Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
This thread is scaring me! Pet stores aren't as strict, right? I really want to rescue one but if they won't let me have one I would choose getting one from the pet store over not getting one at all.
Don't be afraid. Pet STORES that SELL kittens aren't particular as to who BUYS their cats. Petco and Petsmart, for example, have nothing to do with adopting out the animlas, they only provide the VENUE for shelters and rescues. I believe the marjority of rescues are pretty reasonable in their adoption policies. If you're not allowed to adopt one, ask why. It could be a particular cat is not a good fit for your situation, but another cat may be. And if you happen to run into one of those organizations whose rules are a bit extreme, try another rescue.

One word of advice: Since you rent, take a copy of your rental/lease agreement that shows you are allowed to have a pet. Being prepared in advance will help to shed a favorable light on you as a potential adopter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
This thread is scaring me! I have been planning for months to get a kitty when I'm settled in to my new apartment (I'm moving in a few weeks for a new job). I'm afraid the shelters will not accept me I adore cats- I always had one growing up but this would be the first pet that I own on my own. I'm fairly young (24) and I'm a renter, but my new place accepts pets and I even already paid the pet deposit since I knew I was going to be getting one right away.
You'll be fine. Don't let this thread alarm you. What has come up on here is the one extreme. While there are varying degrees of what shelter organizations request when you adopt, most are not at that extreme. As mentioned as a renter it would be a good idea to have the info showing that you are able to have a cat in your apartment. They may request to call the landlord directly to verify this.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,244 times
Quote:
This thread is scaring me! I have been planning for months to get a kitty when I'm settled in to my new apartment (I'm moving in a few weeks for a new job). I'm afraid the shelters will not accept me I adore cats- I always had one growing up but this would be the first pet that I own on my own. I'm fairly young (24) and I'm a renter, but my new place accepts pets and I even already paid the pet deposit since I knew I was going to be getting one right away. I had no trouble finding housing that took pets- in fact I don't think any of the places I checked out didn't allow cats. Pet stores aren't as strict, right? I really want to rescue one but if they won't let me have one I would choose getting one from the pet store over not getting one at all.
You Will Definitely be able be able to share your new home with a kitty. Don't worry.

As stated in other posts, there are different (I'll call them "levels") or types of rescues and shelters.

My experiences with private shelters were not good, and left me vowing to Never attempt to deal with another one.
Other people have had nothing but good experiences.

I would suggest finding The cat you Really want, and go through the adoption process for that cat, if for some reason that adoption doesn't work out, keep looking (from all sources) for the Right One, don't settle, you will have this kitty for long time.

Unless you have your heart set on a kitten, please consider an older cat.

Personally I never want a kitten (or children) I'm more comfortable with a cat that is more consistent in it's behavior. [Inside joke: So The Universe gave me Meeko, 6 years old]

Meeko was adopted from a kill-shelter, and they practically threw him at me, couldn't get me out the door fast enough.

The other two were unplanned adoptions, from the same Petco, different year, one was from the same shelter as Meeko , the other was there from a private organization, but the process was no where near as stringent as if I had gone to their shelter.

I suppose there are still cats for sale at pet stores that have come from "breeders", but the cats for adoption at Petsmarts and Petcos etc. are all rescues, so you will be saving a life as well as finding a new best friend.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
This thread is scaring me! I have been planning for months to get a kitty when I'm settled in to my new apartment (I'm moving in a few weeks for a new job). I'm afraid the shelters will not accept me I adore cats- I always had one growing up but this would be the first pet that I own on my own. I'm fairly young (24) and I'm a renter, but my new place accepts pets and I even already paid the pet deposit since I knew I was going to be getting one right away. I had no trouble finding housing that took pets- in fact I don't think any of the places I checked out didn't allow cats. Pet stores aren't as strict, right? I really want to rescue one but if they won't let me have one I would choose getting one from the pet store over not getting one at all.

I think we have talked about the exceptions regarding adopting kitties from shetlers. I am sure the majority of them are wonderful. My kitty came from the Oregon Humane Society and I would not hesitate to adopt another from them again. I know of some really good private shelters too.

Please don't give up. Just check out the shelters in your town and find one that works for you.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Most shelters are not that strict. Just a few are. I would certainly go to a shelter and see if you find one you like and adopt him or her. If they reject you, then that's just the way it goes, but they will probably accept you.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,545 times
I got my cat today! I asked around and found a shelter that was very nice and helpful. He is a three year old black and white cat. He certainly wasn't the prettiest one there but when they handed him to me he curled right up in my lap and starting purring. He is so sweet! Thanks for your encouragement!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
I got my cat today! I asked around and found a shelter that was very nice and helpful. He is a three year old black and white cat. He certainly wasn't the prettiest one there but when they handed him to me he curled right up in my lap and starting purring. He is so sweet! Thanks for your encouragement!
What great news!! I'm so happy for you. Does he have a name yet?

The best relationships are always when the kitty picks you...we picked our girl at the shelter because she was trying to bust out of the cage to come see us!

If you get a chance, please post some pictures of your new baby!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,244 times
Quote:
What a lucky cat! Congratulations.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:

CONGRATULATIONS to you both!!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
i have been trying to adopt a cat too and im 51 and disabled and have diabetes and have had five shelters tell me no you are a risk to adopt . So they have thrown me to cl and that is fine i most likely will find a cat that really needs a home and one who might appreciate me even through I have all those things wrong with me LOL !!! Yes folks you read right five shelters have told me no . turned me down flat . really nice huh with all these darling cats and kittens needing homes and they dont think mine will be a good one . I also have two chihuahuas that grew up with a darling maine coon cat who came to me when he was 10 ( I found him living on the streets behind where I worked ) . I did not realize he was that old but he was ill with degenerative g.i issues so I hope i made his last years comfortable . He died last year on my kitchen floor . I still miss him and i remember the pitiful skinny thing that came home with me . well so now im on the hunt for another cat . I think skinny would like the fact that im giving another cat a home . or trying to anyways . So yes Im ready to spit at adoption places and their stupid rules .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats