Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I never realized how much older "Weezy" was than him...she was born in 1917, he was born in 1938!!

He was awesome. What a funny show.
I noticed that, too and was wondering if there was a mistake in dates or something.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I noticed that, too and was wondering if there was a mistake in dates or something.....
No, it's correct.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When people hear Sherman Hemsley they think JEFFERSONS not AMEN
True... My first thought was the Jeffersons but I certainly remember him in Amen. Loved him in both series.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
I was certainly sadden to hear of Mr. Hemsley's passing. I well recall him on All in the Family and then The Jeffersons.

I was interested to read (for I had forgotten) that his 'wife' was the first to start appearing on All in the Family, and that for two years or so George Jefferson was never seen, just referred to by Mrs. Jefferson. When Hemsley then appeared as Jefferson it was a riot to see the exchanges between him and Archie: Archie, of course, could not believe that a black man could possibly be 'prejudice' against white people ("honkies!"). All in the Family certainly suffered some when the Jefferson family 'moved on up' to the East Side.

I fondly recall Sherman's laughter (usually when he thought he had 'put one over' someone), and the way he strutted like a proud rooster (What Mr. Hemsley said was a "Philadephia strut"). Indeed, I believe that The Jefferson's has aged much better than All in the Family.

A remarkable show starring a remarkable comedic actor.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Default Rip...

He was a great comic and always entertaining to watch. Rest in peace Mr. Hemsley.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Again, when they played the Jefferson's theme song on the radio this morning, I said not George , then they announced his death. RIP, Sherman. You helped create a lagacy.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I was certainly sadden to hear of Mr. Hemsley's passing. I well recall him on All in the Family and then The Jeffersons.

I was interested to read (for I had forgotten) that his 'wife' was the first to start appearing on All in the Family, and that for two years or so George Jefferson was never seen, just referred to by Mrs. Jefferson. When Hemsley then appeared as Jefferson it was a riot to see the exchanges between him and Archie: Archie, of course, could not believe that a black man could possibly be 'prejudice' against white people ("honkies!"). All in the Family certainly suffered some when the Jefferson family 'moved on up' to the East Side.

I fondly recall Sherman's laughter (usually when he thought he had 'put one over' someone), and the way he strutted like a proud rooster (What Mr. Hemsley said was a "Philadephia strut"). Indeed, I believe that The Jefferson's has aged much better than All in the Family.

A remarkable show starring a remarkable comedic actor.
I believe there was another man who was 'George jefferson" on All in the Family before Sherman was introduced.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I believe there was another man who was 'George jefferson" on All in the Family before Sherman was introduced.

You know, that stirs a memory. Was it that actor who was thereafter on Soap? I so seem to recall that when George was introduced he was played more sternly than Hemsley did.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
Sherman always made me laugh. I bet he is struttin' his stuff since he has moved on UP. R.I.P., Sherman.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post

That man was Henry Jefferson who played his brother. George Jefferson was referred to but not seen for 2 years and then made his appearance, For 2 years the story on All in the Family it was said that George Jefferson didn't want to step foot in a white man's house which is why he wasn't seen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities