Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM

96 posts, read 168,717 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Mount Pleasant on Thurs (1/5)....VERY excited to be getting out of this COLD-29 degrees today!!!! Hubby hasn't gotten his start date yet but everything else has been completed. Now I just have to find myself a nursing job!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousInOhio View Post
Now, now... No need to get feisty, I was just curious as to why you are posting on this specific thread that was intended for people to talk about applying for a job with Boeing, not about their stocks. And I'm happy for you that others hard labor brings you success. But my husband and I will be proud to tell others that's he is part of this new program, whether you think it's cheap labor our not, it's well worth it to us.

You will love Charleston and good luck!
And please know that most people down in the south aren't pompass and do not boast and be-little others to brag of their gains off of other's hard labor.

Hope your move goes smooth!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:19 AM

38 posts, read 66,286 times
Thank you! I hope you hear something soon, that's horrible that you are still waiting.

He got an assembler B position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogers68 View Post
I'm very happy for you and your husband for moving to SC and landing the job. We are still waiting to hear from Boeing. I hope soon or sometime this year. What job did your husband get?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Thank you! I've only heard wonderful things about the area so I'm looking forward to calling Charleston my home!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
And please know that most people down in the south aren't pompass and do not boast and be-little others to brag of their gains off of other's hard labor.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Thanks! We got in at midnight. Hubby is dying to drive past Boeing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGator View Post
Hope it all works out for you all.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM

21 posts, read 44,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousInOhio View Post
Yes, we found a place in Summerville to rent until our house sells.
Hi, I have been here In CHS with Boeing for a Year. This is some advice based on my and some others experience here. The cost of living is not as cheap as you might expect, do comparisons to where you are now. Do not buy a House until you are here for a while, it is probably not all you are expecting it to be... Boeing SC. is not comparable to Boeing's other Plants. They do not base compensation on "Cost of Living" but on "Cost of Labor". Do not assume you are going to move up on Raises, be prepared to stay at your starting pay for a while. I am not trying to disappoint anyone, but they know their name makes people think of how it is at their other Locations. It is not like that here, they consider it a "Low Cost Center"...

Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM

We all realize they came here for a reason, and we were willing to make the sacrifice, if necessary, to take this opportunity. However, things here see comparable to where we lived in Ohio. We did some research, and as long as it's accurate, we shouldn't see much of a change compared to back home. Thanks for the info though, I will pass it on to my hubby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 787FRTQT View Post
Hi, I have been here In CHS with Boeing for a Year. This is some advice based on my and some others experience here. The cost of living is not as cheap as you might expect, do comparisons to where you are now. Do not buy a House until you are here for a while, it is probably not all you are expecting it to be... Boeing SC. is not comparable to Boeing's other Plants. They do not base compensation on "Cost of Living" but on "Cost of Labor". Do not assume you are going to move up on Raises, be prepared to stay at your starting pay for a while. I am not trying to disappoint anyone, but they know their name makes people think of how it is at their other Locations. It is not like that here, they consider it a "Low Cost Center"...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 787FRTQT View Post
I wouldn't go to much on this. There is some truth, it isn't all sunshine and daisys.

I do agree Delivery Center is a big disapointment for alot of people. I am happy with it, but highly annoyed at times. At the same time, have we done any work yet? Have we worked any SOIs? But everyone should expect this, hell the leaps and bounds of how much more organized things have gotten is really amazing when I look back at my "journey" through the buildings at Boeing. People tend to forget the delivery center has been opened like 1.5 months, FAD, about 5.5 months.

There is a degree of patience with all of this.

As for FAD. I have seen well deserving people go from a backwards baseball hat to ironed pants, and an office on the 3rd floor, more then doubling their salary. I have seen people move from the floor to management positions. People move from worker to Lead. (About a $5k raise)

You know what you are getting into when you accept the offer or not. I just thinkg people feel they are worth more and expected to move up instantly.

On the other hand I have seen some good, hard worrking people that know their stuff, get kind of screwed over.

As for raises, the company spent probably the majority of your last year putting you in paid training, that does nothing but boost your resume, and you haven't even done what you were hired to do yet.

So far its been a great fit for me, I complain at times, but I learn to understand the system, then work the system, to fix the issues. Much much better then fighting it. I network, if the delivery center doesn't work out, I found more then one avenue in FAD that I could see being happy with, and been networking with them.

FWIW I came from FL, I spent most of my adult life in Orlando, life is cheaper here, I think its pretty comparable to the space coast areas thought.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

Chrome

I resent and resemble the remark about making money off others hard labor.

I also own stock in Procter and Gamble so I make money when you use Gillette, IAM's pet foods, Secret Deodorant, (that list goes on and on).

Does this mean I make money off others hard work? Damn right and I hope they do work hard and make us both (me and themselves) money. Make us all happy so we can all buy stock.

That said, it would be naive to ignore/not accept why Boeing chose SC.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 PM

I can tell you that my husband has a similar attitude/outlook, as you do, about this new program. He understand he proudly won't get his cake and be able to east it too, he understands there will be bumps along the way and will have to work through it. We are keeping our mind open about it, just happy he has this opportunity, for us it's not about the money, for him it's about pride and working with such a great company and being able to tell people he helped build the new 787's. That being said... My husband does have a friend already in the SC plant, ben there about 1.5 yrs, he moved up from the floor to management months ago, so it can happen, and my husband would be ecstatic if that happened with him, but he knows there are no guarantees, so he isn't going to be too upset if it doesn't happen for awhile... But I'd just like to say that Boeing forked over a nice chunk of money for our move, and as noted they are paying for training, and those two combined are enough of an incentive, in my opinion, to not get too upset about the starting pay. They offer way more than a pay check, and my husband and I understand we have to make some sacrifices along the way too. We aren't going into this blind, we are looking at every aspect and we well take what we get for now. Once things get up to full production, at a steady level, hopefully advancements/raises, will be much easier to achieve. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I wouldn't go to much on this. There is some truth, it isn't all sunshine and daisys.

I do agree Delivery Center is a big disapointment for alot of people. I am happy with it, but highly annoyed at times. At the same time, have we done any work yet? Have we worked any SOIs? But everyone should expect this, hell the leaps and bounds of how much more organized things have gotten is really amazing when I look back at my "journey" through the buildings at Boeing. People tend to forget the delivery center has been opened like 1.5 months, FAD, about 5.5 months.

There is a degree of patience with all of this.

As for FAD. I have seen well deserving people go from a backwards baseball hat to ironed pants, and an office on the 3rd floor, more then doubling their salary. I have seen people move from the floor to management positions. People move from worker to Lead. (About a $5k raise)

You know what you are getting into when you accept the offer or not. I just thinkg people feel they are worth more and expected to move up instantly.

On the other hand I have seen some good, hard worrking people that know their stuff, get kind of screwed over.

As for raises, the company spent probably the majority of your last year putting you in paid training, that does nothing but boost your resume, and you haven't even done what you were hired to do yet.

So far its been a great fit for me, I complain at times, but I learn to understand the system, then work the system, to fix the issues. Much much better then fighting it. I network, if the delivery center doesn't work out, I found more then one avenue in FAD that I could see being happy with, and been networking with them.

FWIW I came from FL, I spent most of my adult life in Orlando, life is cheaper here, I think its pretty comparable to the space coast areas thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area