Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I just don't understand why these puppy-mills aren't reported and put out of business as they crop up. As Rescues find out about them - turn them in. Every time one is discovered here in TN, they shut it down. There were some horrific ones here in the past. Probably still are in some places yet undiscovered.

The Rescues who pay for their worn out sickly brood females just encourage them to unload the older ones faster and move more productive younger females into their cages.... and the beat goes on.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to this horror-show known as Puppy-Mills.
It's easier said than done to shut them down sometimes. Certain counties are more hospitable than others. Some state laws regarding what constitutes proper care for dogs are pathetic. Inspecting agencies are understaffed. In Illinois a woman who had previously had mills shut down in 2 counties, found friendlier territory in a 3rd county. 53 dogs were rescued from her care with splayed feet, various illnesses, one had to have a leg amputated due to an old untreated break. They'd had no socialization, lived out their lives in cages in a cold shed. The county DA never pressed charges. The rescuing shelter sued for the puppies not to be returned to her. After a year a judge did finally give them permission to adopt out the dogs (they charged $200 BTW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
yes... in the rural areas of the south and midwest, they are still "just dogs" and officials are reluctant to interfere with someone just trying to make a living off of these just dogs.....

Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 PM

48 posts, read 103,277 times
Late to the party:
Your pixs are heartbreaking but here's my pt. when rescues don't post before and after (there are no before & after pixs on small desirable shih tzus furbabies site), why not?? Is it because the puppies they rescued were already groomed or in good shape-so rescue is purchasing dogs in good shape?

My little dog died in my arms today-CHF
he was an informal rescue-given to me in vet's waiting room by an informal rescuer- and the dearest little darling.

I will rescue my next one but I want a dog that is not highly desirable-one that really needs to be rescued. Fortunately, the AC in Jax. has changed their focus-it's now Animal Care and Protection-getting away from high kill-so that is where I'll focus.

So, maybe these "boutique", rescues w/ their ridiculous over the top invasive criteria will wise up-and go back to their original pure purpose. Because what I've learned is when you adopt a puppy/cat from these fashion show rescues, you will be put through the ringer and unknowingly are perpetuating puppy mills.. Not at all, your purpose

I have always been a huge advocate for rescues and gave this rescue's name out to many many people, fostered for them twice, voted when asked-

Lesson I learned is some, NOT all, rescues just look "good on paper" We need to look for before/after pixs, open foster contacts, and real stories. If there is only a delightful, generic adorable description, e.g.," he's a beautiful sweet baby that just wants to be loved....blah blah." RUN!!!

Thank you for the pixs and all you do for those pups who, obviously, needed to be rescued

Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM

380 posts, read 833,293 times
This has been an extremely interesting and enlightening thread. (Ours always found us, or were dumped in our backyard.)

I posted a link from memory with a recommendation for a rescue today in Dogs Forum because a friend was telling me all about her rescue work with a breed, and her own pet rescues since 2000 or so, and she was trying to spread the word when it was quite new.

While there's no defending the utterly unreasonable rescues out there, here is an excerpt from this rescue:

When we place a puppy mill rescue, we only place those in a home with another socialized dog. That pet dog will teach the rescued to be a pet and family member, and not a farm animal ...In the beginning we placed ... in homes as an only dog. Little did we know that 100% of those placements would end up coming back to us in just a few short weeks.

...don't know how to relate to people or household ... only know how to relate to other dogs ...As soon as we realized that these ... need another dog in residence, it became one of our hard and fast rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsonly View Post
So, maybe these "boutique", rescues w/ their ridiculous over the top invasive criteria will wise up-and go back to their original pure purpose. Because what I've learned is when you adopt a puppy/cat from these fashion show rescues, you will be put through the ringer and unknowingly are perpetuating puppy mills.. Not at all, your purpose
When I clicked the link today & saw how far the rescue which I had just recommended has come in 10 or so years (getting Faux "news" and other mainstream mediot attention), my stomach sank and I almost regreted posting it (still debating).

Not because these innocent little dogs will get more attention and find loving homes, but that the Mediot "involvement" will probably make this rescue *appear* to be what 2dogsonly describes above. No doubt that the appearance of these adorable little treasures is the ONLY reason for all the "attention."

Perhaps if those worthless morons gave some air-press time to rescues and facilities with big black dogs and some mutts mixed in too, I wouldn't be so darned cynical of everything.

Sorry I had to get this off my conscience, "boutique rescue" really stuck out after having seen the rescue's "media" accomplishments today.
Shouldn't I be happy for them?
I'm not saying I think the rescue is that -- it's just that the mediot attention reeeealy creeped me out for some reason.

Last edited by Pamina333; 03-27-2011 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Maybe I'm missing the point here but I think breed specific rescues are a good thing. The people involved obviously care deeply about this particular breed and feel they can find kindred spirits for fostering and volunteering. And it makes searching for a specific breed to adopt easier when they are all together in one organization.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Default Just Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yes... in the rural areas of the south and midwest, they are still "just dogs" and officials are reluctant to interfere with someone just trying to make a living off of these just dogs.....
Then there should be stiff penalties for those who keep them in such abominable conditions then, if these breeding places must exist. Make sure they have so many feet of space. That their quarters are clean. That water is fresh, not green slime. You know what I mean. Surely Rescues can volunteer to spend some of their time keeping tabs on these greedy self-serving dog breeders. I've heard there are places like that for cats too - cat breeding Mills but can't find out much about it. If I were to buy a purebred cat it would never be from someone online or a pet shop.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM

380 posts, read 833,293 times
Ohhh no, NoKudzu -- sorry if it came across that way. I was just creeped out by the mediot attention for a rescue which happens to be breed specific because I know that the Mediots see these particular dogs as "boutique", which is the only reason they'd even bother to "help".

I probably shouldn't have quoted 2dogsonly as I went in another direction there. But his/her (entire) post was most thought-provoking. Sorry I strayed there.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsonly View Post
Late to the party:
Your pixs are heartbreaking but here's my pt. when rescues don't post before and after (there are no before & after pixs on small desirable shih tzus furbabies site), why not?? Is it because the puppies they rescued were already groomed or in good shape-so rescue is purchasing dogs in good shape?

My little dog died in my arms today-CHF
he was an informal rescue-given to me in vet's waiting room by an informal rescuer- and the dearest little darling.

I will rescue my next one but I want a dog that is not highly desirable-one that really needs to be rescued. Fortunately, the AC in Jax. has changed their focus-it's now Animal Care and Protection-getting away from high kill-so that is where I'll focus.

I have always been a huge advocate for rescues and gave this rescue's name out to many many people, fostered for them twice, voted when asked-

Lesson I learned is some, NOT all, rescues just look "good on paper" We need to look for before/after pixs, open foster contacts, and real stories. If there is only a delightful, generic adorable description, e.g.," he's a beautiful sweet baby that just wants to be loved....blah blah." RUN!!!

Thank you for the pixs and all you do for those pups who, obviously, needed to be rescued
so sorry for your loss.... may your baby rest in peace.....

you can be sure that if a rescue is saving dogs from a mill situation, they are NOT coming in groomed and vaccinated and spayed or neutered... that costs MONEY that would come out of the miller's pocket.... something they have no interest in......

BUT.... there are millers now that POSE as rescues.... one tipoff to that situation is if they have a large number of dogs and puppies that are under about 2-3 years of age...... mill dogs start retiring at about age 4 or 5.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Then there should be stiff penalties for those who keep them in such abominable conditions then, if these breeding places must exist. Make sure they have so many feet of space. That their quarters are clean. That water is fresh, not green slime. You know what I mean. Surely Rescues can volunteer to spend some of their time keeping tabs on these greedy self-serving dog breeders. I've heard there are places like that for cats too - cat breeding Mills but can't find out much about it. If I were to buy a purebred cat it would never be from someone online or a pet shop.
oh, we have tried that here in Missouri .... the PEOPLE of this state passed Proposition B in the general election last November.... Prop B requires all that you lay out and provides for criminal penalties if these minimally humane conditions are not met.... AND it applies to those breeding operations that are licensed AND unlicensed..... granted, the criminal penalties are only misdemeanors, but ya' gotta start somewhere, right??

well, our state senators, in their infinite wisdom, have passed a bill that GUTS prop b .... it is up for a vote in the house when they go back in session.... and if it passes there, our last chance is the governor vetoing it..... the breeders' groups have been very effective in their scare tactics and propaganda campaign.... they have people believing that if prop b is allowed to take effect, then the next thing you know, livestock (cattle, pigs, chickens, etc.) will be restricted..... and then the farmers will be forced out of business, and big macs will cost $5..... because you KNOW the HSUS has the ultimate goal of no pets and no farm animals and wants everyone to be vegetarian....

paws crossed we can stop it before it makes it all the way through.....

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
This situation in Missouri is disgusting. How can the legislators change what the people voted on? What is being done to keep this from happening? Surely those of us on this forum can contact somebody to voice our opinions or does it not count if we aren't MO citizens?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

.....well, our state senators, in their infinite wisdom, have passed a bill that GUTS prop b .... it is up for a vote in the house when they go back in session.... and if it passes there, our last chance is the governor vetoing it..... the breeders' groups have been very effective in their scare tactics and propaganda campaign.... they have people believing that if prop b is allowed to take effect, then the next thing you know, livestock (cattle, pigs, chickens, etc.) will be restricted..... and then the farmers will be forced out of business, and big macs will cost $5..... because you KNOW the HSUS has the ultimate goal of no pets and no farm animals and wants everyone to be vegetarian....

paws crossed we can stop it before it makes it all the way through.....
Please keep fighting and never give up. Be the squeaky wheels that get the grease. If they see they can't silence or intimidate you or hold out until you give up.... you will get somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats