Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Satya Nadella is not and was not a fan of the Nokia acquisition.
I don't think he is going to use that mammoth software company to generate apps for Lumia like they have the potential to do.

A shame and too bad. I love my 1520.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM

564 posts, read 747,569 times
I have a windows phone and I'm very happy with it, no problems at all, does everything all the others do for a fraction of the price and looks prettier.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Slightly off topic but regarding Nokia. Had they installed Android from the start instead of their own software of windows, they would probably be near the top of the heap since they make such great hardware. It's a shame they made some of the decisions they made.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sproks kind of touched on something.
I don't understand the ANIMOSITY that some people have over COMPETITORS.
The Apple fan boys WANT to see Android fail...and the Android users WANT Apple to fail.
I don't understand this at all.
Not only do I want BOTH companies to succeed, I'm sad that Blackberry blew it, I hope that Microsoft can get some market share and I hope CyanogenMod, FireFox Phone (or whatever happens there), Linux... all of them manage to be somewhat successful. WE ALL BENEFIT FROM MORE COMPETITION.
Thank you. I agree.

I didn't read to see what the OP did or did not do, but I don't think the iPhone 5C is a particularly impressive device here in 2014. It's a solid smartphone that performs all basic functions, but the 6/6+ is the Apple flagship line now, so buying a 5C and wondering why it's not the state of the art is kind of odd.

That would be like buying a 2010 Android device and wondering why it's not as advanced as the iPhone 6 and complaining about Android devices in general.

I like the competition. It's good. If we only had one mobile operating system and one choice of manufacturer, phones would cost much more than they do now, and do far less.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:09 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Thank you. I agree.

I didn't read to see what the OP did or did not do, but I don't think the iPhone 5C is a particularly impressive device here in 2014. It's a solid smartphone that performs all basic functions, but the 6/6+ is the Apple flagship line now, so buying a 5C and wondering why it's not the state of the art is kind of odd.

That would be like buying a 2010 Android device and wondering why it's not as advanced as the iPhone 6 and complaining about Android devices in general.

I like the competition. It's good. If we only had one mobile operating system and one choice of manufacturer, phones would cost much more than they do now, and do far less.

I couldn't rep you again. I think the problem here is the obviously the OP is not tech savvy which is totally fine. I think he or she had a set budget, went into their local carrier and said I have this amount to spend and I want an iPhone so they set it up. I don't think anyone took the time to explain the differences in GB use. I find this to be normal as phone carriers just want to make sale and get you out the door. I prefer iPhone not because I got caught up in the marketing but because I enjoy how it works and the connectivity I have with my other Apple products. I have been a Mac user for years and I have added other Apple products. I enjoy the performance and customer service. I have tried Android and didnt care for the format. I didnt feel it was inferior just different and I prefer iOS.

A friend of mine has been an Android user for years. She wanted an iPhone and knew that is what I prefer. She wanted give an iPhone a try. She went to the store and got a 4s when the 5s came out. She went with the 4s because her carrier offered it for free. Then she was unhappy when she compared the performance to her husband's brand new Galaxy (whatever model it was at that time). Her biggest complaint like the OP was the back button issue. I got tired of her complaining, somehow she wanted me to convince her to keep the phone because as an iPhone user, somehow it was my duty. :roll eyes: I told her to return it and get an Android. She preferred that format. Why keep something you are not happy with?

In terms of iPhone users being more for the wealthy. They did a study and found a higher degree of iPhone users among the middle to upper middle class. I think in general people just go with what they know. If friends and family have an iPhone, they go with that because if they have problem they can ask someone they know for advice.

OP- you are going to not be happy with 8 GB. If you can swing it financially go with an iPhone 6. It has a slightly bigger screen and get a 16 GB. With the holidays, I am sure you can get a good deal on one. When it's time to trade up in a couple of years, you will be surprised that the iPhone has retained a decent value for a trade in. Or just go back to Android.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
the apple is clearly superior.
however of late they are getting less superior.
and android is getting better, the gap narrows but not the purchase price
the real underlying motive of both industries is not cell phones at all.
i will let you in on the secret
the goal is to sell everybody on earth a 2 year 100 dollar a month service plan.
i use smart phones as wifi devices and carry a trakfone for on the road calls. my actual month cost is less than $20.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:57 PM

735 posts, read 655,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the apple is clearly superior.
however of late they are getting less superior.
and android is getting better, the gap narrows but not the purchase price
No. If you want to look at the phones from a technical and functionality standpoint, Androids have been superior for 2-3 years.
Quote:
the real underlying motive of both industries is not cell phones at all.
i will let you in on the secret
the goal is to sell everybody on earth a 2 year 100 dollar a month service plan.
i use smart phones as wifi devices and carry a trakfone for on the road calls. my actual month cost is less than $20.
Now this, I can agree with. That's why I use T-Mobile, you're not locked into a contract and the monthly fees are much cheaper. Buying a phone outright and using a non-contract plan ends up being miles cheaper in the long run, and you've got full ability to switch carriers or phones whenever you want.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
I don't see the big deal with apple computers. They seem like a waste of money to me. On the other hand, I love my Iphone. Granted there are times that I hate it because like everything it has its disadvantages. I had an Ipod before so I was very familiar with the IOS. Ever since I had a Huawei I have hated Androids. To be fair it is a crappy phone but I never liked the operating system. I have an Android tablet which is okay but even then I rarely use it. They have so many apps but you have to weed through the Google play store to find the good ones. It reeks of junk. The IOS store is very secure so you have less chance of having to waste your time looking for quality apps.
I also find that the Iphone is user friendly. I used to never be a cell phone person but I have always found the IOS easy to pick up. I am a computer whiz so maybe that helps so it doesn't really matter what you get. It's just what you're familiar with. Personally I stick with my Iphone 5 as long as I can.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't see the big deal with apple computers. They seem like a waste of money to me. On the other hand, I love my Iphone. Granted there are times that I hate it because like everything it has its disadvantages. I had an Ipod before so I was very familiar with the IOS. Ever since I had a Huawei I have hated Androids. To be fair it is a crappy phone but I never liked the operating system. I have an Android tablet which is okay but even then I rarely use it. They have so many apps but you have to weed through the Google play store to find the good ones. It reeks of junk. The IOS store is very secure so you have less chance of having to waste your time looking for quality apps.
I also find that the Iphone is user friendly. I used to never be a cell phone person but I have always found the IOS easy to pick up. I am a computer whiz so maybe that helps so it doesn't really matter what you get. It's just what you're familiar with. Personally I stick with my Iphone 5 as long as I can.
I find Apple computers to be better from a user perspective, much like how you describe with the iPhone. It's a lot more stable overall than Windows and more efficient with its specs. Where Windows computers are more useful is in terms of their much broader enterprise software and gaming. Though I use Mac OS for personal computing, I have a Windows 7 partition installed for work related software that isn't available on the Mac.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
OP, I'm curious if you are still having trouble with the switch? I'm having the debate myself. I've been an android user for years, but I'm due for an upgrade and thinking about switching over to the iPhone. I've never loved android and my sister thinks I will like Apple better. I just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones