Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Uh, no you can't. And the reason I know is because I have tried multiple times now in various places on the phone. In text messages, typing in internet, Facebook, etc. I wouldn't say I can't do something if I haven't tried it.
Try harder. I do it all the time. That you don't know how to do something and can't be bothered to learn does not mean it can't be done. It's absolutely trivial. I can't even fathom how you're unable to figure it out on your own.

Quote:
Like I said, I really want to like this iPhone, so I am trying to find redeeming factors, but it's making it difficult. I just want to know what everyone sees in it. Interestingly enough I have not gotten one answer here of someone talking about all the wonderful features of the iPhone over the Android. You mention better performance but don't give specifics. You say higher quality apps, but again don't give specifics or examples.
Features over Android? No, they pretty much have the same features.

Performance? Use it and see for yourself. If I put my iPhone next to my Android phone and launch the text messaging app at the same time, the iPhone has popped up and is ready to go faster than the Android, for example. And that's when the Android phone is working properly (which isn't terribly often).

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I am also afraid of running out of memory. With the Android, you can insert an SD card and add space. Can't do that with iPhone. The only special was on the 8GB so with limited room, that's a concern. And the apps on there that I don't want not being removable is a problem.
8GB is painfully small.

Quote:
The only thing (so far anyway) that is keeping me with the iPhone is the size. I do like it smaller than the Galaxies, as they are pretty big and clunky and noticeable. But there has to be something else.
Go get a smaller Android.

You're clearly more familiar with Android and have no desire to learn iOS. You've had your iPhone for a couple days and clearly hate everything about it except the size, so why not just return it and stick with what you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Here's my experience and why I ask:

I just got an iPhone for the first time yesterday. The iPhone 5c to be specific. Ever since I had a smartphone, I had an Android based device. The most recent was the Samsung Galaxy S II. A bit old to today's standards, I know, but I've had it for almost two years and liked it. Probably would have kept it a little longer if it wasn't having problems. Time to upgrade and iPhone was having a sale. The Galaxy S 5 was too and I was debating, but I decided to jump on the iPhone bandwagon for a variety of reasons such as starting a new job where everyone had an iPhone, some family members had it including one who lived long distance and can do facetime, was tired of having problems with Androids I've had including battery problems, and for sheer curiousness to see if it was as great as everyone claims it is.

So far though, I am not impressed.

It seems archaic to me, even compared to my old Galaxy. It doesn't have half of the apps the Galaxies come with, some of the apps and features that were free on Android aren't free on iPhone, and even typing and going back to something takes more time. If I'm typing and forget to make something capitalized, I can't simply click on that one letter and erase it to fix like on Android. I have to erase the whole word and type it again. To go back to the last thing I was at, I can't hit a back button on the bottom of device where my thumb already is, I have to touch it at the top of screen to the left, so it's without the ease of doing it one-handed. While I like that the iPhone is not as big as the Galaxies and therefore fits better in the hand, I have gotten used to that bigger size so it wasn't a big deal. The iPhone might be smaller, but again, it's hard to do functions one-handed so it doesn't make much difference anyway. I also had to download the Gmail app because the email one they already have pales in comparison. That takes up more room on my device then.

One other thing that I was always seeing being said was that Android was for people with less money. Obviously, no one wants to announce they have less money, especially if they are around many people who have an iPhone. But is that really true? Many devices, including that Galaxy S 5, retail for hundreds of dollars. How is that having less money? Am I missing something? For the record, I don't have a ton of money right now like many people with an iPhone do, but my point is is that Androids don't seem to make much difference in that department.

I just am not sure if I should stick with the iPhone. What else am I missing that makes it so great over Android, specifically the newer models? Have the people that think it's great never used a current Android device, so they can't compare it to something else? Has anyone on here went back to an Android because they didn't like the iPhone?

Sell me on it. Try to convince me of how better it is. Because while I do have time to change my mind and switch it out for something else, I don't know if the sale on that Galaxy is still going on and I bought a pricey case for it which I'm not sure if I can return.

Basically, convince me that what I have is what I should have. Or is it?
Some like BMWs and other Mercedes too. Just as my wife is opposite of OP. Pick what you personally like; plain and simple. Ops post seems more trying to sell his/her opinion than anything else; really.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,840,555 times
I helped my friend with his Note 4 (or is it 5, the newest one). I liked it. I didn't see much on it that can't be done on my iPhone 5C. Methinks you just don't like Apple. There's no law that says you have to like it. Take it back and get the phone you want. We won't care.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
And so the religious war continues.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 PM

735 posts, read 655,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And so the religious war continues.
Yes it does, and the Android extremist has just arrived.

To answer your question OP, yes, they pretty much are. Apple has worked long and hard over the years to create this sort of exclusivity image where everyone that doesn't own an iPhone is "out of the loop". However, this mentality has blinded people from the leaps and bounds Android devices have achieved. People tend to think that Android devices are cheap and laggy, when the opposite is actually the case; Android phones as a whole have shown more innovation and change over the last few years than iPhones have shown in a long time. Just look at the near-bezelless, quad HD LG G3, the Moto X with always-on voice recognition, or the 3gb of ram on the newest devices. In comparison, iPhones just got regular HD displays with the 6, they only have 1gb of ram, and the bezels are still bigger than Peyton Manning's forehead. Unfortunately, people will continue to ignore these advancements as long as iPhones are "hip" and "cool".

OP, you are lucky to be able to see phones from an objective point of view without jumping on the Apple hype train for the sake of it being popular. I'd use your knowledge to make the right choice and return your iPhone.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,730,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Try harder. I do it all the time. That you don't know how to do something and can't be bothered to learn does not mean it can't be done. It's absolutely trivial. I can't even fathom how you're unable to figure it out on your own.
You really aren't going to tell him, are you?

OP: press and hold on a word. A little magnifying glass comes up. This allows you to choose a letter to fix.

And no... no one is being duped. I don't even understand your comment "all celebrities have iPhones...". Seriously? How many celebs do you know? RIdiculous statement.
I'm thinking maybe you were duped...
iPhones are for "people with money"?!?!? What?? I have no idea what commercials you are seeing but I think YOUR view of iPhone is a bit skewed.

I didn't even know they still SOLD an 8GB iPhone... wow. You should not have bought that... hell I wouldn't take that for free... which I am guessing is what you "paid" for yours?

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-01-2014 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post

OP, you are lucky to be able to see phones from an objective point of view without jumping on the Apple hype train for the sake of it being popular. I'd use your knowledge to make the right choice and return your iPhone.
I didn't see any objectivity in his post. If Android phones are what he likes, fine. There's no need to bad mouth the competition.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,432,101 times
Posers have been loving Apple's overpriced products for years. *shrugs*

Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,062,588 times
I think that society has been duped into believing that you have to have a phone in your hand all the time. You don't, you really are not that important or missed by someone. Believe it or not, you can actually go through a whole day without having to call somebody, really, try it once you'll be amazed !

Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I think that society has been duped into believing that you have to have a phone in your hand all the time. You don't, you really are not that important or missed by someone. Believe it or not, you can actually go through a whole day without having to call somebody, really, try it once you'll be amazed !
Since I've had a smart phone (5-6 years) I rarely actually call anyone on it. Mostly it's for texting, checking e-mail, news alerts, and internet when away from home or the office.

My wife has an I-Phone, I have an Android. I think the I-Phone probably is the best, but is overpriced considering the limited advantages over the Androids which cost several hundred less. The other problem with the I-Phone is that Apple keeps improving them and owners tend to rush to upgrade, which just keeps Apple profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones