Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 03:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times

Advertisements

Yes it is a cult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM

735 posts, read 656,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
It's amazing to me that you guys will go on for pages and pages arguing about Android devices versus Apple. Amazing.

In the end, they all do basically the same stuff. If one model fits your needs or aesthetics or budget a little better than another, cool, go with that.

But arguing about mobile phones to the point of trading insults? Unbelievable. We deserve to be wiped out by an asteroid.
There is no stopping until everybody sees the light. It is a dream... A glorious dream that we can make a reality with enough right-minded people.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,734,014 times
Sproks kind of touched on something.
I don't understand the ANIMOSITY that some people have over COMPETITORS.
The Apple fan boys WANT to see Android fail...and the Android users WANT Apple to fail.
I don't understand this at all.
Not only do I want BOTH companies to succeed, I'm sad that Blackberry blew it, I hope that Microsoft can get some market share and I hope CyanogenMod, FireFox Phone (or whatever happens there), Linux... all of them manage to be somewhat successful. WE ALL BENEFIT FROM MORE COMPETITION.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:18 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,498,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Do you really expect me to spend the time writing a post about how your essay was wrong in any way? No way, I'll save my time for someone with a decent argument.
Well at least you concede that you're wrong rather willingly. Carry on.

Also I agree with the others, competition is grand. Apple wouldn't have made the larger screened iPhone 6/6+ if other manufacturers didn't push the market towards that direction first. Android as an OS wouldn't exist in its current form if Apple didn't develop iOS and release the iPhone in 2007. We might all be still using tiny Blackberry keyboards others. Now we also have Windows Phone in the mix. There are pretty competent devices available from almost all manufacturers these days.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Well at least you concede that you're wrong rather willingly. Carry on.

Also I agree with the others, competition is grand. Apple wouldn't have made the larger screened iPhone 6/6+ if other manufacturers didn't push the market towards that direction first. Android as an OS wouldn't exist in its current form if Apple didn't develop iOS and release the iPhone in 2007. We might all be still using tiny Blackberry keyboards others. Now we also have Windows Phone in the mix. There are pretty competent devices available from almost all manufacturers these days.
Google's original intent for Android was to release a phone running the OS and with a capacitive touchscreen. I'm sure that the iPhone influenced Android, but it's not accurate, by any means, to say that "Android as an OS wouldn't exist in its current form if Apple didn't develop iOS and release the iPhone in 2007."

Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Google's original intent for Android was to release a phone running the OS and with a capacitive touchscreen. I'm sure that the iPhone influenced Android, but it's not accurate, by any means, to say that "Android as an OS wouldn't exist in its current form if Apple didn't develop iOS and release the iPhone in 2007."
Sure it is. And iOS wouldn't exist in its current form if Google didn't develop Android.

Going into the way back machine, we know exactly what Google had in mind - an ugly clone of what was already out there. We have the pictures showing exactly what they had in the works. Then they found out about iOS and Android devices got delayed for over a year while they made something to compete with Apple.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sproks kind of touched on something.
I don't understand the ANIMOSITY that some people have over COMPETITORS.
The Apple fan boys WANT to see Android fail...and the Android users WANT Apple to fail.
I don't understand this at all.
Not only do I want BOTH companies to succeed, I'm sad that Blackberry blew it, I hope that Microsoft can get some market share and I hope CyanogenMod, FireFox Phone (or whatever happens there), Linux... all of them manage to be somewhat successful. WE ALL BENEFIT FROM MORE COMPETITION.
Agreed.

I like seeing Google fix Android's performance problems. I like seeing them tackle the horrific developer tools and abysmal documentation (nothing like trying to learn from official documentation that tells you to use methods that are deprecated...). I like seeing them work to build a platform that can actually compete with iOS and force Apple into adding features and opening up their platform. Because of Android, I finally have a decent keyboard on iOS.

I also like seeing Android device manufacturers push Apple into making better hardware.

And I like that if Apple drops the ball, there's a viable platform that I can move to. Actually, there are two - Windows Phone is very very good, it just lacks apps.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sure it is. And iOS wouldn't exist in its current form if Google didn't develop Android.

Going into the way back machine, we know exactly what Google had in mind - an ugly clone of what was already out there. We have the pictures showing exactly what they had in the works. Then they found out about iOS and Android devices got delayed for over a year while they made something to compete with Apple.
I actually misread what I quoted.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Agreed.

I like seeing Google fix Android's performance problems. I like seeing them tackle the horrific developer tools and abysmal documentation (nothing like trying to learn from official documentation that tells you to use methods that are deprecated...). I like seeing them work to build a platform that can actually compete with iOS and force Apple into adding features and opening up their platform. Because of Android, I finally have a decent keyboard on iOS.

I also like seeing Android device manufacturers push Apple into making better hardware.

And I like that if Apple drops the ball, there's a viable platform that I can move to. Actually, there are two - Windows Phone is very very good, it just lacks apps.
Well, Google has resolved its performance issues. Now if only Apple can do the same.

Apple has resolved their developer tools issues (only recently). Google has been trying but isn't quite there. But it is well documented.

Now that Android is a step up on iOS, the real war is starting. Apple is no longer the king and they have to work to shine now. Apple does have the benefit of being a closed platform, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

I personally thought the iOS keyboard was better than Android options if you ignore swipe keyboards.

I, too, am a fan of what Microsoft is doing in the mobile market. If only there were apps.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,734,014 times
The stock iOS keyboard, and I've never really been able to concretely pin down why, was always better then stock Android. Always. Simply less typos.
Stock V Stock Android HAS finally caught up with Lollipop.

I'm not a huge fan of Windows Phone yet for pretty much the same reason I don't own an iPhone. The rigidity of being unable to REALLY customize the device which, to me, is where Android really shines.
Oboy, I can move some tiles around... and yet, you can't REALLY organize them the way you REALLY want to. It's annoying.
Pretty user friendly, though.
Apps aren't why MS Phone isn't doing that well. Really. The lack of devices for Win Mobile is pretty pathetic. That's much harder to overcome. You really only have 2 choices if you want a Windows Phone. And where are the Windows Phone commercials? I've seen MAYBE 2.
MS just continues to blow their mobile strategy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones