Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:59 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Even with strict guidelines/laws/regulations in the US, many of these spammers operate overseas and/or hide or fake their phone #. Not as easy to solve as you might think.
Are you saying that the technology of spam phone calls are too much for the government of the USA to handle?

Then the phone companies involved should address the problem.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Are you saying that the technology of spam phone calls are too much for the government of the USA to handle?

Then the phone companies involved should address the problem.
I am saying that it is beyond their control, especially if they are originating from overseas. The spammers constantly evolve to overcome efforts to block them. You are oversimplifying the issue.

At some point, if the government or the telephone companies started to prevent calls then they would be accused of censoring the rights of some individuals. It is a double edged sword.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Those calls listed in the original post are actually examples of vishing, which is a particularly dangerous form of spam.

https://www.cnet.com/news/protecting...shing-attacks/

They probably originate from outside the country, so they are not regulated.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
The worst are the recent ones where you hear a cheerful recording that sounds live:

"Good afternoon, I'm Jerome! How are you today?"
I understand that those are robo-dialers, where computers dial huge lists of phone numbers.
Since they don't want to leave a recorded message, they are designed to listen and detect actual human voices rather than a recorded greeting. So they say something to get you to speak.
Then they switch to the Boiler Room telemarketers or such.

For a Cell: the best defense is to Screen ALL your calls. Don't answer ANY numbers that aren't in your contacts and show up with a Caller ID. If it's someone who actually knows you, they'll leave a message, you are alerted and call back. Time wasted about 5 minutes.

For landlines: Pick up the phone and stay quiet. When you hear a human, (saying, "hello???"), then you can start talking.
And the very second you realize it's a telemarketer, interrupt and say, "I'm sorry, I don't respond to any telephone solicitation, please remove my number from your lists." and hang up.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I got rid of my landline a year ago. Basically, I was paying $30 per month for Century Link to publish my phone number, and the nuisance calls were relentless. I got a Magic Jack for use as my home phone. $30 for a year of service, and not a single nuisance call. Of course this won't work if the power is out, or your internet is down.

I don't get many nuisance calls on my cell, and I just don't answer if it's an unfamiliar number.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

And the very second you realize it's a telemarketer, interrupt and say, "I'm sorry, I don't respond to any telephone solicitation, please remove my number from your lists." and hang up.
Very important to do this. If you don't specifically ask each and every one to remove you, they can legally call again. If you ask and they call you back, they're legally liable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I got rid of my landline a year ago. Basically, I was paying $30 per month for Century Link to publish my phone number, and the nuisance calls were relentless. I got a Magic Jack for use as my home phone. $30 for a year of service, and not a single nuisance call. Of course this won't work if the power is out, or your internet is down.
I cannot say enough good things about magicjack. To get around the power outage issues, we have our modem on an uninterruptible power supply. Gives us about an hour of voip service during a power loss.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
^^^ Good idea, the ups. I should get one of those.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
We also have a ups on our dvr cable box. That way if there's a hiccup power glitch we don't have to sit thru a 5 minute reboot or worry about clobbered recordings.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
It sucks. Spam calls to my cell quite a bit and it's so hard to tell if it's a legitimate call or not. I never answer the phone at home (I let it go to voicemail) unless I know exactly who it is AND I want to talk to them.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Very important to do this. If you don't specifically ask each and every one to remove you, they can legally call again. If you ask and they call you back, they're legally liable.
This advice made sense 10 years ago, but doesn't really apply in today's environment. If the calls originate from outside the country, like most vishing calls do, there is no way to enforce the penalties in that law. The international callers are spoofing the caller ID data of a domestic number. I've had vishing calls that spoofed my own number as the caller ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones