Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 06:45 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times

Advertisements

I do not have a landline but on my cell you can block the numbers. It is to the point anymore that if I get a call from an unknown number, I will not even bother taking the call. If it is important enough, they will leave a voicemail. If they do not leave a voicemail, then it is just a random call to me and I will not block the number because I am not sure it will be a recurring issue; blocking one-offs would not be prudent. However, if a spammer makes the mistake of leaving a voicemail, then I know for sure I should block their number.

For a while I kept getting a call from a used car salesman at my dealer wanting to buy my car, and what seemed different about this was the sheer desperation in his voice when he would leave a voicemail: "I need your car." He called for months; this was just before I started my number-blocking strategy, but I finally blocked his number.

These days, if a person is not already in my contacts list where it shows their name on my phone, I will not take the call, period. As I stated above, if it is an important matter from a non-contact, they will leave a voicemail.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:46 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
^ I do the same. If the call is important enough, the caller will call back and/or leave a message.

Old 11-21-2021, 04:54 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
That's because the "Do Not Call" list only applies to legitimate U.S.-based businesses... which most of these scammers are not.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:29 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
I must say that Google seems to do a pretty great job of filtering spam calls. I have Google Voice for my home VOIP line, and get almost no spam calls. If one does make it through, I can go online and report it as spam. For my cellphone, I have a Google Pixel with the Google Phone app. This app can filter the spam calls, and also has call screening to screen first-time callers. I see this app is available for other phones in the Google Play Store.

Before this call screen function was rolled out, I had set up "Do Not Disturb" to allow only people in my Contacts to ring through, with all others going to voicemail. This also worked very well to stop the spammers.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:18 AM

554 posts, read 1,067,764 times
This past week has been horrible, I have gotten 16 spam calls.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:27 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
On landline telephones one can at least screen the calls, which my wife and I do, but every now and then I pick the headset unaware that it's a robocall and answer the darn thing. What we are doing now is to not answer any calls until the the phone shows who's calling. We already figured that scammers don't leave a message on the voicemail. On the cellphone I just answer phones on my contact list, and block all others. Not much we can do I guess.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:18 PM

166 posts, read 96,483 times
I've had success in dramatically reducing spam calls by removing my phone # from internet. A tedious process which you can pay companies to do. I approach it 1x1 opting out of the major data brokers. In addition to removing your #, you're also removing data mining info used for other purposes including your relatives, map to your house, etc. So, while the phone spammers used automated dialers, some do purchase this data or simply cull from internet.

Most of the opt-out info is hidden deep and it's best to use a guide (see link below) or do a search for example: whitepages.com + opt out. Use 1 email account for this purpose and keep copy of your email. Sometimes their email link is simply titled so I forward it back to my account with a title of company name and date opted out so it's an easier record to track. And you have to carefully consider what info they ask for to even opt out but figure much of it they've posted on-line anyway. I do this with direct mail too and have cleared out the mailbox; usually via phone call or on-line form.

You must re-check every few months because new data brokers like gnats keep appearing. This thread prompted me to check again also just realizing that an address change caused a bunch of them to track me so once again opting out of more gnats. The hoops they make you jump through are designed to confuse.

This guide has biggest offenders but still worth a search with company name + opt out because links change. Some search engines have more listings for your # than others.

Data Removal Guide
https://inteltechniques.com/workbook.html

Last edited by Brightsider; 12-07-2021 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 01:14 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Our landline has a special ringing tone for family and friends, and businesses and offices we deal with such as doctors etc
The others' ring 3 times and get silenced by NoMoRobo. You have to register with them.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:19 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
On my home phone I've been getting two calls over and over.

One warning me that my car warranty is about to expire and did I know about the high cost of car repairs?

The other is a man asking, "Is the lady of the house in?" Not even asking for me by name.

I just let the answering machine take the calls and then delete. I'm afraid to acknowledge them in any way, even saying Please don't call or I'm not interested, because then they'll know they have a 'live number.'

Old 12-19-2021, 09:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
I like to say ”That's interesting, please tell me more about it” and then put the phone down quietly for a few minutes. That isn't very satisfying with the fake police and fire support groups though, because they seem to be 100% robotic.

One thing they're trying now is asking for someone by name. I think what they do when you say there's nobody with that name there is to go into ”Well, maybe I can talk to you about...” With them I act as if the person they want is in the next room, and I say ”Wait, I'll get him” and again, put the phone down and see how long they hang on. I like to believe that they can only make so many calls before dying of shame and boredom, and I can hasten that process by wasting their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones