Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,895 times

Advertisements

My 13 year old loves fishing and we are looking for spots to fish off the shore. We'd rather not have to pay pier fees but are willing if that is the only way to go. We've noticed fishing off the peninsula downtown Charleston and talked to a couple guys. Anyone want to offer advice on where we should go and what we should use for bait/tackle. He's done a lot of fishing off the coast of Maine but no salt-water yet in this area. He isn't picky on what he catches, he just wants to get some experience under his belt and learn how it is done around here. He's been watching videos online to get some ideas.

So we are looking on advice on where to go, what is biting where and what to use. He's been begging me for 3 weeks and we are going to venture out this week.

Thanks...I know it is sometimes hard to give out the sweet spots and tips so we definitely appreciate any feedback. He's a natural at it and fishing really speaks to his soul (fresh and salt water).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Check with Captain Rick, he will steer ya in the right direction.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
You can check out the SC DNR website for local fishing reports, also the Charleston Angler has all kinds of information and tackle along with some really helpful people....

Lake Moultrie has lots of spots along it's shore to fish from also.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,255 times
The only real tackle shop in the area is Haddrells tackle shop, west ashley and in mt pleasant.
They are the BEST when it comes to good fishing information and reports!

Fishing off the shore at this time of year is not good. (The water is just to hot)
The fall (Late Sept-Oct) is the best time to go fishing off the shore, and in a boat!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Thanks. I will check those websites out and pass on the information. Looks like the middle school he will be attending has a Youth Angler Club! I did get my saltwater license (doesn't look like he needs one). He went from having my dad know the ins/outs of fishing (he's done commercial fishing, recreational fishing and clamming but all in Maine) to having to relearn how things are done around here. He'd also like to get a net and give that a shot. He just catch and releases unless he catches fish bait. I looked at some charter boats....holy moly expensive.

City-data rocks. It is hard moving to someplace new and figuring things out when you don't any locals. We haven't lived in Maine for 7 years but summer fishing in Maine is a highlight for him. Where we live inland SC before here just had freshwater near by.

Thanks

Julie

Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Over there in Goose Creek you have Bushy park and The Goose Creek Reservoir which are both very good fishing areas.....

Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Over there in Goose Creek you have Bushy park and The Goose Creek Reservoir which are both very good fishing areas.....
watch out for the gators over there, and don't eat any of the fish u catch... they have very high mercury levels in them over there, not enough oxygen in the water that far in either...

I'd go surf fishing either at breach inlet on the isle of palms, coast guard area near the lighthouse on folly or by ft moultrie on sullivans island...

u can bottom fish with the double hooks, egg weight rig for flounder, float with an open spool for spotail... all using either live minnows, fiddler crabs, cut or live shrimp, or squid... try your luck at each!

years ago you could fish off of nearly every bridge around, they all but cut that out now that Chas has grown so large with so much traffic... used to be able to fish just about anywhere there was water

Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM

We bought a 4 ft cast net and I can't believe how complicated it seems....lol. We've been watching youtube videos but I think we are going to need a lot of practice. We were hoping to try it out today at a spot in Mt Pleasant but with the rain...we might try tomorrow. We are hoping to catch some bait with the net. The tackle shop you mentioned was very helpful and we plan on going back.

I do worry about gators. We mostly just catch and release (other than bait of course). Although we do want to try eating some of what we catch, eventually.

Thanks again for the information. We are learning a lot by the posts.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
use that cast net off the boat launch of bushy park in goose creek. We used to catch our share of bait fish. We'd then fish right off that dock casting back towards shore. Plenty of crabs/flounder/spots to catch. May even luck out and get a red drum.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,067 times
Default fish & catching are two different things...

Grab a beer and prepare to sit and read the forums for awhile on CharlestonFishing.Com-Charleston's Premiere Fishing Site! Make sure you go to 'All Forums' and hit the ones you want. Especially, Surf/Pier.

As far as throwing the net, I learned at a open house at Charleston Angler, (the only competition to Haddrells). Check out both websites for seminars.
It seems the local custom is to hold one length of net in you teeth. Pluff mud is not pleasant and there is a better way.

Search youtube for 'throwing a castnet from a kayak'. It is a simplified method.
Tight lines!
jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area