Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of 24/7 Wall St. before, and there's a good reason for that, because this article is terrible, littered with inaccuracies and misunderstandings.

"T-Mobile, the U.S. wireless provider, is owned by telecom giant Deutsche Telekom (DTEGY.PK - News). It is the No.4 cellular company in an American market that only supports two really successful firms -- AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless. Even the third-largest company in the market -- Sprint-Nextel (NYSE: S - News) -- has 50 million customers. T-Mobile had 34 million customers at the end of last year. T-Mobile only had a profit of $306 million in 2009. That was down from $483 million in 2008."

"A merger with Sprint-Nextel has been mentioned several times."

Sprint is actually losing money ($760 million in the 2nd quarter), so a $306 million profit for T-Mobile looks great by comparison. If anything, Sprint is the endangered company. They are still recovering from a disastrous merger with Nextel. Sprint certainly isn't going to attempt to take on another struggling company right now.

What would be more likely is Deutsche Telekom absorbing Sprint.

"Another alternative would be a merger with Virgin Mobile."

Virgin Mobile in the US is already wholly owned by Sprint. They license the name from Branson.

"Maybe Deutsche Telekom will just change the firm's name."

Why? T-Mobile doesn't have an image or branding problem. They have a technology problem.

Interestingly, this is the exact opposite of Sprint. Sprint, right now, has the best 4G coverage in the country, but the Sprint brand has been tarnished after years of mis-steps.

But the T-Mobile part of this article looks downright scholarly when compared to the Kia part:

"Kia Motors Corp. is one of the two car brands of Hyundai of South Korea. It has always been a marginal brand."

Kia has increased market share for many years now. They are in expansion mode, opening plants in the US. Kia is one of the top ten best-selling car brands in the US- they are not in any way "marginal".

"Its stable mate, Hyundai USA, has a reputation for high quality cars like the Sonata and Genesis. Kia sells "low rent" cars and SUV nameplates like the Sorento and Rio."

Is this article from 10 years ago? Have they not heard of the Forte and Soul?

"As GM and Ford (NYSE: F - News) have already discovered, it is expensive to maintain multiple brands and storied car names, including Pontiac, Saturn and Mercury, are disappearing."

That's because none of those brands actually stood for something. There was no reason to get a Mercury instead of a Ford, because they were the exact same car. Hyundai is positioning its Hyundai and Kia brands very differently- Hyundai is being positioned as luxury-and-quality-on-a-budget. Kia is being positioned as fun and youth-friendly. You don't see Ford getting rid of Lincoln, GM getting rid of Cadillac, Toyota getting rid of Scion. That's because all of these brands have a successful niche. Pontiac and Saturn didn't.

"Most Kia cars sell for $14,000 to $25,000. Hyundai has several cars in the same price range. Hyundai's Sonata has quickly become one of the best-selling cars in America, and its Genesis flagship model competes with mid-sized BMWs and Mercedes. The parent company will take a page from several other global car companies and dump its weakest brand."

Hyundai's "weakest" brand is better than some companies "strongest" brand. It'll stick around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I just updated my T-Mobile phone, and didn't hear anything about it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I find it hard to believe. T-Mobile has improved its coverage and seems to be a good brand. I have heard it will even get the iPhone next year.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
But look at what Sprint is doing tho....

- Building out a 4G network...

- Must keep that Sinking Ship Nextel Alive for some reason

- Operate 3 simulatinous networks

Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
I find it highly unlikely that T-Mobile will go anywhere. It launched the Android craze and has a decent line-up. Right now its facing some stiff competition as far as phones. But this is something all carriers go through. At one time Verizons phone line up sucked and Sprint had the best camera phones (early 2000s). But its a phase all carriers go through. Especially if they do get the Iphone, the G2 coming soon, and the my Touch slide and HD2, and the Samsung GalaxyS phone ain't that bad either.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Well, its almost September. Nine months in, how much of this article has proved true?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Well, its almost September. Nine months in, how much of this article has proved true?
I think I see your point. I can't find one part of this article that has proven true yet.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think I see your point. I can't find one part of this article that has proven true yet.
Uh, fellers... Give it a chance... It's 2010 still...

"One of 10 Brands That May Disappear in 2011"

Old 08-28-2010, 02:26 AM

4 posts, read 15,805 times
For the price, T-Mobile offers great value. They do still have good roaming coverage in many parts of the USA and it works well. Their HSPA+ will be the fastest mobile data, at least for a short time until LTE tops it. They offer feature phones that can tether 3-3.5G to a computer for $10/month. Their UMA service is unmatched in the USA, and it is superior to mircocells/femcells in many ways (overseas to USA use, many free wi-fi locations, cheap b/g hardware). Their only real problem is poor in-building coverage and spotty rural coverage.

DT is making good money with T-Mobile and it is highly unlikely the US govt. will allow any more consolidation in this industry. If they come out with a great new android phone, then subscriber numbers should start to look good. If the new Nokia N8 is a great new phone, then T-Mobile will also benefit. Having the highest rated/most popular phone seems to be very important in today's market, at least for bragging rights and to promote peer pressure for sales.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
From the article, it looks like T-Mobile will either merge with Sprint-Nextel or another competitor. It doesn't look like they expect them to go completely belly-up.
I don't see that as happening. The technologies are different and I doubt that the Justice Dept and the FCC will sign off on anymore mega mergers. If T is put up for sale, more likely they will be bought by a non cell company that can make synergy with them. I would guess:

1. Google
2. Comcast or a combo of cable companies.
3. Quest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones