Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 11,911 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of HOAs. Where I live now, in VA, there are many great neighborhoods that don't have HOAs, though there are lots of HOA neighborhoods also.

I'm comtemplating retiring to the Charleston area, and from what I've seen I think Mount Pleasant would suit me. Except it seems that almost the entire town is part of one HOA or another.

Does anyone know if there are any nice areas in Mount Pleasant that are NOT in an HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,793 times
You did not mention what part of Virginia in which you live. If in Fairfax County you may be familiar with the older section of Springfield, Va. at the beltway. The Grove neighborhood in Mt. Pleasant is somewhat similar and they do not have a traditional HOA. Here is a video of "The Groves." Homes in The Groves sell in the $250,000 to $500,000 range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MTQEPwuBA

Another quite nice area of Mt. Pleasant is "Old Mt. Pleasant" and the historic "Old Village" in which there is not an HOA although they do have strict architectural controls on changing the exteriors of the historic homes in The Old Village. Homes in Old Mt. Pleasant are in the $250,000 to $500,000, while those in The Old Village generally are priced and sell in the $500,000 + range.

The Old Village of Mt. Pleasant

Old Village Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxKvVV9MR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyT24 View Post
I'm not a fan of HOAs. Where I live now, in VA, there are many great neighborhoods that don't have HOAs, though there are lots of HOA neighborhoods also.

I'm comtemplating retiring to the Charleston area, and from what I've seen I think Mount Pleasant would suit me. Except it seems that almost the entire town is part of one HOA or another.

Does anyone know if there are any nice areas in Mount Pleasant that are NOT in an HOA?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,722 times
Wouldn't an HOA keep people from parking their cars on the front lawn? I saw 4-5 in that short video. To me, thats tacky! Thats why builders pour driveways, to keep vehicle's off the lawns. There was actually a few cars that did that over in our area, I was so tempted to flaten their tires every time I had to drive by and see it. Its just a eyesore. With the help from our HOA, they did get it straightened out. Just my worthless opinion :-)

Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
LPI

110 posts, read 366,863 times
Although I can understand you not wanting to live in a HOA controlled community. There are many different degrees to HOA rules and restrictions. From very strict to relaxed.

What do you dislike about HOA's?

The amount of homes in Mount Pleasant that are not governed by an HOA is going to limit your choice.
Being that I relocated to Mount Pleasant from the UK, apart of the attraction of Mount Pleasant is that it is "well groomed" and that I feel has a lot to do with the use of communities and HOA's.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 11,911 times
Hi USC Joe and pokrplr

Joe - Thanks so much for the information and for posting the videos. The videos really gave me a good feeling about both neighborhoods. "The Groves" and "Old Mt. Pleasant" seem like they'd suit me and my husband very well, but I'm not sure about living in a place with strict architectural controls on changing the exteriors as you say is the case for the "Old Village" neighborhood.

I'm going to bring up Trulia, and Bing Maps (love the aerial views) and Google Maps (for the street views) and look over the neighborhoods.

Oh - and I am in Fairfax County and am familiar with the Springfield neighborhoods you mention.

pokrplr - In recent years on various internet forums I've discovered that people are often very passionate for having HOAs, or very passionate against living in an HOAs. Both sides have lots of reasons why, but both since I'm new here and not sure about having "passionate" discussions on things like that, and also because no one ever changes their mind about HOAs based on other people's posts (does anyone ever change their mind about anything based on other people's opinion?), I'll just leave it at "not a fan of HOAs". But I do appreciate your input.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM

There are about 170 homes in the historic district of the Old District that have restrictions on what can be done to the exteriors, very much like Old Town Alexandria. There are home in the Old Village that are not identified as having "historical significance" as well as some newer homes constructed on some miscellaneous lots in the Old Village. There are no such restrictions in Old Mt. Pleasant which borders the Old Village. The Old Village is unique in terms of location, feel and historical significance. It also has one of the highest rated Elementary schools in the state, Mt. Pleasant Academy which is public and new. I have begun a photographic historic survey of the Old Village for my enjoyment and help to others which I will be glad to share with forum members if there is any interest as I continue my research and add to one of my web sites.

135 Hibben Street

The home at 135 Hibben Street was built cir. 1850. It had 4 bedrooms and 3 full baths. It last sold in 2006. It is not for sale, but just representative on some of the historic homes found in the Old Village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyT24 View Post
Hi USC Joe and pokrplr

Joe - Thanks so much for the information and for posting the videos. The videos really gave me a good feeling about both neighborhoods. "The Groves" and "Old Mt. Pleasant" seem like they'd suit me and my husband very well, but I'm not sure about living in a place with strict architectural controls on changing the exteriors as you say is the case for the "Old Village" neighborhood.

I'm going to bring up Trulia, and Bing Maps (love the aerial views) and Google Maps (for the street views) and look over the neighborhoods.

Oh - and I am in Fairfax County and am familiar with the Springfield neighborhoods you mention.

pokrplr - In recent years on various internet forums I've discovered that people are often very passionate for having HOAs, or very passionate against living in an HOAs. Both sides have lots of reasons why, but both since I'm new here and not sure about having "passionate" discussions on things like that, and also because no one ever changes their mind about HOAs based on other people's posts (does anyone ever change their mind about anything based on other people's opinion?), I'll just leave it at "not a fan of HOAs". But I do appreciate your input.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,905 times
The Old Village is a great neighborhood... homes are between 300K for a 1,100 sq foot home to over a million for much larger.... I think an average home is 1 million.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
There are places in Old Mount Pleasant under $200k and the prices in the overall Charleston area have been dropping. For example, here is a 2000 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home for $179k on Center St. Home for Sale at 910 Center Street Mount Pleasant SC - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #1007571 - Realtor.com®

Here is a fixer unless you don't mind old linoleum floors throughout that is only a few blocks from the harbor for 200k Home for Sale at 1119 Simmons Street Mount Pleasant SC - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #1024421 - Realtor.com®

Another thing we have to be mindful of living in the Charleston area is making sure we get a permit to cut down trees in our yard.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There are places in Old Mount Pleasant under $200k and the prices in the overall Charleston area have been dropping. For example, here is a 2000 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home for $179k on Center St. Home for Sale at 910 Center Street Mount Pleasant SC - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #1007571 - Realtor.com®

Here is a fixer unless you don't mind old linoleum floors throughout that is only a few blocks from the harbor for 200k Home for Sale at 1119 Simmons Street Mount Pleasant SC - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #1024421 - Realtor.com®

Another thing we have to be mindful of living in the Charleston area is making sure we get a permit to cut down trees in our yard.
Yes there are places in OLD MT Pleasent. The first one is a HANYMAN special/bank owned meaning probably needs ALOT of work.

The second is under contract and doesn't look very nice.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM

The home at 1119 Simmons is quite small and is under contract with contingencies and the one at 910 Center Street appears to owned by the government and will be auctioned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area