Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:52 PM

10 posts, read 67,249 times

Advertisements

If you buy fish antibiotics for your rescue cats from a reputable dealer such as Drs Foster and Smith which are BOTH veterinarians that have their own website where they sell ALL KINDS of fish antibiotics then you wont have ANY problem at all, you wont have to wonder if they are the real thing, or if they are this that or the other.

And you dont have to be a Vet Tech such as me to look at a cat and tell that it is sick. Most people with half a brain can figure that out.

And most people cannot afford to run to a veterinarian when they have a sick cat or dog due to this bad economy and the FACT the vets have tripled their prices !!

So anyone that wants to continue whining about fish antibiotics and how they would never give them to their sick cat must be the only people on this forum that own only one cat or two, and that have the money to run to the vet every time their cat so much as sneezes, which is fine if you have that kind of money, however MOST of us on here dont have that kind of money and MOST of us on here do cat rescue so we have way more then one lil kitty LOL !!

So ANYONE on here WHINING about giving cats fish antibiotics heres the deal;
YOU go ahead and spend thousands at the vet, and the rest of us will get the exact same drugs your vet raked you over the coals for at way less cost and our cats will end up just as healthy as yours will!!

So if you dont want to give fish antibiotics to your sick cat then DONT, but DO NOT belittle the rest of us that KNOW the stuff is SAFE and the EXACT SAME thing a vet would give you!!! Thank You and have a nice day!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:55 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What you fail to understand is that antibiotics should not be used this way.

A positive diagnosis of BACTERIAL infection, and the TYPE of bacterial infection should be diagnosed by a healthcare professional before using any antibiotics.

In addition. OTC drugs are not subject to the same FDA regulations as prescription drugs. Now I am no fan of the FDA, but I surely would be wary of putting anything that was sold over the counter or non-prescription over the internet, for fish, into my cats.

You don't know what that bottle of "medicine" has been subjected to. You don't know if it is sterile, or if it sat in a hot warehouse for months or years. You don't even know if what you are buying and using is even what the product says it is.

It's quite simple to open a bottle labeled amoxicillin, put something else in it, slap a new "for fish" label over the old label, and sell it.
As I stated above, antibiotics should not be used without a positive diagnosis of a bacterial infection, that will respond to that particular antibiotic.

Most people DON'T know that their cats are sick, until the cat is very sick indeed, because cats hide illness until they are really suffering.

And advising people to give a cat some "fish antibiotic" bought on line or in a fish store, simply because the cat "acts sick", especially coming from someone who claims to be in animal healthcare, is so irresponsible, it boggles the mind.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 67,249 times
Default What you need to understand is ....

I am a Veterinary Technician and I know it is perfectly safe to use fish antibiotics, I have a medical background so therefore I can look at a animal and tell what is wrong with it and know what meds to treat it with.
Also I buy my fish antibiotics from a Veterinarian owned website called Doctors Foster and Smith, they sell all kinds of fish antibiotics.

They are BOTH licensed Veterinarians that would obviously not sell tainted antibiotics over the internet.
So Miss "Cat Mom" if you do not choose to use fish antibiotics that is fine but you need to quit trying to convince others that they are not safe when you have no medical knowledge what so ever.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettechone View Post
I am a Veterinary Technician and I know it is perfectly safe to use fish antibiotics, I have a medical background so therefore I can look at a animal and tell what is wrong with it and know what meds to treat it with.
Also I buy my fish antibiotics from a Veterinarian owned website called Doctors Foster and Smith, they sell all kinds of fish antibiotics.

They are BOTH licensed Veterinarians that would obviously not sell tainted antibiotics over the internet.
So Miss "Cat Mom" if you do not choose to use fish antibiotics that is fine but you need to quit trying to convince others that they are not safe when you have no medical knowledge what so ever.
Most cat guardians who read this forum don't have your advantage of being a vet tech with a medical background. Seems to me that Catsmom's advice about not giving antibiotics, or any other meds, without a firm diagnosis from a vet makes good sense. To those of us who know nothing about fish antibiotics Catsmom's advice would be 'playing it safe', while your advice would be the opposite.
So everyone should take your word for it, and run the risk? Sorry but I'll pass on that one.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:12 PM

318 posts, read 372,567 times
Like other responses, it's NO secret misuse of antibiotics here have caused serious issues. For years they were improperly and overly prescribed by physicians. For drugs to have an effect, they also have side effects and must be administered properly. I cannot understand how the average person is knowledgeable enough and the facilities/equipment necessary to determine if they or their pets have a bacterial infection, never mind the correct duration of treatment. Also not even considering if there is a serious underlying issue that needs immediate medical attention. Gobsmacked.

I googled the link you provided earlier. I assume this is your website. The writing style is almost identical. And golly, it's selling stuff. Colour me surprised.

Also, how do you know what background catsmom21 has? I haven't a clue. maybe she has first hand clinic experience, maybe she's now a knowledgeable long time pet caretaker. But at least she isn't diagnosing and prescribing treatments to other people's animals over the internet. But yes, belittle her concern so you can sell products.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
Like other responses, it's NO secret misuse of antibiotics here have caused serious issues. For years they were improperly and overly prescribed by physicians. For drugs to have an effect, they also have side effects and must be administered properly. I cannot understand how the average person is knowledgeable enough and the facilities/equipment necessary to determine if they or their pets have a bacterial infection, never mind the correct duration of treatment. Also not even considering if there is a serious underlying issue that needs immediate medical attention. Gobsmacked.

I googled the link you provided earlier. I assume this is your website. The writing style is almost identical. And golly, it's selling stuff. Colour me surprised.

Also, how do you know what background catsmom21 has? I haven't a clue. maybe she has first hand clinic experience, maybe she's now a knowledgeable long time pet caretaker. But at least she isn't diagnosing and prescribing treatments to other people's animals over the internet. But yes, belittle her concern so you can sell products.
Also take note of the rather lengthy liability disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I think I'll stick to the old stand-by of using my vet.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:

You have some sort of magic wand? A crystal ball maybe, that you can diagnose an animal by looking at it?

If you hadn't already discredited yourself this comment surely would do it.

Quote:

Oh I think I will continue to advise people to rely on their vet for medical diagnosis rather that taking the advice of someone who makes these kinds of posts.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:

No one can look at an animal and tell what's wrong with it. Sometimes tests are needed to find the most appropriate antibiotic. An animal can die because the antibiotic its given is won't address the infection it has.

Just because Fosters and Smith are vets doesn't mean that what they sell is always 100% safe. They don't make the stuff themselves, they rely on suppliers. Where is the stuff made in the US? I'm sure they have procedures in place to make sure what they're selling is safe but no system is perfect.

If you're "rescuing" cats then you should be able to care for them properly. If you can't then turn them over to a rescue that can.

You are not a veterinarian, you did not spend years in vet school and pass a licensing exam. You should not be giving medical advice over the Internet.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
No one can look at an animal and tell what's wrong with it. Sometimes tests are needed to find the most appropriate antibiotic. An animal can die because the antibiotic its given is won't address the infection it has.

Just because Fosters and Smith are vets doesn't mean that what they sell is always 100% safe. They don't make the stuff themselves, they rely on suppliers. Where is the stuff made in the US? I'm sure they have procedures in place to make sure what they're selling is safe but no system is perfect.

If you're "rescuing" cats then you should be able to care for them properly. If you can't then turn them over to a rescue that can.

You are not a veterinarian, you did not spend years in vet school and pass a licensing exam. You should not be giving medical advice over the Internet.

In addition Drs Foster and Smith have not examined nor diagnosed your pet.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 6,439 times
One 500mg fishmox,crushed to powder,then with lil medicine cup add 10ml of water,shake well before each use, and keep in fridge,its the same as clavamox suspension from vets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats