Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 19,944 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 27 y/o single girl from north of Boston looking to relocate in the next couple of months. I want the Carolinas definitely, just trying to decide between Charlotte and Charleston. I've been to Raleigh, love it there, but looking elsewhere. Am heading to Charlotte in a few weeks to check it out, and Charleston soon after. Any opinions on which is better, NC or SC? I'm not looking for someplace where no one goes out. I'm looking forward to meeting all types of people, but of course would prefer to go where there are many in my age bracket. Love going out to different places on the nights/weekends, love sports, love the beach (so I know Charleston is better for that). Currently I work in healthcare and would love to stay in that. As of right now, I don't have to worry about that part - just want to find a place with young people who like to go out and have a good time. Any opinions you can give - nightlife, economy, weather, how expensive things are... Anything at all, throw them at me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Well, I live in Charlotte but Charleston is where we want to be and will be in the next few years.

If I were in your shoes and were choosing between the two, then hands down Charleston would win.
The kind people, culture, historical aspect of Charleston, the beaches just the overall vibe of Charleston we prefer. But most importantly, the crime is lower there and we feel as though the cost of living may be a tad bit less.

I have lived in Charlotte my whole life and it has turned into an area with high crime rates, rude people and a city that is in crumbles because all we have here are banks and we know how well
that is going. Yes, the economy is tough in both Carolinas but I do believe that Charlotte is much worse.

Good luck with whatever city you choose!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
Come to Charleston, you'll love it!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
We were moving to Charlotte last March to be near my grandchild, but a job came up for me in Charleston and I haven't looked back. We love it here. I think Charlotte just doesn't compare to Charleston in regards to things to do, culture, cuisine, the beaches, beautiful neighborhoods. It is the most wonderful place to live, and for all ages. Make sure you have a job first as the economy is tough everywhere.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
The only nod I'd give to Charlotte is the sports! ... If your talking about "PRO" that is. We have nothing, noda, zip! Charlotte and Atlanta are the closest drives to see the Pro's. We do have minor league hockey and baseball. Its OK (at best) cheap entertainment.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
The only nod I'd give to Charlotte is the sports!
I would add Carowinds amusement park to that, but agree with the masses that I'd prefer Charleston.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
I have lived outside Charlotte and now Charleston...we had the choice to go back to Charlotte and chose Charleston instead.

A couple of advantages to Charlotte--Charlotte's uptown is really neat, I think, like in an updated urban way, and South Park mall has exceptional (as in expensive!) shopping. There is also the big outlet mall in Concord. Also, you have touring Broadway shows that go to the Belk Theater and some bigger name concerts that come to Charlotte. I am not sure if they go to Charleston or not. (someone please fill me in).

Other than the shopping and theater though, I think Charleston is way better than Charlotte because:
1) traffic is worse in Charlotte
2) Charleston is more charming than Charlotte, more history, etc.
3) the beaches in Charleston
4) it is every bit as hot in Charlotte as in Charleston
5) in my experience, Charlotte can be a little snooty (see separate threads on this....this is not just my opinion)
6) Charleston is more of a destination place....it is a unique American city, and no matter where else you live in the country, there will never be another place like Charleston. A lot of American cities are interchangeable, really. I like living in a distinctive place.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 PM

313 posts, read 709,263 times
I have now lived in both. If you want to spend time in the water, I would suggest Charlotte for Lake Norman. Swimming in a Lake with little threat of snakes and alligators is a big plus for myself. If its more about being on the beach than Charleston would get the nod.

Traffic is bad in both places. The weather in winter, spring, and fall is probably going to be a tad bit nicer in Charleston. Restaurant choices, I would give Charleston the big nod. Bars to hang out at, I would give Charlotte the slight nod.

Charlotte is a generic sterile type city and Charlestion is a character type city.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM

313 posts, read 709,263 times
Sorry, one more aspect to consider is day trip location.

Charleston you have Savannah (awesome city to visit) and Myrtle Beach (overrated). Charlotte you have Asheville and maybe the Smokey Mountains. Being from Boston there is a chance you ski/snowboard. There are some ok mountains within an hour and half drive from Charlotte.... not Vermont like, but still they are decent enough for a day trip to scratch the itch, there are a couple that are close to 1000 vertical drop mountains.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
ISwimming in a Lake with little threat of snakes and alligators is a big plus for myself.
Yes, but unless you have a boat to access the water, there is only one approved place (public beach) to swim in Lake Norman, and that is in Iredell County.

Lake Norman is really not the same as Charlotte metro, just so the OP is aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area