Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Been through (not in this order)

Bob - Bertha (2x) - Bonnie - Charlie - Gloria - Gabrielle - Gustav - Gordon

Don't think I got them all?

I will tie myself to a pier again for a Cat 1,2 or 3. A 4 I would throw a Hurricane Party. A 5 I would anchor myself to my home and hope it was still standing.

I AM NOT LEAVING! I love & chase these things!

Still hoping Earl turns West....Crossing fingers Fiona makes her move this way
Wanting for possible death & destruction...how foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 PM

478 posts, read 1,657,978 times
Default Is Summerville usually protected from Hurricanes

I've been told that Summerville is so far inland - flooding should not be an issue - hopefully this is true? I'm now here ALONE, and am clueless what to do if a hurricane hit. From what I understand the last big hurricane was Hugo - and it was pretty devastating. Some people speculate that Charleston is overdue for the next big hurricane - I just pray we're out of here before it hits.

Question: for homeowners closer to the ocean do you have special insurance for such damage, or is it pretty devastating financially for those with damage from the storm?

I don't think we bought any additional HO insurance when we bought in Summerville - but again we were advised that we were far enough inland.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,549 times
Flooding from a hurricane can come not only from the actual storm surge, but just from the sustained torrential rains. If you were required to get flood insurance, your mortgage folks and insurance people would have let you know. Hurricane damage also comes from high winds causing tree damage and roofs blowing off.

We live in Mt P, about 5 miles from beachfront. We weren't required to get flood/wind insurance, but it's really not that expensive, and we'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
I was in Key West when Hugo went by.

Whew.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
I've been told that Summerville is so far inland - flooding should not be an issue - hopefully this is true? I'm now here ALONE, and am clueless what to do if a hurricane hit. From what I understand the last big hurricane was Hugo - and it was pretty devastating. Some people speculate that Charleston is overdue for the next big hurricane - I just pray we're out of here before it hits.

Question: for homeowners closer to the ocean do you have special insurance for such damage, or is it pretty devastating financially for those with damage from the storm?

I don't think we bought any additional HO insurance when we bought in Summerville - but again we were advised that we were far enough inland.
MY cousin rode-out Hugo in Summerville (Quail Arbor XXVIII, or some place like that) with his family; I rode it out on Mt. Pleasant with an elderly aunt and uncle.

In some ways they had it worse, in others we did.

You gotta know how sturdy your house is, its (cause its is also yours) elevation above sea level, and what kind of storm you are facing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area