Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 10:04 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times

Advertisements

$20 a month on a tracfone plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 05:32 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Verizon is now trying to coerce its customers into their new 5G plans instead of their old ""Unlimited" plans. I can't see that their service changes at all, but every device now needs to have its own plan instead of being combined with multiple lines. If I agreed to this, my bill would increase by more than double.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/06/tech/...ase/index.html

Old 03-08-2023, 07:52 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I don't believe how people are paying $15-20/month total. Here, Verizon is $25-35/month for "access" for each device, plus a data fee, plus surcharges and taxes, plus more for any add-ons like call blocking or streaming services. It adds up to $100 pretty quickly. It's the only mobile company with any decent reception and that's not very good...usually 0-1 bar.
Pagepluscellular is owned by Verizon and operates on Verizon's network.

For very light users of cell talk and text (~100 minutes per month) they have the cheapest plan in the country. For $80 you get a pass for a whole year and they charge you 6 cents a minute or 5 cents a text. This is a particularly good plan for older people who hate cell phones, but need them for emergencies and quick responses like "stuck in traffic, I'll be 15 minutes late".

For slightly heavier users of cell talk and text (<500 minutes per month & <500 texts per month) they have a $10 + taxes and 911 fees per month if you use AutoRefill. For that you get 500 minutes, 500 texts and 100 MB 4G LTE data which is probably enough to operate Google Map occasionally. Google Maps uses around 3MB of data per five minutes of use.

For unlimited cell talk and text ($27+taxes with Auto Refill) you also get the first 3 GB Data up to 4G LTE.

Old 03-10-2023, 12:40 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Pagepluscellular is owned by Verizon and operates on Verizon's network.

For very light users of cell talk and text (~100 minutes per month) they have the cheapest plan in the country. For $80 you get a pass for a whole year and they charge you 6 cents a minute or 5 cents a text. This is a particularly good plan for older people who hate cell phones, but need them for emergencies and quick responses like "stuck in traffic, I'll be 15 minutes late".

For slightly heavier users of cell talk and text (<500 minutes per month & <500 texts per month) they have a $10 + taxes and 911 fees per month if you use AutoRefill. For that you get 500 minutes, 500 texts and 100 MB 4G LTE data which is probably enough to operate Google Map occasionally. Google Maps uses around 3MB of data per five minutes of use.

For unlimited cell talk and text ($27+taxes with Auto Refill) you also get the first 3 GB Data up to 4G LTE.

Compared to that second one (500 minutes/500 texts and 100mb of 4G LTE), Tello (a T-Mobile MVNO) has a better deal....Unlimited talk (to about 60 countries)/Unlimited texts/and 500mb of 4G LTE for $9 rather than $10.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:05 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
In Germany I pay 10 Euro / month ($10.50 usd) for Vodafone's prepaid plan of unlimited talk and text throughout EU plus 3 gig / month of data. I never come close to using up the data, so it works fine for me. Vodafone is the second largest network in Germany, not a reseller, and their cellular data service is rated the best / fastest.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
My wife and I used to have Truphone, the best deal anywhere, for people who don't make many calls. It was 6 cents a minute for outgoing calls, zero for incoming calls, and no taxes or fees. But they shut down that end of the business, and we switched to Tello, which is $10 a month for unlimited talk and 1GB of data. It's worked very well for us. (Not that I own stock in it, you understand...)

Old 03-15-2023, 06:41 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have ATT with 3G of data per month. Everything else is just the default. One line. About $85 per month. Are others cheaper?
Thread started Nov 2022. Have we answered your question?

Old 03-15-2023, 07:13 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
My wife and I used to have Truphone, the best deal anywhere, for people who don't make many calls. It was 6 cents a minute for outgoing calls, zero for incoming calls, and no taxes or fees. But they shut down that end of the business, and we switched to Tello, which is $10 a month for unlimited talk and 1GB of data. It's worked very well for us. (Not that I own stock in it, you understand...)

Unlimited text is also included (I have two Tello lines...same as yours except $2 less each ($8 each) re choosing zero data instead of 1GB of data).

Old 03-19-2023, 02:01 PM

166 posts, read 96,214 times
Nice to have an updated list though there are so many companies & plans available with choices suited to individual needs. With ever evolving mergers & acquisitions, I'm going to have to keep up as now on the edge of what happens next. Have been an early subscriber to upstart Republic Wireless and would have recommended taking a look at their plans. However with last year's sell out to Dish it's quite obvious Dish is attempting a shutdown/switch to it's other brands. There were immediate problems and fleeing of existing customers. Dish still offers Republic brand but closed to Dish customers only. They deleted least expensive plan and shut down the tech forum with no notice. It was also somewhat of a social forum as Republic had a unique following. I needed new phone, got good deal to stay with them, grandfathered in at $14.99 all inclusive/month. Not a Dish customer either so expect when a new phone is needed, this deal will end.

So be aware with some of the smaller start-ups, who can blame them for eventually selling out for the $$ plus bigger companies always reducing competition. On wireless mostly with low data needs. Have been on set it/forget it for over a decade so now have to look as I expect the only hangers-on with Republic are those grandfathered in. Clearly offering to Dish only customers was first move.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:58 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
$43 with 5gb. One line. Part of that is for the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones