Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 02:41 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Many congrats on your new kitty -- he sounds like a sweetie!

I've never understood the idiocy of not adopting black cats. I adopted 2 black kittens back in 2006 after my heart kitty Satay died at 14-1/2 (adopted an elderly cat at the same time). I kept the black kitties' Humane Society names, Hansel and Gretel.

As some here know, Hansel was the love of my life kitty, just wanted nothing more than to hang out with me. He died in October 2021 at not quite 16 years old (he developed diabetes, I did everything I could to treat him, but he didn't respond to insulin -- it's been almost 2 years and I still am not over losing him, I don't know if I ever will be ). Lost Gretel last December (same month i lost Annie -- this is what happens when you adopt a bunch of young cats a few years apart) -- she was a sweetie too.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer in a wonderful thread about your wonderful new kitty ... just the black cat thing, you know? It's so nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 03:44 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Back in 2010 when we were looking for another cat, we went to the local shelter and asked which cat had been there the longest. The volunteer immediately said Cassie and took us to a black cat who was three years old and had been in two different shelters for over a year as no one wanted her. Her previous owners said they were moving and couldn't take her but they also said she was a timid afraid cat that hid all the time, so I think they may have just wanted to get rid of her.

It took her a year and a half of living in a bedroom before she would come out into the rest of the house and be with our other cat. Fast forward and she is now part of a three female cat household and everyone gets along fine, even if the two younger cats do defer to her as the boss. She is a happy, healthy, affectionate cat who right now is laying on the floor by me while I type this. I sure am glad we gave this black cat a chance.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:48 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We have 2 cats- indoor cat T is a year old domestic longhair and DK is an outdoor cat who adopted us about 5 years ago after he was left behind by previous owners. T is not allowed outside and DK almost never comes inside (though he's proven himself to have the skills and litter box abilities to live indoors). Kids had been lobbying for an additional indoor cat as a playmate for T because DK has no interest in being friends or living indoors.

So, about a month ago, a small, a thin black cat started hanging around, slithering over to eat leftovers from DK's bowl etc. For his part, DK, who used to chase off other cats and get in howling contests with them, has allowed this new cat to spend time here and even eat of of this bowl at the same time. Hmm. Over the past week or so, this new cat has decided to put on a full court charm offensive with everyone in the household, including our 10 yo Australian Shepherd, so of course, the kids want to keep him and say "it's meant to be."

On Thursday, I threw the cat in an extra kennel and took him to the vet because T had his scheduled annual exam. New cat is an neutered male approx 9 months old. Vet confirms my teen's concerns that a young adult black male cat has very little chance of being adopted (thanks for that, Dr. Vet). New cat was purring while being examined while T was hissing and growling (did I mention the charming part?). New cat gets rabies shot. Call local shelter and they are over capacity and not doing intake. They say they can send an animal control officer over. They also confirm that things don't end well for short haired black cats. I don't want the cat, but I can't bear to send him to a bad outcome...

Next thing I know, I've made an appt for new cat to get neutered and get the rest of his shots next week. Let him indoors last night and he and T were following each other around. By this morning, they were chasing each other all over the house playing. New cat is displaying a very passive, get along with everyone type of personality. He's no dummy.

So, do you all think we have a new cat or what?
Yeah, some cats can really do that charm when they want to. Two years ago I went to the local shelter intending to adopt a beautiful young male blue and white cat. When I went into the cat area to see him, all the cats were in cages except for one. An orange and white girl was walking around and she immediately came over to me and you would have thought I was her long lost best friend. I couldn't resist her act so instead of a blue boy I came home with an orange girl. Two years later, while she likes my wife just fine, she still treats me like her best friend in the world.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
This cat has found his forever home. God bless and keep you all (;

Old 07-23-2023, 10:15 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
That's amazing! Congratulations. I love when pets choose their families.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:02 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You sure do have a new cat - smart boy he is

Call him Bagheera (The Jungle Book)
I also have a "found" black cat that showed up starving. She looks like a panther and I wanted to call her Bagheera but couldn't see me outside calling her so she is Miss Binx.

Last June I hear what I thought was Binx meowing at the bad door. Open it to find a skinny gray cat there. He's Grayson and he's very sweet. So now I have two cats, neither of them I went to adopt but I care about them just the same.

The biggest issue is getting them to Colorado when I move there from Florida. I also have two dogs, one very tiny and the other one 50 pounds.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:38 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Sometimes things happen for a reason. This guy clearly wants to be part of a family. Congrats!

Old 07-24-2023, 09:56 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Congrats on the new family member! He sounds like a purrfect fit.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:59 AM

840 posts, read 772,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We have 2 cats- indoor cat T is a year old domestic longhair and DK is an outdoor cat who adopted us about 5 years ago after he was left behind by previous owners. T is not allowed outside and DK almost never comes inside . . .

So, about a month ago, a small, a thin black cat started hanging around, slithering over to eat leftovers from DK's bowl etc. . . . Over the past week or so, this new cat has decided to put on a full court charm offensive with everyone in the household . . . so of course, the kids want to keep him . . .

On Thursday, I threw the cat in an extra kennel and took him to the vet . . . New cat is an neutered male approx 9 months old. Vet confirms my teen's concerns that a young adult black male cat has very little chance of being adopted . . . New cat gets rabies shot. Call local shelter and they are over capacity and not doing intake. . . . They confirm that things don't end well for short haired black cats. . . .

Next thing I know, I've made an appt for new cat to getneutered . . . next week. Let him indoors last night and he and T were following each other around. By this morning, they were chasing each other all over the house playing. New cat is displaying a very passive, get along with everyone type of personality. He's no dummy.

So, do you all think we have a new cat or what?

I can't figure out how you made an appointment to get him neutered when you say the vet says he's already neutered. . . . Which also makes me wonder who got him neutered, & whether they are looking for him. . . . You said nothing about him being checked for a chip. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats