Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times

Advertisements

Time to upgrade from my beloved Blackberry Curve 9670 - I really like my current phone - clamshell design and purple to boot. However - I think I need to move forward and am now able to upgrade. I am tied to Sprint through work and of all their choices I like the looks of the Samsung Galaxy S® III 16GB - it will be $99.00 to upgrade to it.

I have some vision issues - so my main reason for this selection was the screen size. I read the reviews on the Sprint page and the biggest complaint seems to be the battery life - does 9 hours sound right?

Any ideas or comments on this choice appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I am on my 3rd SIII, with another on order, and they have performed well. Only replacing them because I drop them on pavement and smash them.
Get a Ballistic phone case. $15 on Ebay.

9 hours sounds about right. And, of course, if you manage battery use, keeping screen brightness down, minimize use of apps that run continuously, you may do better.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Thank you for your reply - I will look into that case idea. Is this the biggest screen for the money ($99.00) do you think?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Yes on the galaxy III. I get about 9 hours, too. A cracked screen can be replaced on this phone for not too much money. I got mine for $40 through Tiger Direct. go here and check your eligibility for an upgrade:
TigerDirect | Best Mobile Phone Lineup | Smartphones & Cell Phones

Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yes on the galaxy III. I get about 9 hours, too. A cracked screen can be replaced on this phone for not too much money. I got mine for $40 through Tiger Direct. go here and check your eligibility for an upgrade:
TigerDirect | Best Mobile Phone Lineup | Smartphones & Cell Phones
Wow - thanks for the link - Tiger Direct is asking $49 - Sprint wants $99.

If I buy from Tiger Direct will Sprint store still transfer the phone numbers from my current phone to the new phone?

I don't understand - the Sprint account is a business account through work - will buying from Tiger Direct change that?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
I have no experience with business accounts. I would imagine someone at the business is responsible to see that upgrades are correctly managed.
For our two personal lines, we entered the data on the account online with Tiger Direct. When the phones arrived I charged them up over night. When I turned them on they self-activated and brought in our contacts which I had previously backed up; all automagically! They have the same two numbers as before.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks for your reply - I think Tiger Direct has the better price becuase they then become your account manager - which as a business account customer - I cannot utilize without the say so of my plan admin at work.

No worries - I will go through the proper channels to get the upgrade within the confines of the business account.

Sprint store in Columbia, MD has this model in stock (in purple) and "Sid" has offered to help me transition to the new phone in person.

Thanks for your replies - will let you know how it goes.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am on my 3rd SIII, with another on order, and they have performed well. Only replacing them because I drop them on pavement and smash them.
Get a Ballistic phone case. $15 on Ebay.
Yes on Ballistic.

The S3 is very fragile... drop it on anything other than a pillow and you'll most likely end up with a cracked and/or dead screen. That's what happened to me.

I got a Ballistic case and my replacement S3 survived multiple drops without a scratch. Get the case.

I switched to the iPhone 5s in September... and my Ballistic case arrived before the phone did.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

I switched to the iPhone 5s in September... and my Ballistic case arrived before the phone did.
So maybe I should wait and change to a more sturdy phone?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
So maybe I should wait and change to a more sturdy phone?
I wouldn't say that... the S3 is a fine phone. It's just wafer thin and and any kind of impact will likely result in screen damage. That really doesn't make it any different from any phone though.

I switched to the 5s because I wanted compatibility with my new MacBook Air... and iPhone works better with it than Android.

You'll be fine with the S3... just get a case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones