t...your-backyard/

More to consider:
https://favoritefence.com/can-a-cat-...a-vinyl-fence/

Last edited by elnina; 12-10-2022 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-10-2022, 10:14 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Record her cat attacking yours. Show it to her. Say that you will call authorities to check it for rabies and if that wouldn't help you will get a lawyer.

Regardless of the implementation, it ALL works SOMETIMES. The level of success you will have is directly related to the capabilities and motivations of the cats being contained.

You probably could save lots of money doing this: (the coyote rollers sound promising - here is DIY:

You spent a lot of money on that project. But there are other options and it's time that your neighbor should implement some of them too...

More to consider:
I'll take Option A for $500 or an attorney retainer fee, Alex.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

More to consider:
That's the fence I have already and am installing the rest of it next week. She is highly aware of her cat attacking mine. We are hanging out next week and I will speak with her in person about everything. Text can be taken out of context. There is no HOA here.

I'm trying my best to not start an all out war here as it got very ugly last time I approached her about this. But I will defend my cat on my property anyway I need to also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats