Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 02:16 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Bizzie terrorized Shelly for quite a while, one day Shelly put a paw up to Bizzie's face and that was the end of the harassment. They became good buds, we'd hear them upstairs in the middle of the night playing chase. For hours it seemed.

They were the sweetest most loving cats. They just needed a chance, some patience, some love.
One of the funniest things I ever saw was when our Annie (a kitten) was sitting opposite Denver (an adult cat), who was also sitting. Annie wanted to mix things up, so she started throwing punches at Denver's head. Naturally, Denver didn't like that, but he didn't get upset; he didn't fight back. He merely extended his much longer arm, put it on Annie's forehead, and Annie wailed away with her shorter kitten-sized arms that could no longer reach Denver, until she was tired. Denver had patience and a wisdom to him that we could only guess at. But Annie and Denver became great friends in time.

Anybody can go to a shelter or similar and pick out a cat. What makes the relationship really special is when the cat chooses you. OP, it sounds like you've been chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 09:24 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Yay! I have heard before that black dsh cats are the last to be adopted. Since I was five years old, I have had several. If I were looking for another cat - That would be my cat of choice. Maybe I am a secret witch! Bahahaha!
I think it's the "black Halloween cat" syndrome...along with the old "you are doomed if a black cat crosses your path" thing.

I've had black cats a few times,vand right now we have 2!

He is spouse's cat (he was a rescue one of the nurses at a Drs appointment who works for gave us. He had taken a 25mile ride up there n the wheel well of a pick up truck! So the truck guy called animal control. Best figure is truck lives put in country and he got dropped off, took refuge in the trucks warm engine compartment! At least he survived!)
He's a tuxedo cat
Spouse and I discussed getting replacements for the 18 yo and my 20 yo little buddy. We only keep indoor cats.

So I brought him home, but he gravitated yo spouse and claimed spouse as "his". Spouse wanted a tuxedo, but a female, but said go get him anyway.

When FIL went into nursing home, spouse stayed across the river at FIL house so it was occupied.
After a week, he wasn't eating, refused to come near me, if he ate he vomited. He missed spouse and I was NOT a good replacement!

So during the two years we lived apart, I, for better or worse, got a new all black female kitten 8 weeks old and no bigger than my palm. She's rambunctious, adventuresome, climbs everything, Knicks things off, thinks EVERYTHING is her play toy.
She has 20 mousies to play with, but everything is her toy.
She purred the third day after I brought her home, and she let me know she was happy.

She gets into my dresser drawers and pulls out all my socks and underwear! She gets her claw in the drawer, opens, hang/climbs into it, empties it, rinse and repeat up my small dresser. She's not happy til she's reached the top, and has emptied the contents.
(Lol like a fool, I pick them up and redrawer them. I don't know why..j know what will happen!

But she curls up and snuggles so nice with her daddy, it's all worth it.

If fact that's exactly why I got her..I missed my little buddy snuggled up to me, or on top me, or anywhere he could be that had to have contact with his daddy
She's become a perfect replacement for that very reason!

He's 4 now, she's 2. I hope both last as last as long as our other two!!

Best

Old 08-02-2023, 09:58 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Thanks for rescuing this very sweet kitty. You are awesome!!

Old 08-07-2023, 05:46 PM

3,252 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Cats are known to choose their humans carefully. You have been chosen. Enjoy your new companion.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:49 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Congratulations on your new cat.

I currently have two black cats. My husband mixes them up, can’t tell them apart. I can but I’m their mama. We’ve had two othe black cats in the past. I love my black panthers.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:16 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Just an update: New cat is settling in quite well. He even slept with us a few nights. He spends about 2/3 of the time indoors, but when he wants out, he bolts for the door and I let him hang out there for a while, where he spends most of his time limited to our backyard. There's lot of in and out all day long .

He and our other cat spend a lot of time playing and wrestling. They're both boys around 1 year old, so they sometimes overdo it and get a little too rough, and one vocalizes displeasure until they go their separate ways for a while.

They do seem to amplify each other's curious and mischievous habits and whenever I hear a crash or something knocked down, it always seems to be both of them present. I can't quite figure out which is the culprit and which is just a witness...

Old 08-09-2023, 06:21 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Just an update: New cat is settling in quite well. He even slept with us a few nights. He spends about 2/3 of the time indoors, but when he wants out, he bolts for the door and I let him hang out there for a while, where he spends most of his time limited to our backyard. There's lot of in and out all day long .

He and our other cat spend a lot of time playing and wrestling. They're both boys around 1 year old, so they sometimes overdo it and get a little too rough, and one vocalizes displeasure until they go their separate ways for a while.

They do seem to amplify each other's curious and mischievous habits and whenever I hear a crash or something knocked down, it always seems to be both of them present. I can't quite figure out which is the culprit and which is just a witness...

LOL, they are likely using their best "I'm innocent!" faces ... I can just picture their little kitty paws pointing surreptitiously at the OTHER kitty ...

Old 08-09-2023, 10:03 AM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:

Sometimes what us humans interpret as fighting is just playing hard for them.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:34 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Silly cat dad! They're both innocent!
Glad to hear the new kitty is doing well. Yay!

Old 08-13-2023, 06:16 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
We have 2 cats- indoor cat T is a year old domestic longhair and DK is an outdoor cat who adopted us about 5 years ago after he was left behind by previous owners. T is not allowed outside and DK almost never comes inside (though he's proven himself to have the skills and litter box abilities to live indoors). Kids had been lobbying for an additional indoor cat as a playmate for T because DK has no interest in being friends or living indoors.

So, about a month ago, a small, a thin black cat started hanging around, slithering over to eat leftovers from DK's bowl etc. For his part, DK, who used to chase off other cats and get in howling contests with them, has allowed this new cat to spend time here and even eat of of this bowl at the same time. Hmm. Over the past week or so, this new cat has decided to put on a full court charm offensive with everyone in the household, including our 10 yo Australian Shepherd, so of course, the kids want to keep him and say "it's meant to be."

On Thursday, I threw the cat in an extra kennel and took him to the vet because T had his scheduled annual exam. New cat is an neutered male approx 9 months old. Vet confirms my teen's concerns that a young adult black male cat has very little chance of being adopted (thanks for that, Dr. Vet). New cat was purring while being examined while T was hissing and growling (did I mention the charming part?). New cat gets rabies shot. Call local shelter and they are over capacity and not doing intake. They say they can send an animal control officer over. They also confirm that things don't end well for short haired black cats. I don't want the cat, but I can't bear to send him to a bad outcome...

Next thing I know, I've made an appt for new cat to get neutered and get the rest of his shots next week. Let him indoors last night and he and T were following each other around. By this morning, they were chasing each other all over the house playing. New cat is displaying a very passive, get along with everyone type of personality. He's no dummy.

So, do you all think we have a new cat or what?
You're doomed. He is now a duke under your first cat who is king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats