Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Well, I spent approximately 3 hours today with a Mac computer writing the opening pages of an essay. How do you right click? Please tell me because it'll save me lots of time next time.

Edit: a search tells me you have to hold the control button down & the click on the mouse to activate the right click feature. It'd be much easier if Apple simply had a second button. Every time one wishes to activate the right click feature they will have to search & find the control button. I do somewhat like the concept of having 1 button for the mouse, because it's inclusive for those with certain disabilities, but then Apple need to allow it so you can perform functions solely with the 1 click button mouse, or allow it so the functions require less steps & not more steps which complicates the simple processes.
With the iMac, there certainly IS a right click: just click anywhere on the right side of the mouse and a sub-menu appears right by the cursor or insert point. Choose whatever you need with one more click, and Bob's Your Uncle....

I've never done it the way you described, but if that's possible as well then I think it's yet example of great design and functionality.

In reality the whole right side of the mouse is "the button" which gives you more choice on how you use the mouse.

ETA: If the machine you're using doesn't have the Mighty Mouse, just go to Settings >> Mouse and you'll see option choices. I really don't remember how the older mouse was configured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Good to know there is a right click mouse feature on some Macintosh computers. The available mouse on the Macintosh computers I work with only has the 1 button, & the settings in the settings screen is greyed out to block users from making changes. If no Windows computers are available tomorrow, I'll try the control right click feature tomorrow on the Macintosh computer to see if it makes navigation & performing functions smoother.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 PM

735 posts, read 655,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I guess I don't care about those things. (shrugs)

It does everything I need it to, and does it well.
That's what I thought until I got an Android. It may sound crazy, but once you find out about these things you may find yourself using them every day, even if you didn't think you'd care.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Well, I spent approximately 3 hours today with a Mac computer writing the opening pages of an essay. How do you right click? Please tell me because it'll save me lots of time next time.

Edit: a search tells me you have to hold the control button down & the click on the mouse to activate the right click feature. It'd be much easier if Apple simply had a second button. Every time one wishes to activate the right click feature they will have to search & find the control button. I do somewhat like the concept of having 1 button for the mouse, because it's inclusive for those with certain disabilities, but then Apple need to allow it so you can perform functions solely with the 1 click button mouse, or allow it so the functions require less steps & not more steps which complicates the simple processes.
Yes you hold down control. Or you use a two button mouse. Or you configure your touchpad to recognize two fingers as right click (you can also set it up so it uses the bottom left/bottom right). If you're using a magic mouse, you can have it recognize clicking with your finger on the right side as a right click.

Tons of options. Some of which may not be available to you since you're using a school computer. But you wouldn't come here and complain about Windows not supporting scroll wheels if you went to a public computer lab and used a windows machine that had a crappy mouse without a scroll wheel.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
That's what I thought until I got an Android. It may sound crazy, but once you find out about these things you may find yourself using them every day, even if you didn't think you'd care.
I fix other people's Android problems. Some people just can't figure it out, so they hand it to me to show them how to do it. I'm quite aware of what they can do. I even like Android. However, I'm just fine with the iPhone that does everything I need and more.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:17 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I guess I don't care about those things. (shrugs)

It does everything I need it to, and does it well.
And that's why the iPhone is PERFECT for you.

Me? I like to customize. And nothing is more customizable than Android. I HATE the stock Android txt app. I HATED HATED HATED the Gingerbread Alarm Clock. Not a HUGE fan of Chrome on the phone. Firefox is SO much smoother, faster, prettier. I actually like Safari on iPhone...too bad they won't make an Android version.
I like having choices.

Be together. Not the same.

RE: Payments systems. Let's add YET ANOTHER into the mix...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ith.apple.pay/

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-17-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
I like android, had an android tablet a long time before I ever got a smartphone. I got my iPhone 4s just a year ago, used, from a friend, and I use in on PagePlus. (I cannot bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone). Since the phone was already 2 years old when I got it, it does have some age on it now, and seems like the battery is not what it was. I thought it might be cool to try a newer android phone, on a different prepaid service, just to try it out. I got a Moto G (1st gen) from Cricket wireless. I thought it was pretty cool, until I went to call someone. With my iPhone, I have become so spoiled in that I never ever even have to look at my phone to call someone. My finger finds the home button, I press it, and say "call Mom", or whoever. And it calls. That's it. One press. No eyes on the phone. Easy as pie, and safe while driving. Can't do that with android. And even though that is just ONE little thing that Apple does, it makes ALL the difference for me.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And even though that is just ONE little thing that Apple does, it makes ALL the difference for me.
The newer Motorola Android phones do that and they do it even better. You don't even have to TOUCH the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaQKoIu9zAs

Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My finger finds the home button, I press it, and say "call Mom", or whoever. And it calls. That's it. One press. No eyes on the phone. Easy as pie, and safe while driving. Can't do that with android. And even though that is just ONE little thing that Apple does, it makes ALL the difference for me.
You can also do this with a Windows Phone, & like Peregrine mentioned with the Android, you don't even have to press a button. You simply say "Hey Cortana, call Mom."

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM

It's ONLY Moto Android phones today. The Lollipop update will let other manufacturers use the technology moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones