Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 12:52 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Verizon Wireless. Unlimited talk/text, 2GB of data on phone and iPad. $78/month. Way cheaper than their other plans. No other cell phone provider around here and coverage sucks, only 4G/LTE available, and to actually make a phone call from home, I have to use my landline or my internet for WiFi calling on my cellphone. Plan does not include any streaming services or monthly payments on any hardware.
You have got to be kidding? This plan sucks. You only have...2GB of data? For $78?
You could go with a PREPAID plan with 15GB per month for both devices for $45.
$45 for the plan -$10 discount for doing auto pay + $10 to add you iPad to the plan = $45.
UNLIMITED data is less then you are paying...
Who is telling you $78 is a GOOD price?
Unless for some reason you don't get access to the nationwide deals posted on Verizon's website...
https://www.verizon.com/plans/prepaid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 10:50 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You have got to be kidding? This plan sucks. You only have...2GB of data? For $78?
You could go with a PREPAID plan with 15GB per month for both devices for $45.
$45 for the plan -$10 discount for doing auto pay + $10 to add you iPad to the plan = $45.
UNLIMITED data is less then you are paying...
Who is telling you $78 is a GOOD price?
Unless for some reason you don't get access to the nationwide deals posted on Verizon's website...
https://www.verizon.com/plans/prepaid/

The plan sucks. The 2GB of data is part of a grandfathered plan...now I can only pay for 50 GB of network data which costs more and which I can't actually use because cell coverage here is pitiful, plus pay for a 5G plan which I also can't use, plus a package with streaming services I don't have coverage for, plus pay additionally for auto-pay, surcharges, and taxes, which all costs >$100/month. I don't use the cell phone very much if I'm not at home because the cell service is so bad anyway, and talk/text isn't charged.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:54 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Ohhh. Gotcha. Wow. Where are you?

Old 02-21-2023, 09:09 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
The plan sucks. The 2GB of data is part of a grandfathered plan...now I can only pay for 50 GB of network data which costs more and which I can't actually use because cell coverage here is pitiful, plus pay for a 5G plan which I also can't use, plus a package with streaming services I don't have coverage for, plus pay additionally for auto-pay, surcharges, and taxes, which all costs >$100/month. I don't use the cell phone very much if I'm not at home because the cell service is so bad anyway, and talk/text isn't charged.
Ever considered using a cell phone booster? The good ones are pricey but it may improve your service to a usable level.

It's basically an antenna that sits outdoors , receives the cell phone signal and amplifies it for your house and a small surrounding area.

https://www.amazon.com/HiBoost-Smart...dp/B07GRBV1XZ/

Disclaimer: I've never used these but it does have good reviews. Amazon has a great return policy by the way.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:11 AM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ohhh. Gotcha. Wow. Where are you?

Northern New England. Unfavorable topography and lousy tower coverage. I doubt an amplifier is going to help with the hills and woods. I can't get satellite dish TV either.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:20 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Just went through this whole thing with Verzon and Comcast.

The bottom line is that it is about $75.00 a month including all the extraneous fees for unlimited talk and text, and six GB of data.

The VZ person went through all of the "specials" that all of the firms offer and there is ALWAYS a "catch" Four lines, not enough Data, long contract, etc.

Her brother went with one of the plans and didn't pay attention to the data part of it and his bill skyrocketed. There is always something which makes the bill about "average" or higher if you go with a "special" gimmick.

Buyer beware. If you want "full service" you pay about average....$75.00 per month or so. There is no free lunch. And these cell providers are very clever at extracting a pound of flesh no matter which provider and which plan you choose.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:06 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Just went through this whole thing with Verzon and Comcast.

The bottom line is that it is about $75.00 a month including all the extraneous fees for unlimited talk and text, and six GB of data.

The VZ person went through all of the "specials" that all of the firms offer and there is ALWAYS a "catch" Four lines, not enough Data, long contract, etc.

Her brother went with one of the plans and didn't pay attention to the data part of it and his bill skyrocketed. There is always something which makes the bill about "average" or higher if you go with a "special" gimmick.

Buyer beware. If you want "full service" you pay about average....$75.00 per month or so. There is no free lunch. And these cell providers are very clever at extracting a pound of flesh no matter which provider and which plan you choose.
I have Tello (a T-mobile MVNO).

My phone plan = unlimited text/unlimited talk (to about 60 countries)/and zero data…for $8.00 per month.

If I upgraded to their top phone plan…..the talk and text would be the same as I have now, and the data would be 25 GB a month of high speed data (4G LTE or 5G) for $29 per month instead of $8 per month.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:47 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
I don't need much data, so I am currently on an unlimited talk/text 1G data / month plan for $109/year incl taxes ($9.08/mo). Red Pocket

Old 02-23-2023, 02:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Northern New England. Unfavorable topography and lousy tower coverage. I doubt an amplifier is going to help with the hills and woods. I can't get satellite dish TV either.
I wouldn't have mentioned the booster unless I read some of the reviews and it looked like it would work.

I did read about multiple people stating they went from 0/1 bars to 3/4 bars.

As for satellite, I have installed dishes for both Dish and DirectTV in years past and you need a clear view of the southwest skies at least, You can't move mountains or hills but trees can be pruned to accommodate.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:51 AM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I wouldn't have mentioned the booster unless I read some of the reviews and it looked like it would work.

I did read about multiple people stating they went from 0/1 bars to 3/4 bars.

As for satellite, I have installed dishes for both Dish and DirectTV in years past and you need a clear view of the southwest skies at least, You can't move mountains or hills but trees can be pruned to accommodate.
Several acres of forest, half of which I don't own, would require a logging crew, not a little pruning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones