Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 31,669 times

Advertisements

Seriously... what is wrong with all of you? You are all, essentially, suggesting that she let the cat run her life. She doesn't want it under there... so what? That doesn't mean there are not other options. It doesn't mean she's a "bad" pet owner. It doesn't mean the cat is unhappy... it simply means she does not want it under the bed. She never once said she didn't want it to be "safe".

Cats also like to claw up furniture. Should we simply allow them to do that because "they're a cat and that's what cats do"... or do you think it's a better idea to just meet their needs in another way? Like... putting up a scratching post or two.

I've had cats my whole life and they've always been comfortable and happy. However, we had a kitten that was destroying the under part of our bed (we eventually had to rip down a lot of it from the box-spring), so we had to block it.

You are all making the assumption that this girl doesn't have anywhere else for the cat to go. How do you know that for a fact?

Once we blocked off the bed, we made sure to have plenty of appropriate places for them to go for safety. Shelves on the wall covered in carpet, child "tents" to hide in, numerous boxes/containers with blankets on varying levels of height.

My point is this; why do you all assume that this cat is treated poorly if the bed is blocked off?

Yes, it needs somewhere safe... but you can't just demand that the place be under the bed. After all, sometimes they destroy that.

Instead of condemning her, you should be offering support and providing options. She wants the bed blocked and there ARE other ways to meet the cat's needs.

Know what else? I have two cats and a dog and MY bed is blocked off. Why? 1. because once it was destroyed 2. one of my cats has Epilepsy and would be seriously injured if he had one of his running seizures underneath.

Point is, you can't judge people based on ONE question. You are all acting like you know everything and that this cat is in a "dire" living situation when you have attacked the poster from the get go. After all... how would YOU respond to a group of people assuming you live one way and making negative statements based on that?

OP; my advice is as follows;

Yes, you can block your bed. This will not in anyway harm your cat IF you fulfill his need for safety in another way. I used boards (as mentioned before). The best way to do this is to measure each side of the bed and the height of the opening. Bring the measurements to Menard's or Home Depot and you're good to go. Covering the wood in carpet might help... this way, if the cat chews on it, it will not hurt him. In fact, he could scratch/chew on that all he wanted.

You mention that you have 3 rooms. Well, perhaps one of them could be filled with things specifically for him. Another great idea, as I've mentioned, is putting shelves up on the wall. It's very simple to do; buy some pieces of wood, shelf brackets and carpet. You can put up as many as you would like (I have 3 at various levels to walk up and down).

You could also put old boxes in the room or throughout your house. This helps them feel better if it's in a corner or on top of something... think that he always wants to see what is going on but does not want others to see him. You can accomplish this by laying a towel halfway over the entrance of the box. He will lay inside and look out of the "peep hole".

Another great resource is thrift stores. I have found many child "tents" and "tubes" that work perfectly for our cats.

Bottom line is this; as long as your cat's needs are being met and he is happy, there is really no "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

For the rest of you; I'm very, very disappointed. We, as a society, are much better than this.

Last edited by lars2458; 10-21-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Seriously, what is wrong with you? Bringing up a 7-month-DEAD thread to answer a question that's nearly 2 years old. Because that is SO useful.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Do you feel the need to attack me now as well? It seems as though that is first resort on this forum.

Google "Block under bed" and this is the first forum that comes up. It doesn't truly matter how old it is when many people are probably searching this specifically for their cats and will get zero help and tons of hatred in this forum... which, again, pops up first as soon as you enter your search words.

I'm sure I am not the only one who has searched this, read this forum and though, "Hey... that's not a very helpful forum. In fact, those people are pretty rude..."

Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Oh please. Just pointing out the ridiculous part of your post: the OP clearly doesn't need an answer 2 years on. And yet, you felt like you had to give one for some reason, specifically referring to the OP. I didn't read the rest of the thread and don't really care what it says. "Seriously, what is wrong with you?" are your exact words so I figured it was appropriate to use them to point out the ridiculousness of your post. Is that not the same thing you were doing? Why is it okay for you and not for me?

Clearly you posted to scold, not to give the answer. Not a very valid reason to bump a dead thread. Admittedly, bumping dead threads for no good reason is a huge pet peeve of mine, so I am perhaps disproportionately annoyed by it compared to other forum users.

You can't really help what Google thinks is relevant. If only every internet search resulted in perfectly useful info....

Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Again, I responded with an answer because I'm sure many people search this and find it as the first result.

The entire forum didn't have a single answer to her question, they were all judgmental and attacking. How is that helping anybody that comes here with an answer to the topic question?

It's not surprising you didn't read the rest of the post, because then you would know that I am the only one who actually addressed her original post.

If "bumping threads" are your biggest concern in life and easily spark your anger, then perhaps the internet is not a great place for you, my friend.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars2458 View Post
If "bumping threads" are your biggest concern in life and easily spark your anger, then perhaps the internet is not a great place for you, my friend.
LOL Anger? How silly.

I love that last line too, so equally applicable to you and what you are trying to "correct" here. You can't correct all the things you perceive as wrong on the internet. You just have to let it go sometimes. (Yes, I know that is equally applicable to me as well.)

Anyway, point being I don't believe your addition to the thread achieved anything (I did read it, just for the heck of it), but that's just my opinion obviously.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 9,639 times
Default Off the shelf products?

I found this post after doing a google search for "blocking under the bed". I realize it's 2 years later, but in case someone else stumbles across this thread, has anyone found an off the shelf solution yet?

Our bed actually collapsed in the middle of the night once (gotta love that wonderful IKEA furniture)- thank goodness our kitty wasn't underneath!

Anyway, now I'm on a mission to make sure she never goes under any of our beds again- better to be safe than sorry. And don't worry, she has plenty of other "safe havens".

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
old thread, but a VERY effective way to keep cats out from places you dont want them is to take that plastic carpet runner protection stuff, the one that has little nubbies underneath to stop it from slipping about.
place it nubby side UP wherever you dont want a cat wandering and tada...they dont like the feel under foot and typically wont stand or lay on it. if the cat is obsessed with under the bed, a simple roll cut into strips to fit under the bed should do the trick quite nicely.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
I agree with the others - he is in unfamiliar territory and he doesn't feel threatened there. If it becomes too problematic, try shutting the door, or try putting a scat mat in front of your bedroom door. Guarantee you he will not even think about going into the room.
Until then, be patient and he will come out when he's ready.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
When I got Sophie from the shelter, she had been obviously neglected. After more than six months, the majority of her time is spent under my bed. I don't mind. I wish she were more friendly to people who come, but she just isn't ready yet. That's her choice.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-01-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats