Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM

172 posts, read 1,066,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_princess View Post
apologize !? To who ?? "deities" don't apologize to mere mortals. Duh !
lol! :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I've posted this link before. I think this is another good time to reflect the true nature of Ms. Oprah!

YouTube - MAD TV - Oprah Talks About the Economy

"Buy A Mountain"
Thanks so much for sharing! What a crack up--I completely forgot that Mad TV is the only outlet for those of us non-believers!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

897 posts, read 2,831,165 times
Has her BFF (President Obama) not publically scorned her yet? I'd love to see that

Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Has her BFF (President Obama) not publically scorned her yet? I'd love to see that
Yeah really!

PS It's annoying that she acts like she owns the Obama's now. It's like she has to put her little stamp of approval on everything!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,061,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post

Then they brought out Oprah's good friend Tyler Perry ....he bought a billionaire and her buddy matching Bentleys!

Oprah also told a story about how...Mr. Perry...casually said, "Did I mention I bought an island today?" Ha ha ha, they laughed--isn't that so funny!

Your thoughts?
Perry will probably be one of those--like MC Hammer--who goes broke and wonders where the money went.

The rest, I have no opinion on. Not an Oprah fan.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,709 times
Default This is much less offensive than her comments, right?

Branson,

You can disagree without denigrating someone's physical attributes and race! You obviously couldn't think of some intelligent way to criticize her behavior so you (like most racists) decided to undermine the fact that she is Black. Shame on you for hitting below the belt. It's people like you that makes me really glad we are not under Jim Crow rule anymore.

I thought that segment of the show showed poor taste myself. If you are content with the life you are leading and not envious of others who have amassed great fortune, however, then you can recognize less than tactful actions without being affected by them personally. It's what happens when you live by the golden rule.:-)

Passerby2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Rich people have no concept of reality. They live in their own little universe. Pity them. I'll bet, that even with her money, there are some nights where she pours herself a glass of [very expensive] wine and cries. Money can't buy you happiness. Sorry. The stories of unhappy rich people are legion. I feel sorry for her. She isn't married, has no family (to speak of), and has an ongoing weight problem (again due to her insecurities, I'm sure) Oh, and she is black.

I wouldn't trade places for her for anything. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,397,269 times
I once had a lot of respect and admiration for Oprah because she did present herself as "just one of us". She also had shows where she encouraged people to "give back", and to help people who needed it. She also had shows on medical issues and encouraged women to take care of themselves. She may still have shows like this, I don't know because I don't watch anymore.

I started losing respect for her when she would be talking to someone and would say something like "Now you can tell your friends you talked to Oprah Winfrey." Or, "It's not every day you get to talk to Oprah." She also started sending out conflicting messages. One day she would have a show with young girls or women, telling them not to try to be like others, that they should be proud of their individuality, and to just be themselves. Not to try to be like the celebrities because they were just as important. Then, the next day she would have celebrities on, falling all over them, and having them share their "secrets" with us so we could all be more like them! I never watched many of her celebrity shows.

Also, have you noticed when she gives the audience something (even when it's just a cupcake from a bakery she likes) how they scream? It makes me wonder if they have signs up telling them to scream.

I did watch when she had the school built in Africa for the girls. I thought it was incredible that she did that, but someone with her kind of money has to do things like that to get tax breaks. I also remember the controversy because the school was just for blacks, which is ok with me, but many didn't care for her attitude when she said, "It's my school, and I can have whoever I want in it." Which is true, but she could have been a little more tactful, IMO. I still think that was a great accomplishment by her. I'm thrilled for those young girls.

Branson, what in the world did you mean by this: " Oh, and she is black."

Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,952,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Pretty obvious to me. He wants to be apart of the 'in crowd'.

Guess I'll never be in that crowd as I can't stand the woman.

I like my people humble and who make their donations (no matter how large or small) anonymously.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I started losing respect for her when she would be talking to someone and would say something like "Now you can tell your friends you talked to Oprah Winfrey." Or, "It's not every day you get to talk to Oprah." She also started sending out conflicting messages. One day she would have a show with young girls or women, telling them not to try to be like others, that they should be proud of their individuality, and to just be themselves. Not to try to be like the celebrities because they were just as important. Then, the next day she would have celebrities on, falling all over them, and having them share their "secrets" with us so we could all be more like them! I never watched many of her celebrity shows.
Good point. The contradictions are quite bold!

Speaking of messages, self-help is quite trendy these days. However, all of Oprah's perfectly packaged tag lines about living "your best life" make me sick. I think we'd all be better off without her telling us how to live our lives. It's quite condescending, especially when you consider her recent behavior regarding her fame and fortune. And most of these so-called self-help gurus and methods are a regurgitation of Buddhist philosophies anyhow.

For me, once someone or something is a topic on her show, it's like the beauty and ingenuity of it is drained; it instantly becomes branded, fake, plastic, and completely undesirable to me. I guess it has the opposite effect for her fans.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM

23,616 posts, read 44,386,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Guess I'll never be in that crowd as I can't stand the woman.

I like my people humble and who make their donations (no matter how large or small) anonymously.
Apparently most of the people on this thread like their people poor, too. God have mercy on someone like Oprah that has enjoyed enormous financial success through nothing but her own efforts. She should be sent to the guillotine for that, right?
I think her attitude is "well, everyone knows I've got it, why pretend like I don't?" My experience with her is that she takes a humorous, ironic attitude towards her wealth...'flaunting' is not what I'm hearing from her. Not for nothing, she's doing a great deal of good with her considerable resources...she's not exactly Leona Helmsley.
I'll let you get back to your Wealth Envy Party now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities