Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times

Advertisements

As I said in another thread, I'm fostering two cats that I pulled from a shelter on Monday until we can put them on a plane to reunite them with their family in Chicago. I just got the scare of my life when I went up to check on them a couple of hours ago. I found them lethargic, snorting, sneezing, blowing bubbles out of their noses and mouth breathing. With my very limited experience with cats, it looked to me like these kitties were in extreme distress and were going to expire I got them to the vet in record time all the while steeling myself to the possibility that they might not make it.

Luckly, I totally over reacted to the situation Although they are definately not feeling well, my vet assures me that this is a classic case of Feline Herpes Virus (and not the worst case he has seen of it)and will pass in 7 to 10 days. He described it to me as a "Kitty Cold".

Wow - did I read that one wrong (thank goodness!), I also now have a greater respect for y'all that love and work with cat. Those same symptoms in one of my dogs would have them hospitalized!

Well....the kitties are gonna be with us now for another week or so. I'm going to make sure that they are healthy before I even consider putting them on a plane. I may however be posting a few more questions for y'all as the week goes on. I'm learning.....there are a lot of differences between cats and dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
So glad they are in such good hands....I do the same thing when I am on a learning curve with a new animal. Once again, thanks for everything you are doing for these cats!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
How is it that cats from Illinois wound up in a Texas shelter??? That boat I missed.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
How is it that cats from Illinois wound up in a Texas shelter??? That boat I missed.
Here's a link to the previous thread:

Need help Please!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
He described it to me as a "Kitty Cold".
Think for a moment about having a really bad cold. Then remove the ability to blow your nose.

Glad to hear all's well that ends well.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I hope that you've checked out their accomodations on the plane.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 AM

387 posts, read 2,131,666 times
I'm so glad they are both ok! I just read your other thread... poor babies! That was so good of you to rescue them from that shelter. Please keep us posted!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 AM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Those poor kitties. Having a cold sucks! The cat gods surely are showering you with blessings for fostering these cats.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
Before you can fly them or use a transporter, you will have to have a health certificate on each one of them that the vet certifies them healthy and safe to fly. Each one has to have it's on attached to the kennel they are in. The last time I flew any, the certificates were about $10 to $16... I forgot the exact cost, sorry. These certificates are only good for 10 days, after that a new one is required.

I am glad they weren't as sick as you thought they were. Is the owner aware that they have this?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Before you can fly them or use a transporter, you will have to have a health certificate on each one of them that the vet certifies them healthy and safe to fly. Each one has to have it's on attached to the kennel they are in. The last time I flew any, the certificates were about $10 to $16... I forgot the exact cost, sorry. These certificates are only good for 10 days, after that a new one is required.

I am glad they weren't as sick as you thought they were. Is the owner aware that they have this?
Yes, I talk with and update the owner every day. She (of course) would love to be reunited as soon as possible. However, the kitties will NOT be going anywhere until they get a clean bill of health from my personal vet. As for travel arrangements....They will be flying to Chicago (non-stop) via Continental Petsafe when they are well enough to travel. I know all the regulations and documents that are needed to fly animals. I've used Continental for moving our dogs and foster dogs all over the country as needed. They have always done a very good job for us. I'm also very happy to say that Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is going to help with the costs for the transport!

I'll work on that next week though. For now they are our very special house guests and have a bedroom for their exclusive use (even a TV) with an attached bath for the kitty litter box. I'm sleeping up there with them too until we can get them on their journey home to their family. We can't give them the run of the house though because of one of our dogs. Unfortunately....Gator thinks cats make a wonderful snack

Thanks all for the kind thoughts and words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats