Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 01:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times

Advertisements

I know I keep coming back to this thread, but it just makes me angry. With help, my family and I have rescued 12 cats and 2 dogs over the years and I'm pretty sure some of these rescues would turn me down because I feed store-bought food and have outside cats. I don't need any more animals, but it just bugs me.

The local pound here has a $10 fee for cat adoption and I don't think you have to promise to do anything. Now, perhaps their rules are too lax, but the animals are going to be killed in ten days or so, anyway, so most homes will probably be better than that, even if the cats are outside or used to kill pests. You want to do whatever necessary to prevent the animal (and offspring) from becoming a problem, so I definitely understand rescues requiring spaying, but it would be helpful if they had some deal with the vet where it did not cost an arm and a leg. Spaying a female cat is over $100, not including shots and worm prevention/treatment and all of that.

As far as black pets being the last to be adopted, I guess God gave me the black ones for a reason. My big fluffy male (now an inside cat) is black. Our mother cat had three black kittens (one we gave away, one got hit by a car, and the other is Tilly, whom we had spayed). We also have a black dog. Probably the only one of our cats who would be considered all that beautiful is our male tabby. The rest probably wouldn't be the first adopted at a shelter, although Mr. Fuzzy is long-haired, so that might make a difference.

I have a thing for black cats, though. Still, black or not I do whatever I reasonably can to save the furry-faced creatures that show up. And it's not like the local pounds/shelters could or did help me. I have you guys and my family to thank for that. And God as well. I have a feeling that he helped it all work out.

If you want to adopt, I'm not saying never go to rescues. However, if you know one is very strict then you can always check the newspaper, petfinder, shelters, and pounds. Even stores sometimes have people outfront giving away dogs (we got one puppy that way about 15 years ago). There are lots of options for people who have the resources and the love to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I got my cat from Craigslist after being turned down by a rescue group. I was denied a pet because I have a full time job, don't have a yard, and did not want to adopt more than one pet. Oh, another black mark, I did not want a home inspection. Okay.

Jasper thinks this place is pretty great. Chicken or salmon every day, a big fluffy comforter on my bed in the sun, and a nice patio for him. He is perfectly happy here for the next 20 years.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I got my cat from Craigslist after being turned down by a rescue group. I was denied a pet because I have a full time job, don't have a yard, and did not want to adopt more than one pet. Oh, another black mark, I did not want a home inspection. Okay.

Jasper thinks this place is pretty great. Chicken or salmon every day, a big fluffy comforter on my bed in the sun, and a nice patio for him. He is perfectly happy here for the next 20 years.
With such strict rules I can't see how they find many of them homes. The shelter here does check to make sure people either own their property or if renters, a note from the landlord and they check that for legitimacy. Spay/neuter is paid for in advance. The only group I would be leery about letting a cat go to are young couples and college kids. The poor cat seldom gets a forever home from what I've seen and heard. Craigslist just about confirms it.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 PM

48 posts, read 103,344 times
Originally Posted by 2dogsonly
I
drove 20 miles to pick up a rescue dog on 12/17/10. Didn't hear one
word from these people for 2 weeks. Fell in love, filled out adoption
app. BUT still refused by these rescue nazis. They came to my home &
grabbed the dog. I had excellent references(my 2 dogs are rescue dogs)
& a grooming ref. My vet told them I had my pet's teeth cleaned,
sick dog visits but no record of up to date vac. I explained I had used a
mobile vac. service but would re vac. if required. This darling dog was
extremly timid & not at all housebroken. Not a easy forever home
placement. I had soothed her and encouraged her for 2 weeks. They came
for home visit & the head person grabbed dog, handing her to her
assistant who then ran out of my home!. When I asked why they would do
something like that, the head of Shih Tzus & Furbabies said : your
house is in short sale (it's not-I own it free & clear), your 2 dogs
are morbidly obese (1 is a 19 lb. Shih Tzus & other is 15 lb.
Bichon). Both are over 10 yrs. old but I walk them 2x's a day & they
aren't like those dogs or cats w/ stomach dragging on ground!.And 3rd
reason: shots aren't up to date. So they took this poor baby up north
where they take most of them. Dog is still available on their web site
but they changed her age & name.

BTW-all non-profits tax returns can be viewed publicily -just google
rescue name & tax return. this rescue spent 85k on boarding fees to a
place in NY. Apparently, they transport 90% up north even though their
address is South Georgia-The dogs aren't fostered w/ a family but at a
vet.

I absolutely believe in rescue concept but I would never subject myself
to this heartbreak again. These rescue agencies are ,sadly, turning
people off & actually encouraging pet shop sales. They either
attract overzealous peta types or this brings out an extreme desire to
control coupled w/ limited commonsense. It's a wonderful concept but
poor management & people skills are going to ensure failure-and a
return to buying pets from private owners.

Wow.... If they had pulled that crap at my house they would have been looking down the barrel of my 12 gauge. Outrageous!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM

This has struck a nerve-There were only 30 something in 2008 (relating to bad rescue experiences)-more than 120 when post picks up in 2010,,,I know, I know, I need to get a life but this increase in interest points to something going on in rescue world. And it ain't good...Rescue volunteers, hope you pay heed!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,309 times
Ok, I'll share some of my pet adoption stories, both good and bad.

My first experience with a rescue dog was when I adopted "Fat Dog" Riggs. I had wanted a Norwegian Elkhound since I first saw one and having done my homework, I discovered that that particular breed would be a good fit for me. Sadly, pups from a breeder are frequently $500 plus, a bit much for my budget.

As such, my wife began looking at rescue groups as she had prior experience fostering dogs. She found a breed specific rescue group which had several different dogs needing homes. Well, we went to Lakewood where Riggs was being kept to meet him.

I approached the door and before I could even knock, this giant barrel looking dog shot out the door and nearly knocked me down. I knelt down to pet him and he buried his big timber wolf looking head in my arm pit and wouldn't leave my side from that moment on. The lady who had him said, "Yep, that's your dog".....

I paid the $75 dollar fee (completely reasonable) and he's been with me ever since. I figured it was a win-win for everybody involved. Riggs needed a permanent home and I sure wanted a big friendly dog.

I think for a lot of people, adopting an adult dog rather than a puppy is more practical anyway.....

Another time however, our attempt to adopt a rescue dog didn't go as well.

A local group had placed an ad in the paper stating they were holding an adoption fair at such and such location. Wanting to adopt a smaller dog as a more playful companion animal for our small kids, off we went....

We arrive at this event with our twin girls and begin looking around at the different dogs and asking questions.

Now, I should re-state that my wife has considerable experience with dogs of all kinds and I'm not completely ignorant either, so we were paying close attention to how each dog interacted with the kids and vice versa.

We finally found a smallish mixed breed dog with a strong Papillon influence. I'll be the first to admit I'm not really a small dog kind of guy, but I saw how happy my little girls were playing with that dog and how he behaved playing with them. It appeared to be a match made in Heaven and most important to me, my girls were thrilled.....

The young lady who was supervising this particular pen concurred. She told my wife she could hold the dog and that we just needed to see another lady, fill out a couple of forms, and pay the fee. Cool right?

Noooooo..... When we go and speak with the woman the young lady had indicated was in charge, she took the dog from my wife and flatly stated she would not adopt the dog to us. No questions, no explanations, just no.

Now, my wife is a very well educated and rational woman. She can hold her own with anyone intellectually. I thought this woman was in for the ass chewing of her life, but my wife just turned away, defeated....

You see, despite the fact that my wife holds two bachelor's degrees as well as her MBA and has a very successful career, she still has issues thinking she's not good enough.....

My wife was wounded by this woman in such a way that she couldn't respond and my little girls were upset and crying that their new found friend couldn't come home with us the way we said he would be. I had to do something.

I'll tell you all right now that this adoption Nazi was lucky, damn lucky, that she was in fact a woman. Had she been a man, I would have settled the matter in the way that big, blue collar guys like me frequently do. Instead, I just waited a bit till she put the dog down. I scooped him up, plunked my $150 adoption fee on the counter (I wouldn't want any one calling me a thief), and headed for the car.

To this day I am amazed at how quickly the police showed up....

Anyway, since I had paid for the dog I hadn't stolen anything and since I hadn't threatened or hit anybody, I really hadn't broken any laws. In fact, the officer when talking to adoption Nazi, indicated to her that he was unsure why he had been called. Ultimately, the police officer convinced me it was in my best interest to surrender the dog and be given my money back.

Anyway, long story short, We didn't go home with the dog. I failed my wife and girls, and the only high point to the whole day is that I didn't go to jail......

I'm still pissed off......

I'll tell you what though, that will be the last time I attempt to adopt a dog from one of these psycho rescue groups.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
typical behavior of animal hoarders. Control issues, they are usually marginalized in society, so they exert the little control they have in "choosing" where animals go. The woman "decided" your family did not meet her "criteria" she wanted a "perfect" home, in her mind, that is one without children. Their criteria is not based on any logic. I have talked to these rescue people about placing animals, and with complete seriousness this woman told me she would not place a dog with a minority family, because they don't take care of pets. No reason. Just her bias. Beyond bizarre...

Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Our local humane society wouldn't let us adopt because on the form when it asked where the cat would be at night and during the day I said "wherever it wants to be".

They don't allow cats to be adopted if they're going to be outdoor/indoor cats as outdoor cats have shorter lifespans.
When we told them about our current cat who adopted us, we were told we should train her not to want to go out!

My answer to that was "why would I want to?"

Cats are meant to go outdoors and we have an acre and live on a very quiet residential street.

Ridiculous!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Please keep posting pet adoption stories! Maybe they will effect a positive change.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
It isn't about you and your outrage at being turned down. Its about the animals. If you've ever adopted an animal to a "good home" that turned out to be abusive or irresponsible - you'd understand. Just try to imagine the guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats