Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times

Advertisements

I mean it makes perfect sense.

The cell phone senses that the car is in motion and disables phone calls. Unless you have hands free or whatever other technology there is. Or you can pull over.

a close friend mentioned this to me before and it sort of surprised me that there was never a talk of this.

Personally, I do not care if you use your phone while driving. Its just most people cant drive and talk at the same time and their driving goes out the window completely.

Does Apple Iphone's stock share go up every time one of their customers crashes?

Is it a civil rights issue and would create a huge debate on personal privacy and all that?

Id think with all the contracts you need to sign initially, your practically a slave to the service provider and youd think they wanted their customers to be safe and that they would force this upon them.

I can see people getting angry that they wouldnt be able to receive or make a call while on the road, BUT, the hands free set/blue tooth enables you to.

Remember when the Iphone came out? It was exclusive to one cellular provider. Everyone that didnt have the service waited up to 3 years to get the Iphone. Nobody went crazy, they just sat there abided. No one tried to get a lawsuit

Im not picking on Iphone, just using that as an example.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,208 times
How would the phone know if you are in a moving car as opposed to a train, bus, subway, or bicycle?

Also, doctors sometimes need to be able to be reached for emergencies - if they happen to be driving, they couldn't. Paramedics often use their cellphones while transporting patients.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 AM

547 posts, read 774,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post

The cell phone senses that the car is in motion and disables phone calls. Unless you have hands free or whatever other technology there is. Or you can pull over.

a close friend mentioned this to me before and it sort of surprised me that there was never a talk of this.

Personally, I do not care if you use your phone while driving. Its just most people cant drive and talk at the same time and their driving goes out the window completely.

Does Apple Iphone's stock share go up every time one of their customers crashes?

Is it a civil rights issue and would create a huge debate on personal privacy and all that?

Id think with all the contracts you need to sign initially, your practically a slave to the service provider and youd think they wanted their customers to be safe and that they would force this upon them.

I can see people getting angry that they wouldnt be able to receive or make a call while on the road, BUT, the hands free set/blue tooth enables you to.

Remember when the Iphone came out? It was exclusive to one cellular provider. Everyone that didnt have the service waited up to 3 years to get the Iphone. Nobody went crazy, they just sat there abided. No one tried to get a lawsuit

What do you guys think?
You mean something like this?
Ford MyKey

Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
The only way anything like that would ever happen is government intervention. And it would have to be NFC based, not movement. Because obviously there are other modes of transportation than a car.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post

What do you guys think?
What if I'm a passenger in a car?

Under your proposal, even though I'm not driving, I wouldn't be able to use my phone.

That's not acceptable.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
How would the phone know if you are in a moving car as opposed to a train, bus, subway, or bicycle?

Also, doctors sometimes need to be able to be reached for emergencies - if they happen to be driving, they couldn't. Paramedics often use their cellphones while transporting patients.

Posted with TapaTalk
THIS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Under your proposal, even though I'm not driving, I wouldn't be able to use my phone.

That's not acceptable.
And THIS.....

Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

That's not acceptable.
If it saves lives, it's absolutely acceptable. Pull over if you need to make a phone call that urgently. You know we used to live without cell phones right?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times
As someone that works in this industry, it has been in discussion for several years. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet for it.

The other posters have pointed out the flaws with trying to engineer a solution. It would affect passengers or riders of mass transit. An app simply cant dictate whether you are the driver or not. Nor do we have a mass ignition solution that is linked exclusively for the cell phone which can turn a car on/off and then be linked with shutting the device off or to some limited state.

Educating the public and having warning pop up's on the screen are about the best that can be done at this point in time.

Its a great idea though and I am glad to see that people are at least discussing this. In CA where I reside, its a hefty fine. I have seen over the past year, less and less people talking on the phone without a hands free.
I would recommend if you are not in a state that has fines for talking on a phone to write to your state lawmakers.

While it wont stop anyone from using their phone while driving, at least making people pay for it and having some accountability could prevent more use.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
I see people talking and 1 million times worse texting on their phone all the time swerving all over the road. One guy yesterday swerved into the should on the interestate around a curve going 70mph. What if someone was broke down or pulled over? Fatal accident likely.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
If it saves lives, it's absolutely acceptable. Pull over if you need to make a phone call that urgently. You know we used to live without cell phones right?
Did you read the post you replied to?

Why should a passenger in the back seat not be able to make or receive a call?

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones