Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,154 times

Advertisements

I just read that and it makes me feel somewhat better. I'm glad that he acknowledged that his actions were over-the-top wrong. It takes a lot to admit that.

The reason I don't feel 100% better is because I saw no evidence of "I did wrong and I'm taking steps (anger-management, yoga, meditation, whatever) to learn how to deal with things more constructively next time I get so worked up". Maybe I missed that part in the article or maybe the writer left that part out.

For me, apologies are good. Making amends is better. Working to prevent the same mistake from occurring again is better still (even if you're not 100% successful, at least make the attempt).

Now, if I don't rent/see his movies, it'll be because I'm simply not interested, not because of his behavior (I'm looking at you, Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I'm glad that he acknowledged that his actions were over-the-top wrong. It takes a lot to admit that.
He probably hired a PR team to advise him on what to do...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
He probably hired a PR team to advise him on what to do...
I am sure he already has PR people.
No doubt some spinning is going on.
The public will decide whether or not they still want to see Bale's acting.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 PM

91 posts, read 226,191 times
Quote:
I just read that and it makes me feel somewhat better. I'm glad that he acknowledged that his actions were over-the-top wrong. It takes a lot to admit that.

The reason I don't feel 100% better is because I saw no evidence of "I did wrong and I'm taking steps (anger-management, yoga, meditation, whatever) to learn how to deal with things more constructively next time I get so worked up". Maybe I missed that part in the article or maybe the writer left that part out.

For me, apologies are good. Making amends is better. Working to prevent the same mistake from occurring again is better still (even if you're not 100% successful, at least make the attempt).

Now, if I don't rent/see his movies, it'll be because I'm simply not interested, not because of his behavior (I'm looking at you, Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson).

I second everything you said! That's exactly how I feel.

Woof Woof Woof, we all have PR people, or for us regular citizens just friends or family members giving us advice on how to handle situations. It takes a wise person to LISTEN to advice and it takes a secure person to be willing to acknowledge a problem and apologize.

But seriously, is it REALLY newsworthy when an 'artist' has a temper tantrum? Who knew that entertainers could be temperamental & moody? Shocking!!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Guyland_Mom View Post
But seriously, is it REALLY newsworthy when an 'artist' has a temper tantrum? Who knew that entertainers could be temperamental & moody? Shocking!!!!
Newsworthy and of real substance?
No.
Escapist Hollywood gossip fodder? Bingo.

Quote:

I agree that making amends and actually learning and growing from your experience are important.
This is up to the individual.
Telling the public you are "going into treatment" sounds swell, but sometimes is just a publicity line or a way to look good in the courtroom.
Didn't Mel go into anger management classes or some such thing?
I don't doubt for a minute that he still dislikes Jews.
I will still see his work if it interests me.
I am usually able to separate the behavior from the artist.
However, I doubt that I'll be buying a Gary Glitter album any time soon.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
I just listened to a clip

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/audio/020609_bale-mp4.mp4

of him apologizing over the air on a radio show...and I have to say I'm impressed. Kudos to him for getting over himself.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just listened to a clip

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/audio/020609_bale-mp4.mp4

of him apologizing over the air on a radio show...and I have to say I'm impressed. Kudos to him for getting over himself.
He's not over himself. He's just under advisement from his PR firm who has stepped in to help him with damage control. The guy's an actor, remember?

Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 PM

91 posts, read 226,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Newsworthy and of real substance?
No.
Escapist Hollywood gossip fodder? Bingo.
Exactly! But I'm pretty sick of the media focusing on all the NEGATIVE antics of celebrities.

Are they somehow encouraging celebrities to misbehave in order to get publicity?

Why do they virtually ignore all the POSITIVE stories dealing with the responsible & sane celebrities?

IMO, the media is almost as reprehensible as the worst of the celebrities because they're lowering the bar for what our society comes to expect.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
He's not over himself. He's just under advisement from his PR firm who has stepped in to help him with damage control. The guy's an actor, remember?
Well of course he is. But I think he did a great job of knocking himself down a few notches. And he did...regardless of whether he was advised to, or not.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Guyland_Mom View Post

IMO, the media is almost as reprehensible as the worst of the celebrities because they're lowering the bar for what our society comes to expect.
I agree, but the problem is, they wouldn't sell it if we didn't buy it.

Chessiemom, I agree that he made a graceful apology, and IMHO the gesture is not completely hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities