Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think ios is snappier than android because android is based on java virtualization whereas ios is closer to native 'c' (objective-c). java introduces an extra step of translating machine opcodes into a virtual cpu that understands java binary.

one way to combat this is that manufacturers use cpu's with multiple cores; therefore requiring larger batteries to handle the power; therefore screen sizes can be bigger.

ios wouldn't gain much from quad-core cpu's since objective-c is inherently more efficient than java.
None of this post makes sense or is accurate.

First, Android currently runs native ARM CPU bytecode at runtime. There is no virtualization or translation at runtime. The same is true of iOS. There are no "extra steps" at runtime.

Second, iOS is capable of gaining quite a bit in performance with a quad-core CPU for applications that would benefit from it (multithreaded, computer-intensive applications). The same is true for Android. Objective-C or Java doesn't change this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:10 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
i could be wrong but i thought dalvik was some sort of jvm ?

Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i could be wrong but i thought dalvik was some sort of jvm ?
Android doesn't use Dalvik anymore.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Wow! Cortana? What the heck of a name, which by the way sounds like "to cut," or maybe "shorten" in Spanish or Latin.
ms bought bungie and cortana was the name of the ships ai in halo (seems like some cross-promotion marketing gimmick).

also, seems more appropriate for xbox but the xbox's wake up command is still xbox.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Android doesn't use Dalvik anymore.
True, but at last check, 98.4% of devices are not running the version of Android that uses ART by default.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
True, but at last check, 98.4% of devices are not running the version of Android that uses ART by default.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html
Dalvik doesn't use translation as stanley-88888888 suggested. Since 2.3, it's used JIT compiling.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Really NJBest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Thank you Jason. That's what I was going to say. Yea, LOLLIPOP doesn't use Davlik but it's on like what... 4% of devices today?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really NJBest?

Thank you Jason. That's what I was going to say. Yea, LOLLIPOP doesn't use Davlik but it's on like what... 4% of devices today?
4% is about half as many devices as run IOS 8. So, yes, the fragmentation is a larger problem on Android.

However, back to the original discussion; Dalvik isn't a JVM, and since 2.2 it has been a JIT. It's also worth noting that an objective-C method call is translated to a C call at runtime (even though it is compiled) and this initial call is slow, but it is cached with all subsequent calls. Similarly, JIT is fully cached for subsequent calls.

It's worth noting that ASM.js can actually outperform, both, Objective-C and Java on Dalvik (Haven't tested ART) in many calculations including partial summation and sparse binary tree traversal. So, it's not as simple as saying one is simply faster than the other.

That being said, I'd have to agree with NJBest that, for the right software, a quad core CPU can help both, Android and iOS devices.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
In the U.S., yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
You started out so well until you started spewing lies about iPhones. Sure, the iPhone may be able to perform your basic tasks with ease, but Android can just do so much more. It's like comparing a $700 laptop to a $300 chromebook: The chromebook may be able to provide a smooth experience while checking your email and streaming youtube, but does it have the functionality or deep customization of the $700 PC? No. The same thing applies when comparing iPhones to Android; the only difference is, the iPhone costs $700 and the Android also costs $700. Would you buy a chromebook for $700 that does your basics well when you can get a fully featured laptop for the same price? No.

Apple doesn't make a innovative product, they make a watered-down and underfeatured product and then charge a bunch because they know people will buy it anyway.

Oh yeah, and not to mention your argument of Apple products just "working" how you want them to is true to Android as well, you're just inexperienced in the platform. I've used both platforms extensively, and doing these things on Android is just as easy.
I cannot be the only one who sees the irony in your comparison.

In all of these Android vs. iPhone arguments, notice it is a single phone/OS vs. an OS yet many seem to forget that. It is one thing to argue against iOS if comparing it to Android, but you cannot compare the iPhone to the Android OS. The irony continues, nearly all who claim that Android is best are also arguing with the top Android handsets in mind (read: the premium Android handsets). It is almost as if everyone on the Android does not want to admit that there are many, many, cruddy Android handsets on the market. To add, even Android fanbois are divided over which handset/skin is the best.

If you want to compare Android against the iPhone, you gotta go with the Nexus as it is the only true Android phone.

And before I get called an iPhone fanboi, keep in mind that I would never own an iPhone. I am a die hard BlackBerry user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Most of what Zeus posted is either simply wrong, or exaggerated to the point of absurdity.
The Note 4 is the best handset money can buy.

For fun I just compared the specs between the N4 and the i6. Simply comical!

Then I realized that the i6 specs are equal to or lower than the old Galaxy S3 i just retired.

The "experience" of using an iPhone so many tout is like preferring Duplo blocks over Lego.
The thing is that the typical iPhone user really does not care about specs. Why the Android users do not understand this is beyond me.

Apple designs the hardware to run optimally with iOS. There is really no need to up the specs. Android is different in that it is not meant to run on any one particular piece of hardware. In reality, it is kind of meant to do its own thing. Handset manufacturers use specs to 1). optimize the performance of the OS because the OS is not built with any particular set of hardware in mind to begin with, and, 2). Specs sell (Android) phones.

Apple is a software company. Their business model is to also sell their own hardware. When someone buys an iPhone, or an iPad, or a Mac, sure they pay a premium, but with that price they get free access to most of Apple's software offerings that are not only increasingly narrowing in on parity between all of their devices, but also are apps that operate so close to the OS they might as well be a part of the OS. Messages, as an example, feels as if it was built into the phone. Messaging on Android feels as if you are using an app.

Google gives apps away for free (and OSs, too). That is how they get people in. They then mine your information to sell you targeted ads. That is how they make their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That is way beyond their ability to comprehend. You just gave them all headaches.
It is a silly argument to make because they simply do not care. It is like going to a rodeo and trying to convince people that a car is better than a truck only to go back home to your car-loving friends talking about how stupid truck owners are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If $ spent on ads automatically = a proportionate amount of sales, then it would be pretty easy to sell things in our culture, no?
There surely is a difference between GOOD marketing and BAD. Actual $'s spent means nothing.
No one said "Apple spent a lot of money and that ='s sales"... no... Apple spent money on a a GOOD ad campaign.

We do need to have a thread like this every now and then. We just need to try and keep the fan boys in check and discuss it like ADULTS.
CrackBerry4lyfe.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times
It's just that Apple is real good at marketing. Real good. I currently use an iPhone. It works good. I really want a Windows phone.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones