Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:53 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times

Advertisements

I went onto the T Mobile site, and it is very confusing. I'm wanting to have service both in the US and Canada, checked the coverage map and the service is there, but they don't specifically say that you get it on this particular plan. They say you have to have a qualifying plan to get it. What does that mean? I can't seem to find out, and can't seem to find out whether this Senior's plan is a qualifying one.

Wanted to check phone prices, too, but the site is all over the place. I think they really want you to go in and get "point of sale" coercion - not that I would mind if it's what I want. But it would be nice to get all these answers online so you would know exactly what you're likely to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:03 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I went onto the T Mobile site, and it is very confusing. I'm wanting to have service both in the US and Canada, checked the coverage map and the service is there, but they don't specifically say that you get it on this particular plan. They say you have to have a qualifying plan to get it. What does that mean? I can't seem to find out, and can't seem to find out whether this Senior's plan is a qualifying one.

Wanted to check phone prices, too, but the site is all over the place. I think they really want you to go in and get "point of sale" coercion - not that I would mind if it's what I want. But it would be nice to get all these answers online so you would know exactly what you're likely to get.
Their phone prices are way too high. I usually buy a model that is 2 years old from Ebay for a few hundred dollars, it's pretty easy to find brand new phone or unused returns. You might try calling them to get the answer to your question about Canada, I just don't have a clue with that one.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:11 PM

This is a stupid question but I'm not very "phone savvy." Would this phone I bought from eBay have to be an "unlocked" phone (I don't even know what I'm asking but have a vague idea that they have to do something so you can slip the SIM in when you get the service.)

Old 11-05-2017, 02:24 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
This is a stupid question but I'm not very "phone savvy." Would this phone I bought from eBay have to be an "unlocked" phone (I don't even know what I'm asking but have a vague idea that they have to do something so you can slip the SIM in when you get the service.)
You can use any T-mobile phone on T-mobile as long as the ESN is clear. Then there are carrier unlocked phones, which mean you can buy a Verizon phone and use it on another carrier's plan, i.e AT&T, T-Mobile, that's what I did. The problem is that if you buy a Verizon or AT&T branded unlocked phone, like I did, and put it on T-Mobile you lose some of the T-Mobile features like wifi calling.

And yes, you need to get a T-Mobile SIM to use their service.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It's just me there isn't a wife, someone asked me that on a post. I actually use the internet quite a bit. I watch YouTube videos alot or Google this that the other. All I know is I do not want more bills, just for damn phone service. I think I'm going to just stay with my flipphone and the fast wifi in the house. At least for now.
If you are using one computer and you have Windows 10, there is a setting that tells you how many gigabytes you have used in the last 30 days.

If you are using 50 Gigs of data on your computer, then you need your WiFi. If you are using 8 Gigs or less than you can get an Unlimited plan from some company (example below) and use Hotspot to run your laptop computer.

Quote:
Boost Mobile has a plan for $50/mo. Unlimited Gigs Plan Now Includes Taxes & Fees
Unlimited Data, Talk & Text Mobile-optimized Streaming Videos, Gaming & Music.† Unlimited 4G LTE for most everything else.
This Plan includes mobile-optimized streaming videos, games, music†& 8 Gigs Mobile Hotspot, w/ Unlimited 4G LTE for most everything else. Up your streaming experience. Add HD to your monthly plan for just $10/mo. and watch, listen and play in unlimited HD*.
I don't know what you pay for internet. We have no data caps, but we pay for speed
  • $20 20 Mbps
  • $30 25 Mbps
  • $40 50 Mbps
  • $50 155 Mbps
  • $55 330 Mbps
  • $60 1000 Mbps

So if you are paying $30 for basic phone services, it probably isn't worth it to switch to an all in one cellular package and use hotspot data.

But just keep an eye on prices.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
If you are using one computer and you have Windows 10, there is a setting that tells you how many gigabytes you have used in the last 30 days.

If you are using 50 Gigs of data on your computer, then you need your WiFi. If you are using 8 Gigs or less than you can get an Unlimited plan from some company (example below) and use Hotspot to run your laptop computer.

I don't know what you pay for internet. We have no data caps, but we pay for speed
  • $20 20 Mbps
  • $30 25 Mbps
  • $40 50 Mbps
  • $50 155 Mbps
  • $55 330 Mbps
  • $60 1000 Mbps

So if you are paying $30 for basic phone services, it probably isn't worth it to switch to an all in one cellular package and use hotspot data.

But just keep an eye on prices.
I pay $50 for wifi, and it's been great no problems. I believe the company Spectrum wants to raise it to $65 a month. So right now my Verizon phone service, and my spectrum internet bill total is $81.20 a month. I don't need to carry the internet around with me all day on a smartphone. So it looks like in my case. I probably don't need to change things. At least right now anyways. When spectrum raises my internet bill, then at that time. I think I'll have to change over to a smartphone plan.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I pay $50 for wifi, and it's been great no problems. I believe the company Spectrum wants to raise it to $65 a month. So right now my Verizon phone service, and my spectrum internet bill total is $81.20 a month. I don't need to carry the internet around with me all day on a smartphone. So it looks like in my case. I probably don't need to change things. At least right now anyways. When spectrum raises my internet bill, then at that time. I think I'll have to change over to a smartphone plan.
So you are not paying for television.

At $81.20 you won't save much by going to an unlimited data smartphone plan. But if you were paying for $100 for cable television as well, sometimes you can get a smartphone plan with television or at least Netflix, and Cast it onto your television at home so you don't have to watch a little screen. Then you can save serious money.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:24 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
So you are not paying for television.

At $81.20 you won't save much by going to an unlimited data smartphone plan. But if you were paying for $100 for cable television as well, sometimes you can get a smartphone plan with television or at least Netflix, and Cast it onto your television at home so you don't have to watch a little screen. Then you can save serious money.
I dont have cable TV. I just have an HD antenna, and it gives m enough channels. Your right I wouldn't save by changing over to a smartphone plan.. Not right now anyway.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Quality of Service limit is 32 GB.
realize this is an older post but it's now up to 50GB.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM

One poster talked about not getting the full range of good things from this plan, on any phone but a T-Mobile one (sorry I can't remember which one you were) and I'm wondering what that means. Would I need to buy one of their (very expensive) phones or just what kind of phone could I look for on eBay? Maybe someone could babysit me, just for an example, and look on eBay and give me an example of something that would do for less than $100, if there is such a thing. Then I'd know what kind of phone to look for.

Thanks so much everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones