Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM

16 posts, read 26,798 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the Charleston, SC area for a job position with Boeing. We have one week to make a decision. My husband received several offers with different companies and each are located in separate states; San Francisco California, Huntsville Alabama and Charleston South Carolina. We currently live in Florida and are trying to weight our options of everything we currently have, everything we would like to have and the financial difference between each locations. It’s seems we’re leaning towards SC. However, I would really like to hear from locals.

We’re a younger couple, finished with our education, established ourselves, ready to settle down and start a family. Therefore, bars, clubs, locations where the majority of college student’s live/hang out isn’t what we’re looking for. We’ve had 4 years of the college life and are past all that.

Our ideal location would be in a nice subdivision, family oriented, close proximity to Boeing- approximately 20 minutes or less, very safe- day and night, 1800-2500 sq. ft rental home. We would like to rent for a year to become familiar with everything and determine where exactly we want to be.

-What’s great about living in SC?
-For approximately $1000-1300.00 monthly, what kind of home can we rent?
-Do a lot of homes offer private swimming pools (not community pools)?
-What locations/areas are the best?
-What kind of prices is expected for yard maintenance? We currently pay $25.00 a month for a 1 yr. contract
-Do you have good/great health care facilities?
-Best restaurants?
-Best Bakeries?
-Best shopping locations?
-Non-denominational Churches?
-Finally, any suggestions on excellent veterinarians and groomers for our 4-legged baby?

I really appreciate any and all replies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
Hi I moved here from S. Florida 6 years ago and LOVE it here. Pools are not common and hard to find in your price range. Most communities have pools. Since you do not have children your options are pretty open. I think your rental range may be too low for most areas for a SFH but maybe a townhome or condo. Then you wont have to worry about yard work.

I personally do not handle rentals but maybe start your search in Summerville or West Ashley. I looked in Mount Pleasant but there was only 1 for under 1300 a month. When I moved here 6 years ago I rented and I couldn't find anything I like under 1500 in Mt Pleasant.

The rentals that came up in my search with the sq footage you want are going to be in North Charleston and Monks Corner. You may have to go up in rent or lower in sq ft. North Charleston is where Boeing is so they may be fine for you.

A few Realtors on this board do rentals so they have more suggestion for you. Good Luck! :>)

Last edited by beachme; 05-05-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 26,798 times
Thank you for replying. We're willing to increase our rental rates for a great location! How does the Summerville and West Ashely area measure up to Mt. Pleasant area?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
We recently moved to the Mount Pleasant/Charleston area. My husband started working here in the Fall of 2007 and it took until last summer to finalize our move. So....we had three years to explore.

We started out thinking Summerville area. My husband's office is right down town though and he HATED the commute. He ended up getting an apt. in Mount Pleasant and that was it for him and I. Everything is so convenient.

Private swimming pools are not the norm -- mostly community pools.

GREAT restaurants. Fun indie music scene......lots to do on the beach and otherwise.

As for the area to live. All 3 areas have great communities to choose from. Summerville is a little further out but I don't think the commute to Boeing will be bad....others can confirm that. West Ashley would be the closest to Boeing. Mount Pleasant -- depends on where you end up. You could end up being further than Summerville depending on the community you choose.

Obviously most of us are biased, we think you can't lose where ever you choose.

As for the best restaurants, vets, etc. That will depend on where you end up. Charleston is a very friendly dog community. Dogs are everywhere so there are many vets & groomers. Until you determine where you want to live -- it's difficult to make a recommednation.

Shopping. Charleston shopping is different than what I was use to in the Atlanta area. Atlanta has some of the finest malls in the southeast area...but all malls. Here in Charleston the two more traditional malls aren't that great. They have some of the key stores but they aren't the best. There is an outlet mall and MP has a 'Town Center Mall' with mroe chain stores. Downtown Charleston has lots of shopping on King Street -- some of the major chains. I do think that the charm of shopping in Charleston area, are the independent retail outlets. So far the mega chains haven't forced these boutiquey stall shops out. Hope they never do -- even if it is taking me awhile to adjust to this new kind of shopping. I know that once I find one or two stores that carry my kind of stuff I'll be happy...but now I struggle that I can't go to one big place and find everything I'm looking for.

Churches -- I'll let the other folks fill you in on that. I know my FIL and his wife have enjoyed visiting various churches here in Mount Pleasant & downtown. They love going downtown to go to church.

Health care seems fine but I'm the healthy kind of gal who goes to a doctor once a year and that's it...so I may not find out good or bad until something happens to me.

Yard Maintenance -- I would suspect that it would depend on the size of the lawn but that 25.00 seems low for even Charleston -- you might pay more.

Rental of home -- that's where you might find an issue. Not an abundance of rental units in this area...so not sure the market price is going to be very competitive. Some of those in the rental market might answer your questions better.

I seem to be deferring most of the answers to others now so time I give up......

San Fransisco -- WOW -- I would explore that option BIG TIME...

Huntsville -- I've been many times for week end trips and would pass on this one....but that's me

Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM

370 posts, read 947,686 times
Is staying in Florida an option that you would also consider? If you are looking at a move, I think you will do very well with a move to the Charleston area. Lots of nice neighborhoods within easy commute to Boeing. Summerville would be my recommendation. Some of your specific questions on best areas, shopping, etc. can be found in previous threads by using the search feature, and is sure to provide you with a lot of good info.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
SUMMERVILLE!!!! You will LOVE it!!! We are just a hop from Charleston on route 26. If you want a quiet family friendly oriented town, then this is the place. There is so much to see and do around the area and you are just minutes from the big malls in North Charleston. I can't say enough about Summerville!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
I don't have anything to add to what everyone else has told you. I just wanted to say that I have lived in San Francisco, and it is an amazing city. However, if you are looking at the same budget there as here in S.C. You will find it impossible to rent in a nice area. Even with the fall of house prices in that area you should expect to pay at least twice the price you mentioned, and probably you would have to be very lucky to find that. There are some nice communities across the various bridges that will be cheaper, but even 30 miles from the city can equal well over an hours commute.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
roxanne, you live in MtP, you won't find much over there for that price range, but you can find some nice places in nice neighborhoods in Summerville, Goose Creek and Moncks Corner......

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Tom,
I know this.
She's been given all that information already. I was talking about the San Francisco Bay area in my post, since she mentioned that as being another possibility.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I would suspect any job offer in San Fransisco would be adjusted for the increased cost of living......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area