Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times

Advertisements

Tom Hanks. Even if you don't like his movies (I'm not particularly a fan), it's hard to hate on the guy.

I did think of Oprah but I would say there is a vocal minority of haters who think she's too egotistical or new age-y. Cosby might be up there, but he's been out of the spotlight for ages. I don't think too many people dislike Betty White but is she really that universally known and beloved? I know I don't give a toss about any sports figure and I barely know who Billy Graham is.

If we consider dead people it gets much easier to think of candidates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Just curious...why is Betty White so beloved? Simply because she has grown old very gracefully?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just curious...why is Betty White so beloved? Simply because she has grown old very gracefully?
NO - the opposite - she is a Kick-A$$ kind of old lady. Everyone loves spunky. She makes everyone laugh - and she is secretly what all women want to be when they reach old age. She is the I Love Purple kind of woman. (When I grow old, I shall love purple)

Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Betty White has never done anything that I have ever heard of to offend public sensibilities. Just the opposite--she was loved as Rose on "The Golden Girls", the sex-starved older woman on.....what show was that??? Mary Tyler Moore??? Before that she was on many a game show. She was the wife of Alan Ludden, host of "Password". She has aged gracefully and has always presented a most gracious face to the public. Not to mention she is a strong advocate for the humane treatment for animals.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Billy Crystal

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I stand by my earlier post in that there is no "most loved" American person. Betty White? PAH-LEEZ!! She was a momentarily hot trend for a couple of seconds there and now POOF!!......she's gone and out of the public eye and no one talks of her. Well, maybe middle America still does, but she's no longer on anyones radar here in Hollywood.

We just do not have a "most beloved person" here. Too many different groups of people with differing views and ideas and interest to have a "most loved". This isnt like Thailand where EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE loves the King.

Take Angelina Jolie for example, she does things for those in need around the world that are almost on a Mother Teresa type level. But you have people (usually women) who say they hate or cant stand her because she "stole" Brad from whats-her-name, or they dont like her because they think she thinks shes so sexy or whatever.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
The most beloved person in America is.....

Believe it or not.... many people will shrug it off, but this is at the very heart of America...

Ready?

Jesus Christ.

I wonder if anyone comes close. He's not a living person, but I wonder if anyone can trump him in the most universally loved category, across political and racial lines. He's simply a unifying figure, some common ground, finally, yikes.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Betty White has never done anything that I have ever heard of to offend public sensibilities. Just the opposite--she was loved as Rose on "The Golden Girls", the sex-starved older woman on.....what show was that??? Mary Tyler Moore??? Before that she was on many a game show. She was the wife of Alan Ludden, host of "Password". She has aged gracefully and has always presented a most gracious face to the public. Not to mention she is a strong advocate for the humane treatment for animals.
I really like Betty White. She has a great personality, is funny, aged gracefully, does not have an attitude (almost omnipresent among wannabe "celebrities" these days), is worried about a very noble cause without the "I will help the charity but I want it highly publicized" thing; btw, I would love to become and elderly person just as her.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Ronald Reagan.
I have heard that--a good man in his time.

Any person that ever did something good has been hated for doing it.

I know the people I admire are not well liked and they don't care so I'll go with Mark Twain-- a fine cynic. Enjoyed his tales--certain he lol's eternally at what goes on in the mortal realm.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The most beloved person in America is.....

Believe it or not.... many people will shrug it off, but this is at the very heart of America...

Ready?

Jesus Christ.

I wonder if anyone comes close. He's not a living person, but I wonder if anyone can trump him in the most universally loved category, across political and racial lines. He's simply a unifying figure, some common ground, finally, yikes.
Yes, the most severely understood 'person' ever to have lived.

I cannot stand the way his words are twisted and abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities