Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Every phone jack has to have the capacity to call emergency services in the US (911 system).

So buy a cheap old phone at any garage sale, plug it in and when you need 911, voila. No need to pay anything monthly.

Not true. It depends on the state, and area within that state. Also, if someone is ditching a landline and expecting to be able to make a call to 911, and can't, there goes the reliability/peace of mind factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM

16,545 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Hey, if it comforts you....
Personally I'm not pissing away $30 a month, which is what ATT wants here for a basic landline, on the very very off off off chance that the ONE time I need 911 to save me, that I will be unable to speak and give them my location...

Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,790 times
Just another general comment...we have had multiple land lines for many many years. I guess we are just lucky that spam calls there are few and far between. (We have registered them with anti spam site wherever that is). I get more junk, spam, nuisance, and wrong numbers on my cell phone and the annoying text services. YMMV but unmanageable spam calling is not a general characteristic of all land lines and is usually easily dealt with.

another nice basic feature of most (true) land line phones is that they don't have to be consciously charged all the time (like every night with many cells that are used regularly). Old fashion line powered types are not charged at all and always ready for extended CLEAR SIGNAL use, even over pretty good speakerphones if you have power. Remote wireless stations remain charged for many days out of their cradle/charger. When you have a bunch of them in the building/home the normal resting place is in the cradle/charger so they are usually fully charged and available in most rooms you want to answer in (without having to carry the darn cell with you everywhere).

I haven't read this whole thread but I suspect these things have been mentioned before...and this one too ...the signal quality on many cell phones is pretty bad...we have learned to 'settle' for mediocre quality and (IMO) comfort. This will continue because many people have grown up on cells and think that they are as good as it gets and cool too (as well as their own personal statement) etc. (not that there is anything wrong with that )...and of course as I said before, there is more money for carriers in having everyone owning and trade in and renew service etc. ... a phone, tablet, wristwatch etc. and pay just a little more for each and added 'services' and trade in. Old phones last for many years...

Nevertheless, it seems inevitable that land lines and wired phones will eventually become too expensive and hassle prone for most individuals.

As previously stated previously, I am content having both for now exploiting each's best features ...

Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Hey, if it comforts you....
Personally I'm not pissing away $30 a month, which is what ATT wants here for a basic landline, on the very very off off off chance that the ONE time I need 911 to save me, that I will be unable to speak and give them my location...
You don't need to speak to give them your location. They can pull the GPS data off your phone.

Example/Anecdote:
About a month ago I was driving along the highway, using the GPS so I didn't have a good sense of where I was. In a field next to the road there was a big fire, about 60ft diameter, burning up some trees and whatnot. I pull over, call 911. I tell the operator about the fire and tell her I'm not sure exacltly where I am but she can pull the GPS data from my phone. She does, and then tries to explain to me where I was. I told her I was just going to use the GPS and keep going. Fire truck passed me about 2 minutes later.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
You don't need to speak to give them your location. They can pull the GPS data off your phone.

Example/Anecdote:
About a month ago I was driving along the highway, using the GPS so I didn't have a good sense of where I was. In a field next to the road there was a big fire, about 60ft diameter, burning up some trees and whatnot. I pull over, call 911. I tell the operator about the fire and tell her I'm not sure exacltly where I am but she can pull the GPS data from my phone. She does, and then tries to explain to me where I was. I told her I was just going to use the GPS and keep going. Fire truck passed me about 2 minutes later.
Then again, remember not everyone has GPS on their phones, so they still have to verbally communicate the problem. I don't have GPS on mine by choice.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Then again, remember not everyone has GPS on their phones, so they still have to verbally communicate the problem. I don't have GPS on mine by choice.
Analog cellphones were phased out in 2005. It was done by Federal law.

If you cellphone was bought after 2005, it is a digital phone.

Cellphone carriers in my state no longer interface with analog cellphones. It was an outdated tech, no longer serviced.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Analog cellphones were phased out in 2005. It was done by Federal law.

If you cellphone was bought after 2005, it is a digital phone.

Cellphone carriers in my state no longer interface with analog cellphones. It was an outdated tech, no longer serviced.
True, I have a digital phone bought 1 yr ago ... without the GPS feature.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
True, I have a digital phone bought 1 yr ago ... without the GPS feature.
Which phone do you have?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times
Why do I no longer have a land line?

POLITICAL CALLS !

I no longer get them since I only have a cell phone.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Which phone do you have?
I use a LG840G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones