Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,247,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post
I was very upset by Oprah's Friday Live Show from last Friday 3/6. I'm not an avid watcher of Oprah but I have tuned in from time to time over the years. (I don't subscribe to her magazine or buy the books on her list or any of that.)

If you were fortunate enough to have missed Friday's show, let me explain...

First, Oprah's friend Gayle was talking about her appreciation for "couple's speak" i.e. the simple things we say to each other such as "honey do you want me to pick some milk up for you at the store" or "do you need anything?" Oprah just had to chime in with "My version of couple's speak is 'your plane or mine?'"

Then they brought out Oprah's good friend Tyler Perry and proceeded to tell a long-drawn out story about how Mr. Perry surprised both Oprah and Gayle with brand new white Bentleys for Christmas! They were sure to cap it off with "Oh but that was before the economic crisis." But isn't that nice that he bought a billionaire and her buddy matching Bentleys!

Oprah also told a story about how she and Mr. Perry were on their way to Jennifer Aniston's birthday party, when he casually said, "Did I mention I bought an island today?" Ha ha ha, they laughed--isn't that so funny!

They also introduced Oprah's new purebred cocker spaniel puppy (which they say she "rescued" from a shelter but it was a no-kill shelter and god forbid she buy a mutt!). Anyhow, the dog was wearing...you guessed it...a Ralph Lauren sweater!

How on earth during these troubled times could they be bragging about this stuff to an audience who could not possibly relate? Did Oprah miss the memo on how to be tactful during tough economic times? The same week that she had a show about people who have lost their homes and live in tents, they did this live show bragging about extreme wealth and luxuries. I just don't get it!

I completely understand that she is wealthy, and I am not saying she hasn't worked hard for it BUT couldn't she have kept these things between her rich pals instead of rubbing it in the faces of people who are battling just to make ends meet? Wouldn't it be wise to pass on the casual plane rides after she had Al Gore himself on her show talking about global warming?

I went on to her community forum and there were almost 400 posts by people who were very upset about this, but this morning the entire thread went POOF! Deleted by her staff!

Your thoughts?
Rich people have no concept of reality. They live in their own little universe. Pity them. I'll bet, that even with her money, there are some nights where she pours herself a glass of [very expensive] wine and cries. Money can't buy you happiness. Sorry. The stories of unhappy rich people are legion. I feel sorry for her. She isn't married, has no family (to speak of), and has an ongoing weight problem (again due to her insecurities, I'm sure) Oh, and she is black.

I wouldn't trade places for her for anything. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,432,351 times
Another one here that doesn't watch her, nor am I interested in watching her show. I was tired of reading about the school she built in Africa. Well my opinion is if she cares about Africa so much she should go there and do her show.
All these talk show hosts should understand that when they air their political views on their shows they just lose t.v. viewers. This also goes for the actors in this country too. They are nobody, why would I care what they think anyway.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,312,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
Very inappropriate. I wonder why Tyler would buy them anything?
Pretty obvious to me. He wants to be apart of the 'in crowd' now that he's wealthy. So he's buying his way in. I'm sure he isn't the only celeb to shower her with expenisve gifts. Then again to him, a Bentley isn't that expensive. He's made millions off of his awful movies.

During the depression people liked to watch movies about being wealthy or rag to riches type scenarios. Not everyone wants to see others doing badly and I'm sure some are tired of hearing bad news day in and day out. Not everyone is hurting right now. And before you ask, I don't watch Oprah either.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 PM

419 posts, read 652,079 times
I am anti-Oprah if anything. She has transformed herself into her own personal god sitting at the head of her self made kingdom full of money and fame worshippers. It is really quite sad. If you have earned your money then you have a right to spend it as you please. It is inconsiderate to rub it in the faces of people losing their homes in droves though. But why would you expect anything different from her ? She is an arrognant fool full of unforgiveness.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 AM

62 posts, read 160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I am anti-Oprah if anything. She has transformed herself into her own personal god sitting at the head of her self made kingdom full of money and fame worshippers. It is really quite sad. If you have earned your money then you have a right to spend it as you please. It is inconsiderate to rub it in the faces of people losing their homes in droves though. But why would you expect anything different from her ? She is an arrognant fool full of unforgiveness.
I agree. She has put herself upon her own personal pedestal and has no qualms about flaunting her wealth and fame. I don't watch her show, but I DO get sick and tired of reading articles where she is whining on about her weight. She's fat. She's always been fat, and she's always going to be fat. I guess all that money of hers can't buy her the one thing she wants...to be skinny and beautiful.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM

18,278 posts, read 26,015,146 times
Every time I think of her I recall that trip she made to Amarillo, Texas in regards to the "mad cow" disease that was going on at the time. It wasn't too long after that a friend of mine went through there and saw numerous bumper stickers that said, "The only mad cow around here is Oprah!"

That pretty much says it! Moooooo!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,564,525 times
I watched Oprah "back in the day" when her show was A.M. Chicago. I liked her then and in her earlier years. At some point along the way I just lost respect for her. She has jumped on every bandwagon there is and then some. Her magazine? The one that she must be on the cover EVERY SINGLE MONTH??? What kind of an ego must one have to do that? Seriously. she needs to get over herself, then maybe all those followers would get a life too.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM

172 posts, read 1,066,241 times
My boyfriend thinks that all of her followers just need someone to tell them what to do with their lives. I guess it means I might be wasting my time ranting about this stuff. Her vast group of followers wouldn't have a clue what it means to think independently. The best I can do is completely tune her out at this point--after all I have never been a fan so there is nothing to be lost.

I will admit, that I tuned into her live show the Friday after the infamous Bentley show. I gave her 15 minutes to apologize to her viewers. Of course she didn't!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 AM

419 posts, read 652,079 times
APOLOGIZE !? To who ?? "Deities" don't apologize to mere mortals. Duh !

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,964,130 times
I've posted this link before. I think this is another good time to reflect the true nature of Ms. Oprah!

YouTube - MAD TV - Oprah Talks About the Economy

"Buy A Mountain"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities