Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 08:26 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times

Advertisements

We have 2 cats- indoor cat T is a year old domestic longhair and DK is an outdoor cat who adopted us about 5 years ago after he was left behind by previous owners. T is not allowed outside and DK almost never comes inside (though he's proven himself to have the skills and litter box abilities to live indoors). Kids had been lobbying for an additional indoor cat as a playmate for T because DK has no interest in being friends or living indoors.

So, about a month ago, a small, a thin black cat started hanging around, slithering over to eat leftovers from DK's bowl etc. For his part, DK, who used to chase off other cats and get in howling contests with them, has allowed this new cat to spend time here and even eat of of this bowl at the same time. Hmm. Over the past week or so, this new cat has decided to put on a full court charm offensive with everyone in the household, including our 10 yo Australian Shepherd, so of course, the kids want to keep him and say "it's meant to be."

On Thursday, I threw the cat in an extra kennel and took him to the vet because T had his scheduled annual exam. New cat is an neutered male approx 9 months old. Vet confirms my teen's concerns that a young adult black male cat has very little chance of being adopted (thanks for that, Dr. Vet). New cat was purring while being examined while T was hissing and growling (did I mention the charming part?). New cat gets rabies shot. Call local shelter and they are over capacity and not doing intake. They say they can send an animal control officer over. They also confirm that things don't end well for short haired black cats. I don't want the cat, but I can't bear to send him to a bad outcome...

Next thing I know, I've made an appt for new cat to get neutered and get the rest of his shots next week. Let him indoors last night and he and T were following each other around. By this morning, they were chasing each other all over the house playing. New cat is displaying a very passive, get along with everyone type of personality. He's no dummy.

So, do you all think we have a new cat or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 08:50 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Congratulations - you have a new master in the house:>)
Thank you for opening your heart and wallet and letting a new furry join your pride. What is his name?

Old 07-22-2023, 09:34 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Yay! I have heard before that black dsh cats are the last to be adopted. Since I was five years old, I have had several. If I were looking for another cat - That would be my cat of choice. Maybe I am a secret witch! Bahahaha!

Old 07-22-2023, 09:38 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Congratulations - you have a new master in the house:>)
Thank you for opening your heart and wallet and letting a new furry join your pride. What is his name?
His name is Junior, because the other outdoor cat is also black (but a long haired). New cat was previously called "Imposter Kitty" (again, in relation to our outdoor cat), but my kids decided that was too much of a mouthful to say.

And oops, in my OP, I described him as neutered, but he's un-neutered/intact. He's getting that taken care of first thing Monday. And since my OP, he used the cat box we had in the pool house, more than once it appears. Another point in his favor.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:33 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I posted the following just today in another thread about favorite names of fictional characters. Hope you can use the name.

"Azriel, the name of the wizard's cat in the Smurf cartoons. Az-ree-al. I said if I ever got another cat that the name would "fit" I'd name it that. Being in the country, we had strays show up. I'd feed and if they stuck around I'd get them their shots and spayed or neutered. So a pure black cat found her way to my house. Black nose, black lip, when her eyes were closed you couldn't make out she had a face, lol. Named her Azriel and it was a perfect match, IMO.

Gender neutral name. Bless you for taking in this little creature. Looks like it is a win-win for all of you!

Old 07-23-2023, 12:27 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Congratulations on your new cat.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:58 AM

3,139 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We have 2 cats- indoor cat T is a year old domestic longhair and DK is an outdoor cat who adopted us about 5 years ago after he was left behind by previous owners. T is not allowed outside and DK almost never comes inside (though he's proven himself to have the skills and litter box abilities to live indoors). Kids had been lobbying for an additional indoor cat as a playmate for T because DK has no interest in being friends or living indoors.

So, about a month ago, a small, a thin black cat started hanging around, slithering over to eat leftovers from DK's bowl etc. For his part, DK, who used to chase off other cats and get in howling contests with them, has allowed this new cat to spend time here and even eat of of this bowl at the same time. Hmm. Over the past week or so, this new cat has decided to put on a full court charm offensive with everyone in the household, including our 10 yo Australian Shepherd, so of course, the kids want to keep him and say "it's meant to be."

On Thursday, I threw the cat in an extra kennel and took him to the vet because T had his scheduled annual exam. New cat is an neutered male approx 9 months old. Vet confirms my teen's concerns that a young adult black male cat has very little chance of being adopted (thanks for that, Dr. Vet). New cat was purring while being examined while T was hissing and growling (did I mention the charming part?). New cat gets rabies shot. Call local shelter and they are over capacity and not doing intake. They say they can send an animal control officer over. They also confirm that things don't end well for short haired black cats. I don't want the cat, but I can't bear to send him to a bad outcome...

Next thing I know, I've made an appt for new cat to get neutered and get the rest of his shots next week. Let him indoors last night and he and T were following each other around. By this morning, they were chasing each other all over the house playing. New cat is displaying a very passive, get along with everyone type of personality. He's no dummy.

When your mind says no and your heart says yes, you have a new cat!

Old 07-23-2023, 06:34 AM

6,568 posts, read 4,962,654 times
You sure do have a new cat - smart boy he is

Call him Bagheera (The Jungle Book)

Old 07-23-2023, 08:20 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

Aw....the heart wants what the heart wants. Your other cats, your kids and your 10 year old dog have embraced this brave little guy. (your dog sounds like a sweetheart btw) Listen to your kids, it was meant to be. Your little cat had me at: he politely slithered over to the leftover cat food bowl and your other cat let him! Thanks for letting this plucky little character adopt you!

Old 07-23-2023, 01:44 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Whether or not you wanted another cat is irrelevant. This cat wanted you, and that's all that matters.

It's a real shame how black cats are so unfavored, in general. I've had five cats in my life, and every one of them has been black. It's not even that I tried to do that; that's just the way it worked out. But I wouldn't have traded any of them for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats