Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
O M G
I don't know why I bother clicking on this thread. I guess I keep thinking we're gonna talk about..........oh I don't know.............celebrities??????
Maybe you misunderstood. The thread is about celebrities, their ignorance about flu vaccines, and why what was said on the TV program is ignorant. You do not have to participate. No one is forcing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Maybe you misunderstood. The thread is about celebrities, their ignorance about flu vaccines, and why what was said on the TV program is ignorant. You do not have to participate. No one is forcing you.
when I see a new post and I click on it,which I will continue doing, I truly expect the conversation to be about Gayle King and Nora Whoever.
You're right-no one is forcing me
Maybe you misunderstood what forum you're in

Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Here we see endless news shows about this flu epidemic and how important flu shots are and yesterday Gayle and Nora on CBS This Morning admitted they are afraid to get flu shots. Gayle even said she was afraid she would get the flu if she got the shot. I think it was very irresponsible for them to both admit that on national television. Of course it is their right to get the shot or not but to say they were afraid of it on national TV was really bad. do you agree?
Quote:
when I see a new post and I click on it,which I will continue doing, I truly expect the conversation to be about Gayle King and Nora Whoever.
You're right-no one is forcing me
Maybe you misunderstood what forum you're in
In answer to no kudzu's question, yes, I think Gayle and Norah were irresponsible and showed their ignorance, especially by expressing the belief that the vaccine causes flu, a belief shared by at least one poster here.

My initial response was to that issue and subsequent responses to those who replied to me. That seems pretty much the way CD works.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:

My initial response was to that issue and subsequent responses to those who replied to me. That seems pretty much the way CD works.
in the correct forum-yes.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Here we see endless news shows about this flu epidemic and how important flu shots are and yesterday Gayle and Nora on CBS This Morning admitted they are afraid to get flu shots. Gayle even said she was afraid she would get the flu if she got the shot. I think it was very irresponsible for them to both admit that on national television. Of course it is their right to get the shot or not but to say they were afraid of it on national TV was really bad. do you agree?
I did not watch the show. But, based on what you wrote here, it sounds like they were merely expressing their own opinions for themselves. Had they said that they didn't believe that "people" should take flu shots then they would have been irresponsible and out of line.

I've been taking flu shots every single year for 28 years, since I was 36. They work for me.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

I did not watch the show. But, based on what you wrote here, it sounds like they were merely expressing their own opinions for themselves. Had they said that they didn't believe that "people" should take flu shots then they would have been irresponsible and out of line.

I've been taking flu shots every single year for 28 years, since I was 36. They work for me.
The problem is that the show gives them a platform for their opinions that makes it look as if the reason behind the fear (it will give me the flu) is valid. The producers of the show apparently let her statement stand, and that will be the take home message for many viewers.

This is different from commenting on Mrs. Obama's wardrobe.

A television show with a national audience has a responsibility to not spread misinformation.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The problem is that the show gives them a platform for their opinions that makes it look as if the reason behind the fear (it will give me the flu) is valid. The producers of the show apparently let her statement stand, and that will be the take home message for many viewers.

A television show with a national audience has a responsibility to not spread misinformation.

misinformation according to who though? Whose truth?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
misinformation according to who though? Whose truth?

The only truth is that influenza vaccine does not cause influenza infection.

This is science, not religion. You do not get to invent your own "truth."

Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:

I don't think that they were fear mongering or trying to persuade their audience to not get this flu shot. Who the heck would turn to Gayle King or Nora (whoever) to get an informed medical opinion about, well, anything. Everyone knows that these women aren't medical professionals and it sounds like they only made these statements after a doctor guest on their show recommended getting the shot.

Mole hill meet mountain . Fact is, people know darned well what the experts are recommending, yet, for whatever reason some people are choosing not to get the shot for themselves. Many probably have the same sort of reservations about the shot that Gayle and Nora have expressed. In no way does it sound as though they were presenting their own views as informed medical facts - these were clearly personal opinions. I would actually find it far more alarming if these women were "forbidden" to make casual remarks like this...

This is a non-issue.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
[quote=Pawporri;27876631]
Quote:

That is like contempt prior to investigation. The site actually presents both sides of the arguments and even refers some of your citations. To really grasp the information it would takes substantial reading and intellegent thought - which is all I suggest to anyone who wants to find some answers. You protest to much and that implies radicalsim, to me. I do not brand any of your information as mythical or untrue. We could play statistical games back and forth all day long but I like the old adage "Statistics don't lie, but most statisticians are liars." The very people you defend -Big Pharma - has an agenda, too, and don't think a lot of Americans don't know that. There's lots of money being made with these vaccines.

If you read the referred site that conclusion is totally debunked, as well as the severe dangers of mercury from vaccines. So I believe that mercury is a major issue and I choose not to put it in my body nor that of my children. There are numerous articles that debunk that conclusion. You are the one choosing to believe your data sources and you are free to believe them. I and many others question their veracity.
I learned a long time ago not to believe everything I read and to question "experts", especially politicians, businessmen, companies and professors because they are still driven by their belief systems, as all human beings are.

and there have been a LOT of lives saved by vaccinations..... polio, smallpox, pertussis, measles, influenza, to name just a few.....

problem now is, people too young to know what it was like before vaccinations were available.... they have this sense that because these illnesses and infections are no longer widespread or are even extinct, that vaccines are no longer necessary.... they rely upon the "herd immunity." And this is a BIG reason pertussis is making such a comeback.... as is measles......

I am annoyed by people "choosing" not to vaccinate and then relying on the immunity of the vaccinated herd to keep from getting sick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities