Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:02 PM

172 posts, read 1,065,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
She is almost totally unrelatable as far as I'm concerned and her whole audience is a bunch enslaved wannabes.
I noticed that some of her diehard (fanatical) supporters were completely defending her behavior on her community forum. People fear her as if she is some kind of dictator or omniscient demigod. It's pretty scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,738,148 times
Why is it Oprah was not politically active in presidential elections until Obama was in the bidding?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,105,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I guess I am the only person in the free world that has never watched the Oprah Show ... not one episode!

My d-in-law even subscribes to her magazine.
No, wait ... there are two of us! I've never seen it either.

My nail lady, who is also one of my friends, Tivo's it and watches it all the time. Every time I see her she asks "Did you watch Oprah the other day?" I don't know how many times I've told her that I'm not really a TV watcher and that I never watch TV during the day. Then she keeps urging me to tivo it and watch it at night. She does the same with Dr. Phil and Suze Orman, and I've never seen their shows either. Yeah, that'll be the day I sit down at night to watch TV with my husband and we watch Oprah or Phil or Suze!

But what really bugs me is when she and I are having a conversation and she brings up something like "Well, Oprah says ..." or "Dr. Phil says ..." I have to wonder if she has a mind of her own sometimes!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,193,951 times
Most Oprahites and Dr Philmaniacs need those two fools to do their thinking for them.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM

172 posts, read 1,065,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Most Oprahites and Dr Philmaniacs need those two fools to do their thinking for them.
It frightens me that fans are so adamant about defending her actions. It makes me wonder...where is the self-respect?

Here is what I posted on her site:

I thought the whole point, originally, was to watch someone like her present the stories and let the audience think for themselves. Not anymore because now you must be force-fed. They hope you'll watch the show and keep your magazine subscription and tune in to her radio show and continue buying the books she likes and adore the celebs she approves of and make other people she touches famous. BUT who are you, the supporter, in all of this?

Oprah has a bubble around her which was built by your funds, your adoration, your wasted time in front of the television. But is she you? Can you relate with her...really? Can she relate with you? Is she really a hero for donating her money, I mean YOUR money?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM

127 posts, read 501,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post
I was very upset by Oprah's Friday Live Show from last Friday 3/6. I'm not an avid watcher of Oprah but I have tuned in from time to time over the years. (I don't subscribe to her magazine or buy the books on her list or any of that.)

If you were fortunate enough to have missed Friday's show, let me explain...

First, Oprah's friend Gayle was talking about her appreciation for "couple's speak" i.e. the simple things we say to each other such as "honey do you want me to pick some milk up for you at the store" or "do you need anything?" Oprah just had to chime in with "My version of couple's speak is 'your plane or mine?'"

Then they brought out Oprah's good friend Tyler Perry and proceeded to tell a long-drawn out story about how Mr. Perry surprised both Oprah and Gayle with brand new white Bentleys for Christmas! They were sure to cap it off with "Oh but that was before the economic crisis." But isn't that nice that he bought a billionaire and her buddy matching Bentleys!

Oprah also told a story about how she and Mr. Perry were on their way to Jennifer Aniston's birthday party, when he casually said, "Did I mention I bought an island today?" Ha ha ha, they laughed--isn't that so funny!

They also introduced Oprah's new purebred cocker spaniel puppy (which they say she "rescued" from a shelter but it was a no-kill shelter and god forbid she buy a mutt!). Anyhow, the dog was wearing...you guessed it...a Ralph Lauren sweater!

How on earth during these troubled times could they be bragging about this stuff to an audience who could not possibly relate? Did Oprah miss the memo on how to be tactful during tough economic times? The same week that she had a show about people who have lost their homes and live in tents, they did this live show bragging about extreme wealth and luxuries. I just don't get it!

I completely understand that she is wealthy, and I am not saying she hasn't worked hard for it BUT couldn't she have kept these things between her rich pals instead of rubbing it in the faces of people who are battling just to make ends meet? Wouldn't it be wise to pass on the casual plane rides after she had Al Gore himself on her show talking about global warming?

I went on to her community forum and there were almost 400 posts by people who were very upset about this, but this morning the entire thread went POOF! Deleted by her staff!

Your thoughts?
Very inappropriate. I wonder why Tyler would buy them anything?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,247,221 times
That is just bizarre. If Oprah wants anyhting she can simply buy the platinum-plated version for herself.

I know Perry makes huge money but I think I would reign in the spending a bit. Maybe he'll declare the island his personal residence and save on taxes- who knows. But I have two letters and a noun for him: MC Hammer.

I think Oprah's in an odd spot because people like her as a 'down-home' personality but she has been rich for twenty years, and ridiculously rich for about 15. Even if you are well-meaning, earnest and a hard worker at a certain point exceptionally wealthy people talking about everyday problems just rings hollow. Look at politics- Teresa Heinz, Mitt Romney and Cindy McCain all came off poorly when people felt their lifestyles did not jibe with their (or their husband's) rhetoric.

I at least give Oprah credit for keeping many longtime friends and employees around but one or two of them need to have a come to Jesus meeting with her in regard to what most people can stomach during this recession- or in general.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,491,820 times
Wow! I didn't see the show but that was inappropriate and unsympathetic to the viewers at this time. Maybe when we come out of this recession/depression it will be okay.
I think it's okay for the wealthy to spend as much money as they can at this time-someone has to keep the economy going but to flaunt it is tacky and low class.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,256,235 times
I don't have have strong feelings about Oprah one way or another. I do have many strong opinions about other things - but I don't constantly post about them over and over and over on these or other boards.
This thread seems an innocent enough response to one episode - but of course it opens it up to those who use these forums to vent their (pretty weird) hatred.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,193,951 times
so......you popped in to start an argument? Or to tell other members we are haters?
Trying to figure out your motives if you had nothing better to contribute to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't have have strong feelings about Oprah one way or another. I do have many strong opinions about other things - but I don't constantly post about them over and over and over on these or other boards.
This thread seems an innocent enough response to one episode - but of course it opens it up to those who use these forums to vent their (pretty weird) hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities